Spam Patrol

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by spidergoat, Feb 9, 2010.

?

Should Spidergoat be permitted to delete spam?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2010.
  1. Yes.

47.8%
  2. No.

52.2%
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Kira awakened a 6 months old thread for no good reason. By the way the poll's result (50-50) is funny...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It has always seemed to me that there is a very effective spam policing here. As a mod, I rarely delete commercial spam myself, because it is so swiftly identified and removed by others. Dywyddyr, JamesR, and others are remarkably efficient at this, and deserve our recognition and thanks as members. Until I became a moderator, I had no idea how much cleanup goes on behind the scenes. If those who are removing spam for us ceased in their diligent unpaid service, SciForums would be overwhelmed by spam and become a very unattractive place to visit, within a day or two.

As for improving the general quality of posts here beyond mundane spam control-
    I'll again repeat my opinion that we are all moderators here: We all moderate our own posts; we all exert our greatest influence (whether conferred official powers or not) for the advancement and enhancement of this place, by the quality of our own posts. Administrative powers here do not really entail nearly as much leverage upon others here as do simple respect, good faith, and intelligent participation among peers in a community.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.