So apparently, smoking is good for you

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Jan 27, 2014.

1. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

What about the harm of second hand smoke, that non smokers have there lungs destroyed with?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Easily proven with why the Government in the UK went with a Countrywide smoking ban in public places. This was likely supported because of the number of Landlady and Landlords of particular public houses contracted untreatable levels of cancer. (I know of at least two that died as a result of second-hand smoke inhalation.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I will explain why I started this thread. I read in the news about the Marlboro man dying, and I have found it strange that they forgot to mention his age. The curious person I am I looked it up and lo and behold, the dude was 72, which isn't a bad age to die. I also started to research smoking and old age, and I wanted a discussion about it. Now here are a few posters crying about me trolling and such, instead of doing a quick internet search and proving me wrong or something. If you don't like the thread, don't participate.

As I mentioned I hate smokers and of course I know that smoking is bad for your health, but that said, I still would like to know how certain smokers can live to very old age without any problems. that is the real mystery.

Now I actually going to help you guys because you are terrible otherwise.( I mean seriously, the drunk driving analogy?) A possible solution to the mystery is that not every smoking types are the same. Was the smoker using a filter, was he/she inhaling it, how many cigis a day, etc? I have an article where the lady smoked 172K cigarettes in her lifetime, but she wasn't inhaling it at all, thus she made it to 100+. (why she was smoking then is another question) The bottomline is, unless we know the exact smoking habits of each individual, it is hard to make a stats as a whole group... And probably that explains the huge differences in their mortality.

So again boys, relax, stop crying, and maybe smoke a cigarette when you are stressed out because of my posting habits. Also, smoking is good for your waistline....(seriously)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tes-birthday-smoking-170-000th-cigarette.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

If you are not trolling, then prove it by starting to respond to what has been provided to you, such as the article linked in post #21.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

"A drunk driver can still be a good driver?" Then you oppose drunk driving laws, since drunk drivers might be just as good drivers as anyone else? Interesting view of the world you have!

Yes. My father was recently in the hospital for a CABG. Lots of very fat, very old people in intensive care recovering from heart surgery. And my wife used to see a lot of fat old people with knee problems (she was an orthopedic surgeon) due to all the damage that weight does to your knees.

Who to believe? Doctor, or someone who read something on the Internet? Tough call.

?? Then how are they making it to age 80?

You just proved yourself wrong. Case closed.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

You wanted evidence but you have ignored it, I posted actual scientific research, not anecdotes or exceptions

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Syzygys,

The question you need to ask, perhaps, is: what percentage of people who smoke for 6-7 decades live to a ripe old age?

Answer that question and you will have a more realistic idea of the effects of smoking (or non-effects, as the case may be). Of course, you'll probably want to compare the smokers with the non-smokers.

Suppose you live in the United States, and let's say the population is 300 million people. Suppose that you have a one in a million chance of being a smoker who lives to 100 years old. Then, we'd expect to find 300 people in the United States who smoked their whole lives and yet lived to be 100. We shouldn't be surprised.

Your problem is most likely that you don't appreciate the statistics of large numbers properly.

Would you be happy to live to the ripe old age of 52?

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Sure I know about big number. But can you point out an 100 years old obese guy? No such a thing. How about a heroin addict? Some of the posters tried to argue that it is all luck, like driving drunk. If that is the best explanation, people might as well just smoke...

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I know that smoking is bad for you, so relax. What I wanted to know why some of the smokers make it to 100... Didn't you read post #63?

Anyway, looks like I have to do all the work:

http://labsoftnews.typepad.com/lab_...lifestyle-major-contributor-to-long-life.html

this article does claim that it is mostly genetics and not healthy living that is responsible for longevity...

But anyway, let's celebrate!:

"Happy Birthday to Clara Cowell, a 102-year-old English woman that the Surgeon General probably doesn't want you to hear about. You see, Cowell has been smoking for about 82 of those years, and she's in damn good health.

Cowell first lit a cigarette in 1931, and has smoked two or three a day since. Her daughter Lynda Fowler (which I almost typed as "Lila Fowler") said "The secret to mum's long life is a cigarette and a cup of tea with whisky. That and hard work and poverty. She's an inspiration.""

http://jezebel.com/5984946/102 year old-woman-quits-smoking-but-not-for-her-health

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

This has been spoon-fed to you too, so go do some of your work yourself: Google "bell curve" and then ask specific questions about what parts you don't understand.

...not that that excuses the trolling. Post #63 is still burden of proof shifting, goalpost shifting and misinformation/straw man ("...with no problems." is not true).

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I dunno, some stats numbers would be nice instead of hearsay from you. But I tell you what, I will admit I was wrong on this one and apparently 1 in 9 people over 80 still obese (BMI >30), according to not you but this:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/5/923.full

See? How easy it is to prove me wrong, instead of crying?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Somebody needs a cigarette here!

Are you the one with the lucky argument? Because then I am going to buy a pack of cigarettes... I might as well just take my chances....

But because I love you, enjoy:

"ENGLAND - At age 16, Dorothy Howe took her first drag of a cigarette. 84 years and roughly 460,000 cigarettes later, the former secretary credits her longevity to all that smoking and a little bit of whisky.

"I put my health down to whisky and cigarettes. I only drink when I’m out but my doctor said I wouldn't be alive without them," she said."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Smoking is not a guaranteed killer. It just vastly increases your chances of dying from various kinds of cancer, heart disease and so on. A few people manage to avoid that fate.

Did you try to find some actual statistics, as I suggested?

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Or drive drunk, by your logic!

18. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'm not the only one who brought it up, but if you believe you should take your chances, then you didn't google "bell curve".
    Still trolling. You said you were going to stop. Why do you expect people to help you if you won't stop trolling and start trying to learn?

Edit: I've created a mathematical model in Excel to demonstrate the issue. If you stop trolling and ask nicely, I'll post it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  19. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Or even play Russian Roulette 20 times!