Scientific studies: Religious people are less intelligent than atheists

Discussion in 'Religion' started by PetriFB, Nov 15, 2013.

1. PetriFB Registered Senior Member

In America Rochester's university has been made scientific studies and analysis led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, which claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Review published a summary for this scientific study. When I researched this study, so on my mind arose many thoughts that prove this scientific study as the provocation of atheism in which they show their contempt to the certain group of the people. On my writing, I also bring out some thoughts about the article of Knoxnews.

The whole article is behind the link: http://www.kotipetripaavola.com/religiouspeopleandatheists.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

We had a thread on the referenced study recently.

I take it your angle is to bash atheists. You've opened with a dud though. Here's the text of the actual abstract by Zuckerman et al:

A meta-analysis of 63 studies showed a significant negative association between intelligence and religiosity. The association was stronger for college students and the general population than for participants younger than college age; it was also stronger for religious beliefs than religious behavior. For college students and the general population, means of weighted and unweighted correlations between intelligence and the strength of religious beliefs ranged from −.20 to −.25 (mean r = −.24). Three possible interpretations were discussed. First, intelligent people are less likely to conform and, thus, are more likely to resist religious dogma. Second, intelligent people tend to adopt an analytic (as opposed to intuitive) thinking style, which has been shown to undermine religious beliefs. Third, several functions of religiosity, including compensatory control, self-regulation, self-enhancement, and secure attachment, are also conferred by intelligence. Intelligent people may therefore have less need for religious beliefs and practices.

There is nothing prima facie in this which might suggest that the data and/or investigators are biased, if that's your intent.

As for contempt against a certain group of people, that's another subject which pertains more to the rise of strident evangelical Christian conservatives, and their relentless attacks on progress and civilization, particularly in America, and especially since the Reagan era. Yes, there is much contempt for these folks. They have done a lot of damage and can be expected to do a lot more. But the data in the referenced research speaks for itself. No factual predicate has been laid for connecting this research to the reactions (e.g. by academics) against them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

as i have basically said before, if a person isn't more intelligent than the average atheist and also the average religious person, they shouldn't be talking about intelligence with any sense of self-appreciation on the matter. Anybody who is basing their discussion on what is average has already set the reference point too low. Also, people that base their self-worth on the achievements of others are attaching value in an illogical, and sad, manner.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PetriFB Registered Senior Member

American Knoxnews media has published an article reporting that the godless people commit less crime, have longer marriages and are more highly educated than almost any other group in America.

Knoxnews media reported that according to Federal Bureau of Prisons' data, the number of responding persons in prison acknowledging they were Catholic was 39 percent; Protestant, 35 percent; Muslim, 7 percent; Jewish, 2 percent; and godless, 0.2 percent (20 percent did not respond).

Knoxnews media reported that since the number of godless is estimated to be 10 percent of the general population, all things being equal, you would expect their prison population to be 10 percent. Knoxnews media continues reporting that fundamentalist Christians have the highest divorce rate, followed by Jews and Baptists.

Konxnews media reports that a review of worldwide studies found that criminality and religion go hand in hand, because countries with the most religious people have the highest crime rates, highest sexually transmitted diseases and the highest teen pregnancy rates.

The article of Knoxnews media is misleading and distorted the things very badly. I bring out by few matters that how the article was erroneous and misleading. I'm a Finnish and live in Finland. Here in Finland the majority of the populations are Lutherans. Majority of Finnish Lutherans doesn't believe on God of the Bible. According to Finnish prison and criminal data, the majority of prisoners are Lutherans. Majority from the Finnish Lutherans don't believe on God or the Bible. It means that large majority Lutherans that are recorded in prison, and criminal data are godless people. In the light of this fact and study here in Finland godless people are doing superior numbers' crimes in Finland.

According to Finnish Lutheran Church's research center about 14-24 years Finnish people only 15 percent believed God of Christianity (number is from year 2011). In the year, 2011 from all Finnish young people and adults 27 percent said that they believed in God of Christianity. According to revised demographics, 77,2 people in Finland belonged to Lutheran Church (31.12.2011).

