Share your ideas to increase quality of life!

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by historicfuture, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cat2only Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

let the important ones know how you feel, even if they already know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

I read an interesting comment the other day. Said that too much happiness is a curse. It removes the incentive to achieve great things. If you are truly happy, you will lie back and enjoy it. (No, not sex you fool).

All the great movers and shakers of humankind have been unhappy people, trying to make things better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Id rather be permanently happy and achieve fuk all.

8. Stray_Cat Registered Member

Interesting concept, makes sense.
    On the other hand, wouldn't it also make sense that people who achieve true happiness are then free to move on and "achieve great things" while less happy people are 'stuck' in the quest for happiness? Or perhaps is it the deep unhappiness that initiates the desire for change- It probably differs from person to person, in the way that some athletes are motivated by fear of failure and some athletes work best with positive reinforcement.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

10. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

it is this dilemma that plagues me daily. To be happy in this short window of time, or to sacrifice time doing the things I enjoy to do "great" things. At the moment I am drinking margaritas, eating shrimp tacos, and smoking some old weed I found in a coat, so we can conclude that, at least for now, I am taking the 'fuk all' route.

but on a more mature, less self-involved level, the 'right' thing to do is devote your time to social causes that benefit the future of humanity.

But maybe, just maybe, we can find a balance....