Should memory (RAM) be balanced?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I just read somewhere that if we add another memory stick to the computer it should be the same size as the old one. I am not sure this is true, so what the experts say?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

any address in RAM is as equally accessible as any other, so no, the sticks do not need to be balanced.

i have 512 MB in one slot, 256 MB in the other.
    everest reports the sum of the two.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Lolz. I got 2 sticks of 2GB DDR2. Pwned.

Got it for $78 at TigerDirect

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

get it certified with CPU-z then post the ID.

what does this have to do with the thread topic?

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

bad advice nowdays. Most ram works in matched pairs, esp on home computers to take advantage of dual channeling the modules, which is standard and has been for a couple years at least.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

what is your motherboard?

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2 GHz, but I was just curious. I don't think it effects that much my computer....

11. pencil Banned Banned

If you want dual-channel features enabled (if your motherboard supports it), then you will need 2x of the SAME sized RAM. So if one stick is 512MB, the other stick has to be 512MB to enable dual channel for a total of 1gig.

Dual channel is basically enabling 2 extra lanes so more data can travel from the RAM through the FSB. Imagine a highway, instead of 2 lanes, you get 4 lanes to relieve traffic etc.

Also, it's better to use the same brand of RAM. Many manufacturers have different specifications like RAM timings so if you have 2 different manufacturers with two different ICS and timings, your performance will not be as optimized.

You should also get the same sized RAM (like 2x 512 instead of 1x 512 and 1x 256). This is a personal preference. Basically, in my opinion, it prevents paging more often and gives you a more optimized environment which MAYBE significant in synthetic benchmarks but not in real life usage scenarios.

12. river-wind Valued Senior Member

nietzschefan and pencil are 100% right. If the motherboard doesn't have dual-channel support, then the RAM doesn't need to be matched. If the MB does do dual-channel, then matched pairs will increase your RAM throughput. Matched = same size, same speed, same latency. Getting a pair of the same product is the best way to be sure.

A Sempron 3000+ is new enough that you might see a benefit from matched RAM. Check the MB.

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Rambus is the only ram that I know of that has to be in matched paired...but unless your running an old server, you shouldn't have to worry with it. The guys are right about dual-channel DDR...go with matched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.