Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jan Ardena, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

The reality in fables is in how they relate to real life. We've all seen sour grapes, etc. in real life. The problem is that we're better at seeing the flaws in others than in ourselves.

Of course, the talking animals help us to differentiate what is real and what is not.
    I don't know if we need a teacher at all. We can observe the situations in real life. It's almost like doing science.

Too bad all myths aren't as useful.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree and add that the book always should be written by the author and all aspects of the story related to his intellect and imagination.
    How many great authors of great moral stories have their been in history? They were the observers, identifiers and scribes of emotionally instructive literature.
    (check my signature line)

I maintain that gods can only dwell in the mind of the individual, an act of imagination...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but the ability for abstract thought was already present in the earliest hominid who rebelled against the sky gods.
    The Kraken is real, that Zeus gave Hades permission to unleash the beast is fable...myth

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Goldtop Registered Senior Member

God would be acceptable evidence.

I have no idea, I've never seen a God or know anyone who has, have you seen God? If so, perhaps you can tell me what God is?

That there are people out there who wish to know what you know.

I have a difficult time accepting that considering no God has ever been shown to exist. Have can you say God just Is? How do you come about this conclusion?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

God is everything. OK, discussion over. We are now calling everything God. Cool.

I going to go and have some God for lunch, maybe with a little mustard for extra flavor. God is good...yum.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

God Is both the object of belief and disbelief. What evidence would you accept to make belief in God possible for you? That is the question.
    So you're logic is "I can't see God, therefore there is no God"
    Do you reject and deny everything you can't see, but is know to exist? Or is God the exception?
    Why do you think God has to be seen to be real?
    What does my knowledge have to do with accepting God?
    What does that even mean?
    If you have no idea of what God is, why do you think God has to be shown to understand that God Is?
    In fact, what are you arguing against?

Jan.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

A mentally created object (Tulpa) with no real physical presence.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

To you maybe, but according to the dictionary it's... (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

But you said God is to you what pixies are to me. I gave you an example, but now you've changed your tune.
    Slippery, aren't you.
    Not for you, because you reject and deny God, meaning there will never be any evidence as far as you're concerned. So you're just playing the evidence card, because you decide for yourself whether or not something is evidential, or not.
    You're not consistent with you evasion.
    Shows your call for evidence is nothing but lip service.
    Your cry for evidence is simply for show, and not to be taken seriously. You know God Is, just like the bible says...

For his invisible attributes (God) , namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

....but you reject and deny Him, to the point where you believe your own foolishness.
    The claim would be central, if you were serious about evidence. But we know that is not so. It is irrelevant to you because you want to maintain your delusion.
    Yet another nonsensical statement.

Jan.

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Jan, what are your interests other than religion?

12. Goldtop Registered Senior Member

God would be perfectly acceptable evidence of God's existence. This is standard for anything that has been claimed to exist, the object in question.

No, that would be you putting words in my mouth. Try this instead, "I can't see God, therefore why should I believe in God?"

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I don't reject or deny that which has never been shown to exist. So, if it is claimed to exist, then I would expect someone to show me God.

For the very same reason everything else in your life and mine must be seen to know it's real. You don't accept everything someone tells you exists, do you?

You must have knowledge of God, lest why would you believe in God?

What other method do you propose? How do you know God exists? How did you come to that conclusion?

I'm not arguing, I'm inquiring to know what you know about God so I too can believe in God.

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Performing and recording music.
    My main instrument is the drumkit.

Jan.

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Cool! I have several guitars but don't do any performing. What kind of music, church or otherwise?

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Key point "beyond the laws of nature". How can we have laws outside and beyond nature as laws of nature?

16. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Old-school gospel. Sister Rosetta Tharpe, singing on a railway platform in the rain. Delta blues, with one light bulb in the bar, an old black man sitting on his Pig-nose, making enough to buy his dinner and his drink for the night. That kind of music sorta changed didn't it?

As far as the OP, scientists get funding for the most ridiculous things, so why is this thread 97 pages long?

Oh, wait! I know! So people can yadder and blurt and spew about inconsequential bullshit!

Do I get a prize for getting it in one go?

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I have a bass standing in a corner. It is home to Charlotte and her brood.

18. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Is that one with fins or strings? Is Charlotte one of Ungoliant's brood, thrice removed?

In other words, can Les Claypool thump a fish?

Write4U likes this.
  19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Did you graduate from the University Of Obtuse?
    You thinking I am well educated is not the worst that could happen yet you cannot assume someone has been exposed to all those arguments & assume you are offering evidence. I cannot even know whether what you refer to as classical arguments are the same as what I know as classical arguments.
    Name at least 1 & explain your interpretation of it. Otherwise you are only farting in the wind.
    It is natural to be ruled by fear & other emotions which rarely results in the best outcome. Many things are natural, of which some are mostly constructive & some are mostly destructive. You are not a theist simply because it is natural. Something(s) convinced you to believe.
    It is not a matter of becoming atheist. It is either never having been a theist or ceasing to be a theist. Atheist is only a short simple way to say "I am not a theist". Try to stop thinking of it as whether you might become an atheist & think of it as whether you might cease being a theist.
    You claiming to be a theist means you claim to believe in some god. I do not think it would hurt much for you to say why you believe in some god & which god it is & what that god is like. At this point, for all I know, you are a Deist which is nearly the same as atheist.
    Stating a belief is 1 thing yet you do more. You state that god is & you try&try&try to pretend to know things about what atheists know and believe & do. The 1st you still give no reason for & the 2nd is obviously assinine stupidity and/or arrogant insanity.
    You do NOT know that atheists know/believe or reject or deny what you claim they do. Get it thru your thick frigging skull once & for all. You do not know those things. Even if you think your god tells you such, you do not know.

I do not know for certain there is no god or gods & have not claimed to know that. Another thing you should get thru your thick frigging skull & stop lying about.
    IF there is a god, it is not omnipotent or it does not want me to know it exists or it does not care whether I know.
    IF there is an omnipotent god, I think it would either tell you to shut up or it would much improve your critical thinking & your communication.
    IF there is an omnipotent god who created everything, obviously it intends for me to not be theist.
    No god has ever communicated with me. No god has ever told me to do or not to do anything.
    No god has lived my life in my boots & no god has any right to judge me harshly.
    I have never thought, felt, experienced, seen, heard or read anything that gave me any significant evidence there exists any god or gods.
    Most of what I have heard & read of gods is stupid & childish and/or cruel & insane.
    I cannot reject what I do not know exists. I cannot believe what I have not been convinced of. It is not a choice or a decision.

Again, it is not that atheists are asking for evidence of what they do not know exists. It is that theists claim there is a god & cannot handle the fact that some people do not believe them.
    Atheists are not obligated to say what might be good evidence. Tho I have given you the best possible answer & you just try to dismiss it.
    Show me a god. Any god. Even something which actually seems to be a god would be a good start.
    Why would your god hide away? What is it afraid of? Why would it leave you hanging in the wind?

You say there is a god. I cannot believe you.

To continue on&on&on trying to say I know or believe there is a god & I just reject it is just childishly illogical. You truly should try to stop that.

<>

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  20. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Its also not a "true absence" either, since you reject them all as evidence of God.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's not true. They haven't been.
    And the fact that overt Abrahamic theists can provide no better than that and similar claims, in litanies of assertion - while demanding that others provide definitions, examples, etc - is fair evidence that there is no God of the kind they believe in.
    Anything anyone can imagine, and communicate to another person, is therefore not truly absent for that other person, and therefore exists for that other person.
    Ok. But they are called "figments of imagination", usually, not Gods.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Utterly stupid foolish con artist bullshit lies. You have been conned & you try to con others.
    I do not believe such is clearly perceived by you & I damn well know it is not perceived by me.
    You cannot con me. You cannot fool me with your childish nonsense.
    Stop pretending to know what you cannot possibly know & stop lying about it.
    Any con artist can claim what they say is true & that anyone would be a fool to not believe. Yet only fools believe the con artists.

I do not need any frigging excuse for not believing what I DO NOT KNOW exists.

IF there is an omnipotent god, it should try to come up with some good excuses for itself.

How the heck do you think quoting scripture should mean anything to anyone other than theists who have faith in it???

<>

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Jan uses an argument from AUTHORITY!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.