(split) Atheism and acceptance of science

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by S.A.M., Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats not independent of the organism... you said:

but you're selecting strains of the organism, not the gene. How does glucose oxidation ability of the cherry picked strain of Penicillium funiculosum tell you anything about the fitness of the gene overall?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It certainly bloody is independent of the organism. The individual cells (organisms) aren't surviving, you understand, Sam. Or are you referring to the species? This, too would be irrelevant though, since your request was related to the advantage conferred by specific genes.

You're selecting strains with an enhanced ability for synthesis of glucose oxidase. If you selected a single individual, the outcome would be the same. Strain selection is a simple logistical tool for selecting the gene.

You stated above that you wished to review the methods for such an experiment. I have provided one, and you now have the opportunity to do so. I cannot help you indefinitely.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Oh, there's a lot of good effort and fascinating results available - but your approach here is blind to them. Hence my refusal. But if Geoff is willing to make the attempt, perhaps we will see gratitude from you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So the information you obtained is representative of the gene in any organism? Or just the one selected?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Sam, please don't change your posts after posting to alter their meaning. I realize this is just something you do, but the addition of the phrase "cherry-picked" is unnecessary and completely inaccurate.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're selecting for a strain of one organism over all others [all other strains, all other organisms]. Based on what?

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

?? Other systems will operate in other ways according to their physiology, reproductive characteristics and/or mechanistics and genetic architecture. Yet, any number of models exist for evolutionary processes.

Now: have you reviewed the specific dynamics of the article I cited? I know you're not in the lab right now, but you should probably have access from off-campus.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So this data is specific to this strain of this organism only?

[I want to clarify the sampling method before reading the paper]

PS I don't have access to this journal.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The top down, creationist approach again. It's a characteristic, I think. The potential general advantages of an atheistic worldview, in avoiding one apparent path into this trap, are immediately obvious.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are you suggesting that questioning the sampling procedure is a creationist approach? These are the first and foremost questions asked of anyone who does this type of experiment.

ie why did you select this cell model or organism or mouse model or rat strain above all others. Especially when you begin by claiming that your results are independent of the organism used. And suggestions that anyone who thinks otherwise is a closet theist. I'd like to see how well that goes over at the annual Experimental Biology conference

Meanwhile, I asked for an example of a publication where the fitness of the gene is estimated independent of the organism and we are provided with the estimation of glucose oxidation activity in mutants of a strain of an organism selected for its GO activity as an example.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I did my tissue oxidation studies in liver cells obtained from freshly harvested rats. Do you believe it will resembe the enzyme activity and hence fitness of the GO gene in the P. funiculosum mutants?

Can I imply that it will? Is it independent of the organism I used?

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It might. You might. It might be. Do you think that no organisms share physiology? To what extent are they similar? Does every species have unique biochemistry? What features do they share? Come on.

This is biology. You want perfect correspondance and complete predictability? Physics and chem are just in the next building.

And theology is lurking in your closet.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So lets summarise. Estimation of glucose oxidation activity in a mutant strain of Penicillium funiculosum is an estimate of the fitness of the gene for glucose oxidation independent of the organism?

Thats your stance?

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

No, after controlling for background effects of the organism. Most people usually apply fitness to an individual, however: selective advantage then, to the gene.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hmm - I correct myself. People do indeed use it for the gene itself. Not what I was taught.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Frankly it seems to me like you're going to the most fecund couples in a randomly picked village, altering their reproductive potential to maximal and then estimating their numerous kids as the trend for fitness of that gene. I'm not even certain its representative of the village let alone the gene in the whole universe.

Not that they even seem to be estimating the fitness of the gene in the paper you gave me.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

More or less, but the usual trend is to have some reasonable physiology behind that.

Then you could argue that the environmental controls are inadequate. Have you evidence that this is so? Does the gene need to work the same the whole universe over, or just in parts thereof?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No clue, but I'm pretty certain that there are differences in glucose oxidation activity between liver and muscle cells within rats. I'm certainly not going to pretend I can predict GO activity for a mutant penicillium strain, let alone the fitness trends of its gene.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Excuse me but SciForums is not an academy, a university, or even an online journal. There's no primary or secondary research going on here, only (occasionally) tertiary and (more usually) quaternary and beyond. In a place of quaternary research, professional standing in the discipline of discourse is sufficient evidence in support of a person's assertions to satisfy the Rule of Laplace. Citing an article by a professional, or being a professional, does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt the validity of the assertion, but it places on anyone who challenges it the obligation to provide contradictory evidence, not merely to shout, for example, "You're wrong because you're a theist!"

