Russia refuses to ratify Kyoto protocol

Originally posted by nico
Again you aren't explaining in adequate terms, expand please. Also show me the name of this logical fallacy.
"Destroy the environment" is debatable. If that wording was intentional hyperbole then ok, but it sounded like you were being serious.
Originally posted by SpyMoose
Actually, apathy has no impact on the chemical composition of the atmosphere and the Ozone layer is still being depleted by human emissions.
Specifically, in no uncertain terms and intent for no ambiguity, I know that the sum total of human activity in all of history (recorded or otherwise), did not contribute to the formation or the existence of the ozone hole.

Let me put it this way: Do you know what the biggest destroyer of ozone is? The Sun. The sun has the greatest interaction with the atmosphere (at least in these respects) over the poles where the magnetic field enters the crust and particles are allowed to follow it down. This is the same effect that leads to aurora. The poles are the region where the ozone is most at jepoardy and the hardest to replenish. Add in some other interesting effect derrived from ice having a high albedo and there never should have been any ozone there to begin with. And the hole will change sizes, appear to stabilize, shrink, and go through a complex behaivor goverened mostly by the eleven year solar cycle (offset by a production lag), and to a lesser degree the area of ice available underneath it. I was seething mad when eco-nazis saw the hole stabilize and then patted themselves on the back for it. Despite the fact that a number of people, myself included, had predicted this behaivor right down to the month, they still took it as some kind of huge victory for the enviornment. Like I said, it was some of the worst science of the last century, and today we're still wrestling with it's legacy. The bandwagon was so huge and so many formerly respected people bought off on it that it had a life of it's own. Today, 10 years later, there are still people talking about it and NASA's orbiting probes to study it under the guise of "studying the sun's interaction with ozone depletion." They won't come right out and say "we fucked this all up" because it has too much momentum and they'll lose the last schreds of credibility they have. So they're doing a couple decades of research until everyone has forgotten how it all got started and then they'll loose interest. It's all politics now, which all but precludes the possibility of rational thought. The same is becoming true of global waming. The lack of evidence is almost as apalling and mechanisms are being speculated at with less than 25 years of careful observation.
I would love to hear your thoughts on evolution.
:confused:

"Destroy the environment" is debatable. If that wording was intentional hyperbole then ok, but it sounded like you were being serious.

So the environmental damage is caused by nations like Rwanda I assume? Let's be realistic here Stokes, are we regressing into reality repression. Explain to me why the "West" is not responsible for the current environmental mess of the past 200 years? Didn't the industrial revolution start in England not India? And you said the argument was fallacious...show me the fallaciousness, you haven't yet.

Explain to me why the "West" is not responsible for the current environmental mess of the past 200 years?
You're missing the point.

The first question that must be answered is what damage the climate has incurred from human actions, and the second question is whether or not the Kyoto Protocol is the correct way to address them.

Once scientists can reach a pragmatically unequivocal conclusion, anything resembling the Kyoto Protocol is jumping the gun.

Tis the point

Of course it's the point, a major clause in the Kyoto accord speaks of this, you cannot discuss Kyoto without addressing this issue. The West has had her time blocking the sun. Now we have to allow the other 5/6 of the world develop as well. Sorry stokes, but that's the way it works. As tiassa has said many times, you want us to conform to you, but welcome to Darwinism, conform to us or die. :p

you cannot discuss Kyoto without addressing this issue
...which is why we cannot consider it until we know what, exactly, the issue is. We don't know the source of the problem. We don't even know if it is a problem. And if it is, we don't know that Kyoto is the solution. You are still missing the point that science has to justify Kyoto's mission and its merit before it can be honestly regarded as a worthwhile endeavour.

Stokes

Then again you are in the wrong forum, here we discuss politics. If you want to discuss the science go to the science forums. I really could less of a shit about the science of it. All I care about is the political implications of it. Sadly Stokes millions around this world believe that we are contributing to global warming and so convincing is the evidence that we are doing something about it. Let's try to be cognitive about this one stokes. Science in Science forum, politics in politics forum. One day my son, you'll get it. ;)

I really could less of a shit about the science of it.
Then you will forever have a poorly informed point of view. Kyoto is completely unnecessary for everybody. The planet doesn't need it. The US doesn't need it. The Russians don't need it. The EU doesn't need it. Neither do China, India, and everybody else. It is an awful idea that nobody should be endorsing.

