Signs of Self-Awareness!

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Ender Registered Senior Member

I can;t believe this thread is stil here, i haven't been on in aa while, but geeze its been active!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

You are the reason it did not drop off....he...he...he....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Protozoa Registered Senior Member

My real self is crud

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

a : a deposit or incrustation of filth, grease, or refuse b : something disagreeable or disgusting

If that is what you mean, then I can tell you that you haven't found your true self yet. That sounds patronizing, but I think it is the best way of looking at it.

I would also suggest you read the following thread, which has some great ideas about what a person is all about:

http://www.sciforums.com/t5790/s/thread.html

8. Protozoa Registered Senior Member

I might not be crud... but Im closer to a protozoic lifeform than a divine lifeform... I just communicate that as being crud

9. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

If you feel like it, post some more details about your life(form).

10. Ender Registered Senior Member

Truth,

You have been refering to UNconditional love, not conditions. None, not knowing the person, not caring about what they did, not caring if they are an escaped convict, who has killed many people, right?

Unless they let the convict "love"/ kill thier mother. Sounds like peace.

It also seems like this love is just not judging anyone no matter what they do. Haven't judgement and reasoning been a major part in eveloution, the reason we are smart today instead of being a monkey.

would you say love is an orderly emotion, one that follows logic, one that is smart and protective.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Ender,

First, I'm not the Truth...

Well... unconditional Love doesn't judge. Judgement are based on beliefs, are based on lies. The mind is always trying to classify, order and judge everything so that it can feel safe. That creates much stress. There's nothing evolved in rationalism. Rationalism kills itself, as it limits the universe into a short range perspective.

Love,
    Nelson

12. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Lets say that respect is a form of love. Just for the sake of my argument

When a criminal is convicted, and thus judged, this is not done out of hate, but because you respect him as a human being. He deserves to be punished. Because we define love too often in the romantic way, it gives some strange results

13. Ender Registered Senior Member

So A4Ever, are you trying to say that love is an emotion that everyting gets lumped into, like respect, and reason, and logic?

I think that there is a difference between love and learning to deal with someone.

Love also is a romantic type thing, love isn't just a dump-all emotion.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

There's no reason and logic in Love...

15. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I don't think I could define 'love'.

What I am trying to say is that the concept of love should not be limited to what it usualy means: romantic love.

When a criminal is convicted, it is a sort of love towards the criminal. It shows respect. It is like a father punishing his children. That is usualy also done out of love, to make the child behave better.

But I must say that it is sometimes difficult to put everything under the two emotions: 'love' and 'fear'. That is because this belief in two emotions, universal energy and so on, is a belief, a form of religion.

I don't feel qualified enough to put everyhing in these two categories. For example: the pilots of the wtc crashes would have to be judged as fearful of losing love.

That thought makes me shiver. Maybe I should use love only for romantic love. Even if that is just to keep me far from tiresome mindgames that lead nowhere.

16. Ender Registered Senior Member

There is a differcence between punishing a child, and a convict. The convice is is because of justice, and the child it isto help grow good moral charater.

I don't think that beliving is a religon. I belief i will wake up tomarrow, but I don't worship it.

Why did you pick love and fear? Why are there only two emotions that from them define all human character?
    There are more emotions than just love and hate/fear, all equally important.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Love can not punish, it can only teach...

18. Ender Registered Senior Member

Alright then...

that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that love has been expresses and the dump-all emotion, and one of two emotions that exist.

Thanks for postion Truth

19. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Not only justice. If you read theory about penal system, there is also a large role in punishment to make the convict think about his acts and become a moral person.

But I agree with you that this often is not the case.

It depends on your definition of religion of course. But the things my mind circles around sometimes, can be described as a religion, since the universal energy is God himself. There are a lot of posts by Truthseeker and also by others and myself about this concept.

I have yet to encounter the emotion that can not be brought to one of these two. Even more: the second is only the negative of the first, so not even real. Example: jealousy=fear of losing love.
    Respect comes from love.

But as I said, it is hard to apply it all the time. It also has no practical use. It is fine to believe that good and evil only exist from our point of view. It is nice to think that the ultimate reality is love only. But we are still here for a reason, and we have to live by this reality, thus distinguish good and evil. Otherwise you can go to a monastary and wait there till you die.

When sticking to matter time and space (which is currently the best way to go): yes.

20. Ender Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure about the part about " The things my mind circles around" would that be thinking about something be concidered a religon?

How do you come to the reason that the universal energy is god himself?