Therefore it is important to verify the credentials of anyone who is casually accepted by the members as a professional scientist. Since we don't check them when people become members, it is entirely fair, and even vital, to ask:
    • Do you have a university degree in biology?
    • What level? Baccalaureate, magistral, doctoral?
    • What university?
    • How long ago? You're young enough (or so you say!) to waive this requirement. But if, for example, my 1967 B.A. were in computer science (it's in accounting), 90% of what I learned would be obsolete.
    • Are you a career scientist using that degree as qualification for your job?
    • Where and for whom? For example, you're all aware of my categorical rejection of the U.S. government as a reference for absolutely anything--the people who told us that Saddam Hussein had WMDs and that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol and tobacco.
    • Does the quality of your work keep you in good standing with your peers?
    Please be a dear--and a good scientist--and answer the questions.
    I challenge that assertion. As a Moderator I see a lot of trolling. Hardly a day goes by that we don't have to ban a member for it--often permanently. I agree that Sam trolls but she's hardly in a class with, say, Baron Max or Brent/Tnerb.
    How did Dawkins get appointed as the spokesman for atheistic scientists, much less for all atheists? I don't have the qualifications in biology to challenge his science, although privately I'm very skeptical of it and never cite it as a reference; but I absolutely do not appreciate his rhetorical style. It's one thing to antagonize theists on SciForums, where theism is specifically defined as a collection of extraordinary assertions lacking extraordinary support. It's quite another to stand up in front of the entire world and talk that way. Particularly given that he's not a good writer and uses both sloppy language and poorly researched data the moment he sets one toe outside his scientific specialty. If you regard religion, specifically Abrahamic monotheism, as a cancer, as I do, Dawkins's screeds are not going to help combat the epidemic.
    A poorly constructed definition. Subunits of what? Genes are comprised of DNA. What do the genes comprise?
    I disagree with this elaboration, although I confess I'm speaking as the Linguistics Moderator and I haven't looked up the consensus of biologists. (My opinion on the haphazard way otherwise-precise scientists treat the language is also on record.) In order to make sense and to conform to the way evolution works, "survival of the fittest" must refer to individual complete organisms, and ultimately accrues up to populations, subspecies and species. It's rare for a trait that affects survivability (or anything else) to be determined by a single gene. It's usually a group of genes. The individual "bad" genes might survive in individuals in whom they don't occur together, and in fact by themselves or in combination with other genes they might even have a positive effect on survivability of the individual.
    Have you checked the sperm banks? I haven't either, but I'll wager that there's a demand for it. Some people will take the chance of the intelligence being separated from the illness in the sperm.
    A perfect illustration of reflexes at work. You're saying the reflex center in his spine responsible for the orgasmic reflex is not affected by the illness that has cut off most communication between his brain and the rest of his body.
    A species is not counted as "extinct" until there are no living members. Right? Obviously, depending on its place in the paradigm of lifeforms, at least 50% and as many as 98% of its genes live on in other species. Even animals and plants, two of the six kingdoms, share about half of their DNA.
    As the Linguistics Moderator I have to point out that the term "creationism" has been hijacked by the Evolution Denial movement. Supernaturalists who merely object to abiogenesis (which has not been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt and therefore is not a canonical scientific theory like evolution), and supernaturalists who assert that a being external to the natural universe guides the course of evolution, should not be called creationists. This includes Catholics and the vast majority of Protestants and other Abrahamists outside the benighted post-1960s United States, all of whom accept evolution unremarkably.

Even though these people indeed believe that the natural universe was created by an external being and therefore by our scientific definition the word "creationist" is technically appropriate, in general discourse it will invariably be misinterpreted as "evolution denialist" and will derail the discussion.

However, it's worth pointing out that even their least extreme disagreement with us (that a god is sitting in his celestial easy chair tweaking the laws of probability for his own amusement to favor of the evolution of the species he wants to populate his favorite planet) still flies in the face of science by suspending the law of probability that underlies the scientific model of the natural universe. We're diligently trying to figure out how something could have occurred that is not quite impossible but still astoundingly unlikely (the local reversal of entropy which allowed for the increase in organization we call "life" to arise). They tell us we'll never figure it out--and we don't have to--because God did it.

To whoever challenged my use of the words "illogical and unobservable" to summarize gods, here's an example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.