A basic understanding of the scientific principles involved is a requirement for being able to debate its other points of issue. Because Kyoto is unjustified on the most foundational scientific level, the debate you are trying to have about the economics of it is entirely irrelevant.

Just because I could less of a shit about the science here doesn't mean I am ignorant of the issue. I, (many would agree) that if you want to debate the scientific aspect of Kyoto, don't do it here. Here you see, we see Kyoto as this. It exists; it is one nation short of implementation. What are the economic, political effects of Kyoto that is what concerns us here. Not whether CO2 is the problem, you haven't been able to show me anything that is swaying my opinion. I have seen sources saying it exists. Panels of international climatologists agree that we are indeed increasing the world's temperature. That argument that I just presented doesn’t concern itself with politics one iota! I suggest you do the following, go to the science forums. Make a thread there, with ppl who are more intelligent about this then the WEP ppl. Come here present that thread, and then make a topic about the political aspect of the Kyoto accord. Kyoto is real Stokes, get over it. :rolleyes:

So, since you seem to think that the US and others should all sign off on it, and given that its utility is questionable and its justification is unsubstantiated, why go to all the trouble?

Take your time responding. It's snowing like a motherfucker here so I'm going to go dig the snowblower out of the garage and get to work. I'll probably be back in around three hours.

unsubstantiated

Sorry Stoky the only thing here that is, "unsubstantiated" is your position. Both in terms of the scientific debate, and the rational behind not putting this scientific forum. Your wasting nothing but WEP forum space (as usual).

Here watch this and and please cease:

http://www.exn.ca/Stories/2002/12/03/51.asp

Click on the The Kyoto Free-for-all link near the bottom.

It's snowing like a motherfucker here so I'm going to go dig the snowblower out of the garage and get to work. I'll probably be back in around three hours.

MEOW! :D , well stokes you have indeed appealed to my pity for you. A logical fallacy that works in your case.

Re: unsubstantiated

Click on the The Kyoto Free-for-all link near the bottom.
His entire premise is based on an appeal to popularity. There is not a modicum of scientific merit to his argument, although the overall message that people should "get out and learn the specifics" is one I wholly agree with.

Embrace Kyoto all you want. That's fine with me. Just don't fool yourself into pretending that it's founded on solid scientific principles.

There is not a modicum of scientific merit to his argument,

And you assume yours is somehow different then his assessment? I yet to hear anything from you other then DOSENT WORK! :rolleyes: Simply compelling, and really no one wants to hear your arguments here in WEP b/c again this is the wrong forum to discuss such issues.

Embrace Kyoto all you want. That's fine with me. Just don't fool yourself into pretending that it's founded on solid scientific principles.

Yet yours is? But regardless... Kyoto is going to implemented, let's get into the political fallout of this in the forum called World Events and Politics Oh my what a revelation!!! Stop wasting time Stoky boy!

Originally posted by Stokes Pennwalt
Like I said, it was some of the worst science of the last century, and today we're still wrestling with it's legacy.

I’m just trying to point out that the scientific establishment in America (or the 'Eco nazi's’ if you like) support the idea that humans are causing global warming and are depleting the ozone. My links support this, and your claims of 'bad science' have so far been supported only by your condescending tone. Unless I'm mistaken and you are realty working on a post-doctoral thesis in the field of meteorology, I really don’t care about your opinions on the science, I would rather see an argument supported by folks who would actually know.

All other things aside, ratifying Kyoto makes good sense for Russia, because since the collapse of the Soviet Union they have been far below their allowed emissions cap, and stand to make billions of dollars selling off their emissions credits.

Back to relevancy

All other things aside, ratifying Kyoto makes good sense for Russia, because since the collapse of the Soviet Union they have been far below their allowed emissions cap, and stand to make billions of dollars selling off their emissions credits.

