Sex for pleasure

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by G. F. Schleebenhorst, Jul 1, 2006.

1. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Has anyone ever spent any time thinking about this? Ever since the invention of birth control, people have been spending their paychecks and hours upon hours every week trying to "score". However, what is actually achieved by this other than scratching a biological itch?

There is one ultimate purpose for sex: making babies. I'm sure you all know that.

After thinking about this for a while, I wondered, what exactly is the difference between sex purely for pleasure and bulimia?

You get horny. You look for sex, you get sex. No babies are made.
    A bulimic gets hungry. They eat food. They vomit food.

Is there really any point to sex for pleasure other than....it feels good? And if that is the case, how much time do we pointlessly waste looking for it and doing it? How many hours do men waste chasing their genitalia around the world achieving absolutely nothing?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

People go to the movies and have fun. Is that "bulimia" as well?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My advice: grow up and get a girlfriend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Wow, I didn't expect that reply. Way to miss the point. This is meant to be a discussion.

I bet you buy lots of shiny silver things with lots of buttons, right?

Next.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Bulimia is eating to excess and is beyond the bulimic's control. The same isn't necessarily true of people who have sex for pleasure although, as with any biological drive, some make a vice of it. Moderation is the key.

8. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

What else would you have them do with their time? Focus on their careers? Go to the movies? Hang out with their friends? What's wrong with people deciding for themselves how their time is best spent?

9. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their time.

10. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

There are many human activities that exist mainly or solely for pleasure. Why does recreational sex bother you?

11. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Where did I say it bothered me? You've got one more assumption before I stop replying to you.

This is just a discussion. No one is going to take your penis away.

12. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Well then I guess the answer to your question is fairly straightforward. Sex serves whatever purpose you want it to serve. If you do it solely for pleasure, then by definition there's no other point to it. Some people might do it for additional reasons though, eg. bragging rights.
    Among other things, sex doesn't make you throw up afterward.

13. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Uhhh last I checked neither does bulimia. It's a voluntary act, the same as slipping on a condom or taking a birth control pill.

I think you missed the parallel there.

14. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

That's not what you said here:
    You're comparing bulimia and sex bacause of the "hunger" that drives people to it. First of all, bulimia is an eating disorder that's usually linked with stress or depression - not hunger. Even ignoring that, pointing out some similarities between bulimia and recreational sex doesn't imply that they share even more properties - like a health hazard. I see your parallel, but I don't see why you brought it up.

15. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I missed out the two fingers down the throat? Is that it? Well, I missed out the part before "you get sex" about finding a woman or even taking your clothes off, does that mean we are now humping a stray dog in futility through our trouser crotch? Do I also have to type "breath in, breath out"?

Is that assumption number three?

16. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Now you're not making any sense.

17. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Well, as far as I can tell, you assumed that because I didn't explicitly type "They put two fingers down their throat" I was under the false impression that the "vomiting" part of bulimia was involuntary.

18. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Ah. Ok. Still, bulimia can be very harmful for a sufferer's health, and is usually an indication of psychological issues. This is why it is considered a problem - not because of the food wasted.

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

"Feeling good" is nothing to be disparaged. Why must there be any point besides "feeling good"? Feeling good is an indication of the proper functioning of an organism.

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Maybe so, but "putting their fingers down their throat" is also part of the sickness of bulimia and as such is hardly a "voluntary" act

21. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

I hate to break it to you but ever since humans have had genitals to rub together we've been sex crazed, it's not some new fad. Birth control just makes it less risky. Not to mention Condoms have been with us in one form or another since the classical era.

Also sex for reasons other than procreation can be a beautiful thing, an intimate expression of love, and such, unless you're a frigid prude, I guess.

As far as the biological reasons for why we feel the urge to screw everything that moves and has the right holes, it's a survival adaptation. If we are driven to have sex frequently then we'll also compete to have sex, strong men get to do it frequently and women with the strongest males, and because there's just more sex all around than if it were some drudgery we undertook purely and solely to create a child, birth rates are much higher, and tribal populations balloon. I know that that doesn't exactly fit with our 1950s Leave it to Beaver family values type ideals, but hey that's primeval man, gotta make babies faster than the saber toothed cats can eat ‘em!

Such impulses don't serve us very well in modern civilized society, and certainly not if we choose to adopt prudish Victorian attitudes towards our own bodies. We are free, though, to choose to either kill our desires surgically or chemically (maybe freeze some sex-cells for an immaculate insemination later in life) or simply deal with it and join the rest of society and try to enjoy our physical impulses rather than fight against them constantly. That's not to say that it's a good thing to literally screw every member of the opposite (or same) sex as yourself, everything in moderation, of course and neither extreme is necessarily healthy.

Another random point: Homosexuality was ancient man's birth-control! ha! Well that and the rhythm method. . . but I guess the Greeks and Romans didn't like keeping to schedules like that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  22. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

In your initial post. Give people credit and don't play silly semantic games, just because you didn't come right out and say "I don't like that people have sex for fun" doesn't mean that you didn't express that idea. Your language made it very clear that this is not a social trend which you think very much of.

If you need me to be a little clearer, you compared sexual promiscuity to an eating disorder, and claimed to have knowledge of the single true purpose of sex- taking these comments into context with your full post it's pretty obvious what your opinion is. If this isn't the message you intended to put across then you should apologize for being unclear and offer to more clearly explain either what you meant or what your feelings on the matter really are.

For extra points try to critically analyze this post and figure out how I feel about being a condescending prick when I feel others have been a bit rude and dishonest in their own threads.

Answer written below in white - highlight to read.
    It gives me a big smirking grin!

23. perplexity Banned Banned

The premise is extraordinary to me.

It seems to suppose that there is no significance to sexual frustration apart from the event of an actual sexual encounter, which would be to say that the general physical and mental health of a sexually mature adult is unaffected, that there is no discernible difference between the conduct of a person sexual satisfied as compared to one deprived.

If only because of my own experience I doubt this to the extent that I have to doubt the sincerity of the argument to begin with.

--- Ron.