Science stories of the week

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by wegs, Jan 31, 2021.

1. wegs Matter & Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’ve read that some think love is a placebo. (Now, we have the thread back on track) ^_^

Seattle likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

and now
    a brief musical interlude

Love is":
    Hard to get
    Impossible to hold
    Straight as an arrow
    Like a burnin' fuse
    In the long cold dawn
    By the side of the road
    A hopeless case
    A perfect thing

Love is ... what you want it to be
    Love is ... heaven to the lonely
    Show me what you want me to do
    Cause love is what I've got for you

Close my eyes
    Search the stars
    Cry for help
    Wake up cold
    You're in my system
    Under my skin
    Raw emotion
    Please don't go

Love is .... What you want it to be
    Love is .... Heaven to the lonely
    Cause love is what I've got for you

Can't live on promises
    Won't sleep with lies
    Don't understand the things you say
    Til I read 'em in your eyes
    Gotta run on instinct, gotta go by feel
    Gotta trust my senses
    To know if it's for real

Love is ... what you want it to be
    Love is ... heaven to the lonely
    Cause love is what i've got for you
    Love is...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Haha (we both know that I'm your favorite anyway but we won't say anything). Earlier you asked if I was still painting and I said not lately. Today I went out and the wind had blown the lattice work out of a short "wall" or "fence" that comes off of my garage onto the patio. It's just a little privacy wall.

The lattice work was old anyway and the wind made most of it fall over so I just tore it out. So now I have the rectangular framework for the short privacy wall but it does nothing now as you just look right through it.

I could just tear it down altogether as I don't really need it but one post goes into the cement patio and it would probably leave a hole. I could just replace the lattice work. If I have any larger piece of plywood in the garage I'm thinking about priming that and then painting a picture of lattice work with a large potted flower in front and then nail that over the opening. Trompe l'oeil I suppose.

wegs likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter & Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

8. wegs Matter & Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes. Premature slackening of control measures is just the thing to give this thing legs, once more.

Here in the UK we have just let the schools go back this week. We are going to wait and see what effect that has on R before loosening any more controls and then go in stages, measuring the effects of each relaxation before moving on to the next. It looks to me as if at long last Bozo has realised he can't win this war by feel-good speeches and pandering to the political Right. We have about 25m vaccinated now (single dose). That's the 40% most vulnerable of the population. But that is nowhere near enough to get R below 1, especially with these new variants about. And the progress of vaccination through the population will soon slow, when it becomes time to give the 2nd dose to all those that have had their first.

The good news is summer is on its way, when the transmission rate drops anyway, due to people being outside, leaving windows open etc. We need to keep up the vaccination rate and have a supplementary vaccine, targeted against the new variants, ready to roll in Autumn.