SciContest! Why can't matter be made of photons?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by BenTheMan, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vkothii Banned Banned

I didn't know that photons have inertial mass, which is what we assign to bodies that are gravitationally interacting, that's in the two "frames" I've heard of, one's a few centuries old though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vern Registered Senior Member

I didn't either; did I say something about that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

That's what inertial masses do in Newtonian and Einsteinian space and time - the dynamics as it were.
    The two knowns. Yours appears to be an unknown?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

Light can't escape black holes. Gravity. Photons.
    Something wrong with that?

8. Vkothii Banned Banned

With what?

9. Vern Registered Senior Member

I'm sure you know that photon's do attract gravitationally. That doesn't imply there's inertial mass there I don't think.

True in theory; I'm not sure the theory is 100% reality. I suspect there is a saturation constant that limits the process so that the singularity that is supposed to exist in Black Holes is never quite reached.

10. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

I probably don't understand specifically the details of what you guys are debating.
    Nonetheless, my point is that photons must be "gravitationally interacting" because they are observed to bend around stars and are trapped within black holes by gravity...right?

11. Vkothii Banned Banned

Right.
    But not because photons have mass. That would mean they couple to a certain quantum field too, and they don't in any other model I've heard of.
    That's been accepted for publication, I mean.

12. Vern Registered Senior Member

You're doing great Mike Honcho; photons do interact by gravity. And you are clear about the Black Hole theory of light being trapped. I was just giving a personal opinion of mine that is different from conventional theory. My personal opinion is that Black Holes do not contain a singularity.

13. Vkothii Banned Banned

That doesn't make sense.
    What does it mean, in your opinion?

Also, can you expand on what: "trapped in a black hole" means, a little? you mean they are still photons, still in this hole, it's a sort of "photon storage depot"?

14. Vern Registered Senior Member

No argument; but a photon theory advocate would claim that mass is one state of photons, the other state is free photons.

15. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

me niether. its my understanding that a singularity is more of a mathematical term anyway. its not the actual "thing" at the center of a black hole. thats undefined by the math (an infinity).

16. Vkothii Banned Banned

No, you've lost me.

How about back one step, in the induction?
    When is mass a "state" of photons?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  17. Vern Registered Senior Member

Photons attract each other gravitationally. I thought every body knew that. It is mainstream theory; I'm not making that stuff up. That is not an opinion of mine; it is an observation

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Vkothii Banned Banned

I think it's no such thing, however.

So what does happen to a photon that encounters an event horizon?

19. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

A black hole is called a black hole because we can't see it because light cannot escape. So ya, i guess it is a photon storage depot. what it does with them i don't know.

20. Vkothii Banned Banned

I do.
    Anything with zero mass is effectively accelerated to infinity, beyond the horizon.
    IOW, the 'hole' makes light "go" to the visible horizon of the universe, it 'disappears' beyond any light cone we will ever see.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  21. Vern Registered Senior Member

When you are explaining why the existence of mass does not rule out a photon-only universe. Mass can be a state of photons. So its existence is not fatal to photon-only concepts.

22. Vkothii Banned Banned

Mass always has an equivalent which is what it will become, that's expressed as photons, or energy.

That doesn't imply you can run it backwards, if mass does become energy.
    It's called entropy, it just does not go backwards.

23. Vern Registered Senior Member

Sure it does; what do you think all that stuff is that appears downstream of collisions in particle accelerators. Mass is created out of energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.