Sayonara Sciforums.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Scaramouche, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scaramouche Registered Member

I had intended to only mess around with Sciforums again for a while while, until I return to work in a few weeks. I usually don't have time for screwing around on forums anyway, but have some time off. However, it looks like I'll be leaving early. As with the first time I quit this particular forum several years ago, the reason is shockingly bad administration. Let me explain.

Example 1.
    • Started a thread.
    • As shown here, the forum admin posted personal comments and questions directed at me and completely failed to address the topic.
    • That same admin then closed the thread because people were throwing in shit addressed to users rather than addressing the topic.

Example 2.
    • I started a poll specifically to see how many folks thought string theory was or wasn't real science, and for very good reason. it ain't science.
    • Same admin locked the thread because he has psychic powers and claimed the reason the thread was created was to spawn a flame war.

Example 3.
    Another admin edits other peoples' threads and posts so much that he's created his own thread to keep an account of how much he does so.

So that's basically not acceptable. The idea of hypocritical oafs restricting discussion to that extent, in such a manner, is just well below what I consider an acceptable standard. While some user interactions on this forum are rather silly, the administration is of even lower standard. So that's it for me. Heading to another forum for a couple of weeks.

Good night, and good luck.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Good luck.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Didn't realize I'd gotten a promotion.

Peace out.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Bye Adam, and best wishes. Maybe we'll see you again in a few years.

8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So I'm not a red flag to lock threads?

9. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

damn, we disagree constantly but you're opinionated and aussie, and a prolific thread starter and poster, i'll miss your input.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Prolific is not the same as 'good' or 'quality.' Would you like to have prolific moles on your face?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Personally, I think we've just regained a bit of sanity.

11. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

its sciforums, insanity/stupidity makes the wheels go round. scaramouche's threads/posts/influence prompted at least half my posts over the last [however long he's been here]. i predict me getting bored with sciforums in his absence.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Dreams CAN com true... yep... souns like "anuther-one" has jus been encouraged to get the hell out of dodge... lol.!!!

I dont know why the slow bleed tho... how bout a clean sweep an get rid of all the trouble makers at once... then this place will be a little peace of heaven as "God" wants.???

A-Man.TTT

13. kmguru Staff Member

Before the Goggle popularity and Wikipedia, Sciforum did provide a place to exchange information. Now pretty much everything can be searched and found.

There are some information that are not available publicly such as business strategies, certain health related information, proprietary information and challenge to misinformation on the media etc. but to collect them, there has to be members who are experts in those areas and willing to contribute.

Unless we can come up with some serious value propositions, this forum could degenerate to a few squabbling members.

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Ant the idea to get rid of the riff-raff an then the esperts will com.???

Dont the Administraters know who the undesirables are... why not get rid of 'em in 1 fell swoop.???

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I come here for the squabbling.

16. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Geez, this is uncannily similar to a PM exchange I just took part in.

I think that if all of the riff-raff is gone, people will not be incited to participate, experts or not. It would seem that you need a balance of wing nuts, interested laymen and experts to maintain a stimulating environment. Perhaps it's just a pendulum effect, and things will loosen up again some in the future. After all, I would think one motive an expert might have to post would be to educate. The very few scientific conversations I have engaged in were in my areas of expertise. Other than that, I mostly post in Religion, World, Life, etc. subfora.

Perhaps they are not so presumptuous as to think they can definively identify an "undesirable" or maybe they are just searching for the right balance. You are assuming that Admin really wants to get rid of all of them.

Does anyone know what the stats for total membership count, posts per day, etc. would look like if graphed out month by month over the last, say, 3 years?

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

As evidenced by the recent S.A.M. debacle, one man's trouble-maker is another man's valued poster.

I certainly think that Saramouche was a trouble-maker, and I have a feeling he would have been in for a ban from me sooner or later, if his posting habits continued. But others in this thread seem o have different opinions.

18. kmguru Staff Member

I would agree to that. I think sometime in 2001 or 2002 we ran into a funk. Then I had to post a few controversial topics to get some serious posts going while privately PMing to several key participants as to my intent.

But that is a can of worms. The moderators have to be on the toe to not let a street fight start. Can be done...though.

The Moderators and key posters need to come together for a plan of action.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but when I ask a question I get told to google it or look it up on wikipedia. Nobody seems to like discussing things

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Guess it depends on the subject and the respondent, Orley. I didn't send anyone to Google in the "honey thread." In fact, I don't ever remember having made such suggestions at any time. (Disclaimer: I might have, just for reference, but if I did I also included a link.)

21. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Administraters can do as they wish... an no dout they have a list... an who ever they identify as undesirable is by-god undesirable... case closed... lol... but i wonder why they jus dont ban 'em an be done wit it.???

I dont know of the guy... but i thank moderaters are jus bein used by Administraton to help carry out the dirty work... so mayb i answrd my own queston... Administraton wants to keep clean hands as posible,???

22. kira Valued Senior Member

Here is one that is available: http://www.big-boards.com/board/1208/

According to that, the daily statistics for the last one month:

Etc. I think the stats are generated automatically there.

23. kmguru Staff Member

Nice stats. But a sort by "online users daily average" I think we get 1. May be our tracker is not working!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.