Based on preceding numbers the biggest part from the members of Finnish Lutheran Church doesn't believe God of the Bible. This means that they are godless people and members of religious institution. Almost 80 percent from Finnish citizens belongs to Lutheran Church, and about 60 percent of them don't believe God of the Bible. Lutheran Church's members about 10 percent is religious people who believe in God, but they don't live according to the teaching of God ( they are not the disciples of the Lord Jesus). From the Finnish Lutheran Church's members, about 10 percent are on living faith to the Lord Jesus.

Because almost 80 percent from Finnish citizens are members of the Lutheran Church, and about 10 percent of them have the living faith on the Lord Jesus, so it means that the biggest part of Finnish people who are recorded in prison, and criminal data are members of Lutheran Church. They are godless people and members of religious institution. This means that they are negative towards God and believing on the Lord Jesus. Actually, they are godless people who are in prison and criminal statistics as members of religious institution. After all the truth is that godless people make the most crimes in Finland.

It is into question the same matter in America, in which the majority of Roman Catholic Church and Protestant churches' members don't believe in the Bible, but are living in sins against the will of God. In this light, the majority of America's criminal data church members are godless people. According to this fact, the article of Knoxnews distorted the truth and the real fact is that also in America godless people commit the most crimes.

In America is plenty of unhealthy and non-biblical Christian sects and cults, in which happens a lot of sexual sins, for example, Catholicism and certain groups, which live against the teaching of the Bible, although they claim that believe in the Bible. For example, about non-biblical sect and cult in America is Branch Davidians religious sect in which the leader David Koreshi abused sexually women of the sect. According to the teaching of the Bible Branch Davidians sect lived in sexual sins and other sins, and this sect has nothing to do with health and genuine Biblical faith.

Atheists always bring out sexual sins and crimes of non-biblical organizations and groups, in which people don't believe in God. These atheists on purpose or without knowledge from the right and wrong faith want to defame and slander people who believe in a right way Biblically on God and the Lord Jesus. In this way, they falsely distort the things as the article of Knoxnews did. According to the testimony of the Bible religiousness is godless. Atheists and religious people are in the same train traveling on their lives in the condition of godless people, because they don't believe the only Almight God, God of the Bible. Religious belief and Biblical faith on the Lord Jesus are totally two different things.

People who are in the right and Biblical faith on the Lord Jesus make least crimes, because the right and Biblical faith is a such in which he tries to live according to the will of God and avoiding sins. The article of Knoxnews was an indication either purposely provocation or ignorance, in which writer of article and researchers don't know the difference between religiousness and the real Biblical faith, because they are totally two different things. According to the teaching of the Bible, religious people are godless who are living in the lies without connection with the God of the Bible, who is the Almighty God. In addition, in this light, it is very clear that religious person in the condition of godless as the slave of sins is making many kinds of crimes and sins. I bring out also that Roman Catholic Church is not the Church of God, but false imitation from the Church of God. Link: Roots of Roman Catholic Church

On purpose of atheistic researches is arising negative feeling, especially against people who believe to the Bible as the word of God. This kind of false information will be as fuel to worldwide persecution against the real disciples of the Lord Jesus which will happen in the last days of the mankind.

8. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

You are a complete idiot of Biblical proportions.

9. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I do not count repeaters as intelligent, i count them as morons.

People whom are not repeaters are people whom have found out stuff themselves and not second hand and that can actually think.

I would say most of that study whom said they were atheists were repeaters, and there opinions mean nout as they do not know how to think for themselves.

So my view of intelligence is not the same as the person whom made this study. I classify people intelligent if they have found out something in life on there own, beyond reading in some book, or getting from some teacher. The repeaters are just useful idiots to the system i find, thats all you people are.

I firmly believe in a god, and i tell you why. Ants have no idea we exist, but we know they do.
    Christmas day would still exist without us, and is the only special day of the year, but science ignores this and will never explain it.
    ^^
    So useful idiots, i.e repeaters that society calls intelligent good for, but what you think as no bearing on me, as i only listen to people whom found out something in life and can think for themselves, and thats only a minority. You useful idiots that went to uni, most of which are just repeaters as you cannot think for yourself have no real thoughts that are useful to society other than being useful idiots for the system.

So remember that such intelligent people whom are just repeaters, you will never ever explain why christmas day exists. Oh such intelligence of the repeaters whom think they are so great to be in a club of repeaters, and there ego is so great, but you can be sure virtually everyone of them will never find out anything beyond what they read, or hear from others.
    ^^
    Such intelligence. I bow down to how great you people are, not.