samurai

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by BLASTOFF, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

who has studied the samurai, there way off life,the things they beleived in,what they lived for and died for.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've seen a bunch of samurai movies. One interesting thing I learned about them regarding the custom of ritual suicide is that in it's pure original gangsta form, you were supposed to not only cut open your guts but also fling them in the direction of your enemy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

I think that's a myth, personally, harikiri was ritual suicide for after you lost a battle. Having lost the battle, and lived, you were shamed by defeat and had to take your life in repent. You were supposed to drive a knife into your abdomen and disembowel yourself, and assuming another samurai was there, he would cut off your head.

The samurai were addicted to their honor code of Bushido, similar to the Knights in England but a touch more radical. To die in battle was of the highest honor. A lot of samurai clans look at their sword as their soul, making it the most precious item they ever possessed. Some clans were so respectful that they could not make physical contact with the blade, only with a cloth to clean it.

The Samurai were some of the most disciplined people on earth. They awoke early every day and dedicated themselves to the perfection of whatever they did throughout the daylight hours.

Men were always the warriors, even from childhood they were taught the philosophies and how to fight. The women were usually caretakers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Seems kind of silly.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Depends on the perspective really.
    For example, I find it extremely silly that Americans are so touchy about their national flag, which in some other countries is just another piece of cloth.
    Same with swords and samurais - totally subjective and we can't judge any more than why one person is an atheist and not a jew.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are right, I have placed great shame on sciforums... so here goes...

arghhhh...
    ack...
    ew, look at that...
    ahhhhhh!

There we go, all better.

...thump.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I never said you were, but... looks at spidergoat,
    hmm, quite artistic, a good decoration for some japanese psycho movies,
    does a few more chops to increase the gore level. Ah, better

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. nameless Registered Senior Member

The 'Way of the Sword' is as all'Ways'
    and as all'Ways',
    must be abandoned to Master it.
    Mastery of one 'Way' is Mastery of all'Ways'.

12. nameless Registered Senior Member

Was there a particular question?

13. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Blastoff-Have you ever read Miyamoto Musashi's "Book of the Five Rings"?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Is that where he beats everyone with a wooden sword?

15. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

No, it's a philosophy book. Covers a lot of physical practice and whatnot as well as the mindset for a samurai. It's very old but still in print. Unfortunately, the wusses of today try to pawn it off as a "mental attitude for business success" or a "self-improvement" book instead of accepting it for what it is; a book on martial training. I first came across it when I lived in Santa Cruz and found it very interesting. I learned a lot about sword-fighting (my brother and I used to practice with wooden swords) and found out I'm not bad with a pair of samurai swords. (Broadswords I blow chunks with. It sucks when your sword is almost as big as you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

16. nameless Registered Senior Member

It is a book of 'strategy'.
    'Strategy' is applicable across the spectrum of all interaction.
    (Case in point; Japan almost owns Amerikkka!)

Oxygen, sure you aren't thinking of the "Art of War"?

17. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

oxygen/ no i have not read that book but i will be on the look out for it this weekend, thank you for the information, plus i to am trained in the use of the japanese sword.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I highly recommend Zatoichi, the recent movie or the 60's TV series about the blind swordsman, both are awesome.

19. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

spidergoat/ you should stop watching to many martial art movies,the japanese dagger or tanto which along with the similar akuchi (which had no guard) would be normally preferred weapon for seppuku.the condemmed man would kneel and be naked to the waist, he would slowely stab himself below the waist on the left hand side, he drew the dagger slowely across to the righthand side, then turning itin the wound gave a slight cut upwards,the second samurai would stand over him, with his sword poised in the air for a moment, there was a flash,a heavey ugly thud a crashing fall,with one blow the head had been severed. seppuku.

20. nameless Registered Senior Member

IMO, the new movie sucked ass! The original series with Shintaro Katsu are excellent!

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Um, yeah BLASTOFF, I saw Shogun.

Nameless, I'm sorry you didn't like it, the CG blood alone was amazing! The TV series is way better than anything on American TV during that time.

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i have only read this post, i will read the rest of the tthread after i reply now,

i have studied the samurai, i study the arts of the samurai i will tell you anything you would like to know (not saying i know EVERYTHING about fuedel japan but i know a decent amount.

peace.

23. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

nameless No, I've read "The Art of War". It deals with large scale tactics while the "Book of Five Rings" is more one-on-one combat. There's another book that is bundled with the current B&N release of "Rings", but I can't think of the name right now. It's in a similar vein.

(PS: What's with the KKK reference? If you think white supremacy is rampant in America, come to California and the rest of the Southwest. We might as well be a Spanish colony again with all the Mexicans over here. The downside for me is that I can't stand the vulgar way the language is spoken these days. The upside is we have a lot of great restaurants.)