Sirius vs. XM satellite radio?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Fraggle Rocker, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Now that I'm spending an hour and a half commuting every day, I need to get satellite radio in my car.

Does anyone have an opinion on Sirius vs. XM?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Post merger, my understanding is that the music channels on both are largely the same, with a few differences that largely favor XM. Sports and talk radio are supposed to be merged (if they haven't already).

Frankly, and as someone who likes their services, I am surprised Sirius XM can maintain two brands of the same product cost effectively in the face of competition from mp3 players that can easily be plugged into car sound systems.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

As I'm sure you know, XM and Sirius merged.

I, too, have an hour commute. My boyfriend bought me an XM tuner for Christmas. Unless you're into the "unique" talk shows, there is no difference. All of the news stations, comedy and music stations are the same. On top of that, you can buy the shows from the "other" service as well.

Let me give you a word of advice: call back and "pretend" to cancel the service after--say--30 days. Tell them you hate it and it just isn't worth it. Your jaw will hit the floor with what happens next. . . They will offer you the fucking world to keep you from quitting. I should have done it sooner. I was paying for the "premium" subscription ($12.95-ish per month). Four months later, I decided it just wasn't worth it. When I called to quit, they gave me the next two months for free and the next six months for $25 dollars (paid up front). No contract. No nothin'!!! The lady who helped me even said, "And when the next 8 months is up, you can call back and we'll probably extend the same offer to you." REALLY!!!!

So, yeah. At the new price, it's worth it.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

It is much better than regular radio. Some stuff you will never even hear anyplace else, but i only am certain of that for the Blues channel. Most of that stuff never gets played and even new musicians you will otherwise never hear of and are much better than mainstream too. The Blues channel is excellent. The problem with it is portability and losing the signal with trees but maybe that is better now, but then i have the oldest radio made for XM and i no longer even made. SuperString is right about some of the talk shows afaik. You also get televised news, a few international stations and sports channels. For me it is, i think $99 for a year.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

>As I'm sure you know, XM and Sirius merged.

I am sure he doesn't. The news reach Brazil usually 1 year later....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. superstring01 Moderator

Call and cancel. I dare you. See what happens. I'm paying a fraction of that just because I tried to cancel.

~String

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So far the majority of people I've asked who know anything about it recommend Sirius. The navigation looks a little more logical to me, but then I'm a Macintosh user.

I only want music. My car is a shrine for listening to music and I don't even like it when my passengers talk, much less people on the radio.

Lack of commercials is one of the things I like about satellite radio, although I also want a wider variety of music.

Here in the Washington region, one of the most cosmopolitan places in America, there are about ten stations that play hip-hop, ten more that play oldies (excuse me, "classic rock," I don't mind it but I have all those records at home plus the ones they never play like Roxy Music and the Strawbs), five that play country, a few in Spanish (which I actually enjoy), and a whole bunch that never play music at all. But there are only two that play contemporary rock and roll, and they're not very adventurous.

I would pay extra to ensure that I never tune in Howard Stern, even by accident.

11. superstring01 Moderator

Then the two services will be identical. I like to listen to news in the car. But if you just like the music, you can select music stations only. It´ll be cheap. . . like $7.50 per month, I think.

Just remember to try to cancel.

~String

12. John99 Banned Banned

Well first you are exaggerating on the 20 stations playing hip hop and classic rock.

I like talk radio but became somewhat tired of it especially after Art Bell retired. Some people on talk radio are really funny though.

Hair Nation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTswR0HzDAA

Deep Tracks is just what the name suggests.

Its cool cause it get you into different things.

Right now i'm listenening to willie nelson. tbh, this is the first time i heard him and i like what he layin down.

In this way i am broadening my horizons. *john switches to the french channel (cant understand them and the music is very strange to me*

hey lets see what those canadian are saying

*john switches to the canadian channel*

I like the lyrics of the songs on the outlaw channel

For example:

im goin ta jackson gonna mess around
    Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson,
    Look out Jackson town.

and:

I've always been different with one foot over the line

Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind

It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

whoa a whoa a whoa (i added that line)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I just download tunes from the PC to my IPhone then plug that into my cars radio to enjoy all the music I enjoy whenever I travel. I have over 3,000 tunes and change some when I want to. Why pay fees to listen to what I enjoy when I can listen for free.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I apologize, wrong joke. I misstook FR for Billy T, who is from Brazil...

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I can listen to my own collection whenever I want. I want to discover new music, and the 45-minute drive to work is the perfect time.
    We both have birds, easy mistake.