Should I stay or should I go

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I am not sure if this belongs in this forum but anyway...

For the past few days now there has been a growing stand-off between the Thais and Khmers over Preah Vihear Temple which runs along both nations borders. The few hundred Thai and Khmer troops which were on the border has now suddenly increased to a few thousand and are heavily muscled.

Now here's the thing, I am living in Phnom Penh, the Khmer capital, many journalists have begun to flood into the country and now many expats are leaving (especially Thais), some ordered by their respective companies, others out of silent fear. Its funny because there are still tourists running around town looking sun burned and clueless. Its almost as if they don't know any of this is happening.

Now here's the thing, I don't believe anything will go wrong, meaning I believe both sides are grandstanding. Why? Because I think this temple issue is a pretext by the Thais to oust their prime minister whom they suspect as a Thaksin proxy and the Khmers are having their national election this Sunday. At first many feared what would happen during the elections since Cambodia's Hun Sen is beginning to solidify his dictatorship (absorbing any opposition) and because the last election they had in 97' turned into a 3 day war/coup. Since then the country has been rapidly developing, a lot of foreign investments are coming in and I really doubt that the Khmers want to risk that over a damn temple. Yet, there was the incident of the dumb Thai actress who claimed Angkor Wat as a being Thai not Khmer and the Khmers reacted by burning Thai owned hotels and business not to mention completely destroying the Thai embassy. So yea they do take this heritage business seriously and have proven that they can be quite volatile. Khmers I know are hushed, I mean they are going about their business and no one is saying a thing, there is tension yes but no one is saying anything.

What I was planning to do was stay, since I thought everything would smooth over, now I am not so sure, I mean I didn't expect an overnight troop build up and I didn't expect so many expats to completely lose faith in the ability of both sides to calm tensions. The Khmers are appealing to the UN to help mediate (waste of time if you ask me) and ASEAN has offered to mediate (better idea). As all this is going on I am at loose ends wondering what I should be doing, head to Bangkok for a few days to see how things pan out or go back to NY, which I dread. I am leaning towards staying but my mother might think otherwise. I don't know, its so eerie to know people who have lived here for years are heading for the airport and at the same time watch tourists shopping in Toul Tompong market as if nothing is wrong, journalists on the other hand are sitting around hoping things will go wrong. Should I leave even if my basic instincts tells me to stay and get on with daily life? There are financial reasons for staying like, I wasn't expecting to have to fork out a lot of money on immediate travel, I am not even sure in which direction I should head...I thought of leaving for Vietnam but it takes three days to get a visa. Thailand is open but...Well they are part of the problem aren't they? And the States, for fuck sakes its so damn far and expensive. I could always go to Lao I guess, Lao is an option. I know journalists in Bangkok but they are probably all here:shrug:

Anyway I don't have long to think about this, those who are leaving are doing so tomorrow or Saturday the latest since the elections are on Sunday. I could also simply stay in my apartment and take my cues from Khmers, or hang out at the major hotel where many of the journalists would be.

Why can't we all just get along?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Where are your emotional investments?
    I say, to hell with your instincts. Listen to your heart and thank yourself later (even if it's much later).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Yikes! That's a good question. I have learned to love this country but I also love my mother. I am not invested in the States anymore, not emotionally but my mother is there and if things went wrong, even if I were okay she would be a mess. She's not young anymore, she doesn't need the grief.

Damn! That was a good question.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Materialism would suggest protect your assests,
    Common sense would suggest protect your asse.

I can say I have never been in a predicament like that, I know a couple of my family members did get stuck in Argentina during their attempted Coup de tĂȘte a couple of years back. Obviously for them being outsiders to the conflict it was a concern, movement once the conflict had occurred became difficult with people being fired upon and strict curfews were enforced in certain areas. Obviously some places became closed like Airports (not so much to the trouble but because as soon as one group kicks off people either flee or join in)

I'd suggest if you assets there be prepared to say goodbye to them, in case looting became widespread. Obviously you realise the implications to family so perhaps you might want to take a little road trip for a couple of weeks (at least I hope for your sake it's only that long in total) and perhaps visit the family

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No I don't have any material assests here that I cannot simply put in a small bag. Yea, I was wondering about the airport, whether it would be functional if something went wrong with the Thais. In 97' people fled to the airports but that was an internal problem, an internal coup and they didn't mind if planes left with expats but the Thais have F-16's they moved yesterday to Ubon Ratchathani which means, if they are serious, they could strike at the center of Phnom Penh by air and of course the airport would be a target. Also I know that if I wait too long and something did go wrong then there would be no crossing the border into Thailand, too hot. North is too far and god only knows how those bueracratic Vietnamese would behave in a tense situation where people are trying to cross without a visa...even if the visa wasn't Khmer. I'm going to take wisdom of the last two posts with me and think about what to do. Its late here, almost 1am. I will check back after some sleep.

I am quite surprised...in a good way. I thought before posting, I really need to share this but in sciforums there is so much childish rubbish at times, that I wondered if anyone could really understand, take it seriously and respond intelligently, helping me move through this back & forth back & forth indecision. But suprisingly these two intelligent posts really made a difference. It has helped clear the cob webs a little, consider the situation and ease the tension.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Just been told the US embassy is telling people to stay away from Preah Vihear and give further updates.