Indeed, the Russians have already gone well below the 5.2% cut in CO2 emissions from the Soviet era, and other states like Ukraine, and Kazakhstan as well. Nations like Canada, Japan, would be more then wiling to buy, considering the massive decrease in oil/coal consumption in all those nations. Russia again as I said is going to Kyoto for some Euro$. The EU is exerting much pressure to pass Kyoto. Consider this, the US let's go 5,840,039,000 (2000) tones of CO2, meanwhile the Chinese who have 1.2 billion ppl emit around 2,826,782,912 (1999). In order for this initiative to be successful, the US has to join, and I believe it will eventually. Kyoto is only a first step, really meant for 1st world nations, the second step I heard is to include the developing world. It feels good to talk about relevant things in WEP, doesn't it?

Originally posted by SpyMoose
I’m just trying to point out that the scientific establishment in America (or the 'Eco nazi's’ if you like) support the idea that humans are causing global warming and are depleting the ozone. My links support this, and your claims of 'bad science' have so far been supported only by your condescending tone. Unless I'm mistaken and you are realty working on a post-doctoral thesis in the field of meteorology, I really don’t care about your opinions on the science, I would rather see an argument supported by folks who would actually know.
The trouble is, the evidence does not back up this litany. First, energy and other natural resources have become more abundant, not less so since the Club of Rome published “The Limits to Growth” in 1972. Second, more food is now produced per head of the world's population than at any time in history. Fewer people are starving. Third, although species are indeed becoming extinct, only about 0.7% of them are expected to disappear in the next 50 years, not 25-50%, as has so often been predicted. And finally, most forms of environmental pollution either appear to have been exaggerated, or are transient—associated with the early phases of industrialisation and therefore best cured not by restricting economic growth, but by accelerating it. One form of pollution—the release of greenhouse gases that causes global warming—does appear to be a long-term phenomenon, but its total impact is unlikely to pose a devastating problem for the future of humanity. A bigger problem may well turn out to be an inappropriate response to it.
http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?story_id=718860
Last year, scientists working for the UK Climate Impacts Programme said that global temperatures were "the hottest since records began" and added: "We are pretty sure that climate change due to human activity is here and it's accelerating."

This announcement followed research published in 1998, when scientists at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia declared that the 1990s had been hotter than any other period for 1,000 years.

Such claims have now been sharply contradicted by the most comprehensive study yet of global temperature over the past 1,000 years. A review of more than 240 scientific studies has shown that today's temperatures are neither the warmest over the past millennium, nor are they producing the most extreme weather - in stark contrast to the claims of the environmentalists.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/06/nclim06.xml
A review of the research literature concerning the environmental consequences of increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide leads to the conclusion that increases during the 20th Century have produced no deleterious effects upon global weather, climate, or temperature. Increased carbon dioxide has, however, markedly increased plant growth rates. Predictions of harmful climatic effects due to future increases in minor greenhouse gases like CO2 are in error and do not conform to current experimental knowledge.
http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm
MYTH Planet earth is currently undergoing global warming

FACT Accurate and representative temperature measurements from satellites and balloons show that the planet has cooled significantly in the last two or three years, losing in only 18 months 15% of the claimed warming which took over 100 years to appear — that warming was only one degree fahrenheit (half of one degree Celsius) anyway, and part of this is a systematic error from groundstation readings which are inflated due to the 'urban heat island effect' i.e. local heat retention due to urban sprawl, not global warming...and it is these, 'false high' ground readings which are then programmed into the disreputable climate models, which live up to the GIGO acronym — garbage in, garbage out.
http://www.abd.org.uk/green_myths.htm

And if that's not enough to convince you, I know 19,200 scientists that would like to have a word with you, and whose conclusions mimic mine verbatim.

