sciforum seti crunchers

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

try Folding@home

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

see biology forum top sticky

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hey is there something wrong with SETI at the moment?

my computer keeps saying cant conect and i have net access and havent changed anything

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

as I remember the server sometimes goes down.
    start worrying if it doesn't connect in 2 days

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

but i have done six units and i was about to get a 7th checked off

i mean we are talking in the past week over 66hrs worth

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I know serti. I had it for over 10 months. Your wunit isn't lost. Wait for the server to get back online

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i can do 4 units in 24 hours, i just started agian after about 2 years of not doing it, i am running it off my fast comp aswell, so it taking 2200 beatings instead of 1800

10. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Reading this thread, I only just noticed that my seti had not been running, don't know how long for??? Anyway, it seems to be running again now.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i feel little

my thing has been running for 246hrs and i only have 26 units

not hundreds like everyone else

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i ahve only 4, you are not alone

13. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

It all depends on the size of the data chunks you get allocated and how long your pc is on for. Some people have their pc's permanently on; others when at home, some only to check emails - it all depends. If your a little on the "short" side, don't worry, your still doing your bit.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

15. Zeaper Mutant Alien Registered Senior Member

I’ve never done the SETI at home thing, often thought I should though. Anyway, this looks like big news, anyone know anything about it?

See:
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/09/02/space.signals.reut/index.html

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilization, New Scientist magazine reported on Thursday.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.

There are other explanations besides extraterrestrial contact that may explain the signal. New Scientist said the signal could be generated by a previously unknown astronomical phenomenon or even be a by-product from the telescope itself.

But the mystery beam has excited astronomers across the world.
    "If they can see it four, five or six times it really begins to get exciting," Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath in western England told the magazine.

It was broadcast on the main frequency at which the universe's most common element, hydrogen, absorbs and emits energy, and which astronomers say is the most likely means by which aliens would advertise their presence.

The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI+home project, which uses programs running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

I sometime been wondering about SETI and how they would be able to recieve signals after they have traveld true vaste streches of space, with what ever noise there now is in space.

I mean here on our little rock we have our own problems sending and receiving basic radio signals, which sometimes disrupted by even little things. So how in hell does scientist expect to receive a signal that even makes just a little sence from several light years away?

To me it sound like 2 people tring to talk to eachother from each side of a packed concert hall.

18. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I had to remove my SETI, after over 500 data crunches, for some reason it was using nearly all my processor (Athlone 1100+).............

19. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's probably the right time in earth's history that now we may finally have picked up a true radio signal from an ET source from deep space. If this current radio signal proves infact to be a true ET signal, then of course a reply is in order..........

Yob Atta

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately our ICBM's don't have that range

21. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

If Bush finds out about it, he'll want to go there and bomb them too.........

Yob Atta

22. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

"We come in peace, shoot to kill"

The only way an alien visit to this planet is going to work is a massive tourist invasion!! Individually, they would not have time to take a snapshot for home!