All in all, the currently pervasive concept of global warming is an anathema of pseudoscience, and really a political agenda masquerading as truth. The real truth is that we just don't know enough about this kind of thing yet. And as I said in a previous semi-rant, there are some people conducting real research into this, but their findings generally don't make the media due to lack of requisite amounts of attention whoring and aggrandized melodrama. People want to hear exciting things. If somebody says, hey, we'll all be dead in 20 years and kittens will rule the world, it sells. A bunch of methodic and thorough scientists saying "oh hay guyz, our bad, nothin's gonna happen after all" isn't exciting and never makes the news. Nor is it romantic enough for our cookie-cutter campus demagogues to add to their toolbox of rhetoric. I also have a lingering suspicion that some of the kneejerk environmentalism is a symptom of the after-shocks of the whole anti-establishment Marxism craze that was cool for like ten years during the 60s and 70s. You know, the whole "give us another reason to prove that capitalism is BAAAAAD" motivation. I guarantee you that if you go to a Greenpeace protest and ask the guy with the dreadlocks and hacky sack how many ionesphere charge layers there are, and how solar radiation affects them (an intrinsic part of understanding the ozone hole issue), he will stare blankly at you before coughing up a lungful of bong smoke.

Anyway.

This article is a good article that pretty much sums up the current state of the environmentalist movement. There's some stuff about global warming, the ozone hole, and all the other line items in your average Greenpeace protester's pamphlet. Reading it will give you a good idea of how much political agenda has poisoned what is a very important issue; transmogrifying otherwise legitimate research into fictitious charicatures.
nico came out of the closet to say:
And you assume yours is somehow different then his assessment? I yet to hear anything from you other then DOSENT WORK! Simply compelling, and really no one wants to hear your arguments here in WEP b/c again this is the wrong forum to discuss such issues.
If you're not equipped to grasp the depth of the issue, it's easier to just admit it. Nobody's going to think any less of you.
Yet yours is?
It would seem that way, yes.

Typical Stokes...ad homs!

*YAWN* your attempts to try to deface me show me you have little argument value left. Jay in the video said you would mis-quote, and mis-represent points made. That irrelevancy posted above is really showing how weak your arguments are. Your proving Tiassa right at every turn. It's sad stokes that you can't comprehend the simple idea that you are posting irrelevancies here in WEP. You expect us to conform to your inferior reading comprehension that has been noted by other posters. Politics, not science, are you mentally disabled? That was not meant as an ad hom, that is a serious question. Anyways to the rest of WEP ignore that mass of irrelevancy, and post of the POLITICS of Kyoto, not the science. Stokes if you wanted to talk about the science then you should have said so in your first post. :rolleyes: You're not a very cognitive person are you stokes.

HURRRRRRRRR I can't read
rolleyesbarf.gif

I like how you can't seem to admit that Kyoto is irrelevant until its merit is proven. I suggest you read the links I posted above.

Anyway, now that nico has pretty much proven his premeditated ignorance, I'm done dealing with his drivel. Does anybody else have any questions?

Stokes Pennwalt

Interesting shall we look:

I like how you can't seem to admit that Kyoto is irrelevant until its merit is proven. I suggest you read the links I posted above.

I never said otherwise, you are putting words into my mouth. I said that the world has accepted the merits of Kyoto already, that's what I concern myself with. You seem like you can't admit you have reading comprehension problems. Last time I checked this is a politics forum, again why aren't you answering my very serious question... are you mentally retarded, or do you have a serious case of dyslexia? I see Stokes that you are digressing further into the hole that you are digging. Your keeping up a fruitless enterprise Stokes.

Anyway, now that ...

Stokes has shown he can't read correctly, and comprehend what is written. Do we have anything to talk about Kyoto politically?

rcain.gif
It's ok stokes we all know.

lets see... that’s an article from an economist, an online petition, and an association of car drives. That’s punditry, not science. The only thing that came close to your point was the article about scientists finding out that the world had been warm in some other time once too. Oh well, I guess it’s the nature of conservatism that science is always trumped by pundits and group think spouting the status quo. If there is respectable science that supports the idea that global warming is not occurring or at least being aided by greenhouse gasses (a term no one refutes btw) I have yet to see it.

And to clarify my comment about evolution, you can find a wealth of websites like yours for global warming, saying that science indicates that evolution is false. However you cannot find real scientists to say it.

But I agree with nico that its a topic for another thread. The issue at hand is wether or not Russia will adopt Kyoto, and it looks like the answer is yes, despite your first impressions in this thread, that rejection was just bluster from somone who's opinion didn't matter, and it makes economic sence for Russia to ratify.

Last edited:
Back