Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. it can be viewed as an altenate or better said "symetrical" universe, where laws of physics are somewhat inverted.
    2.the obvious advantage is that with little or no active use of energy for the motion itself you cna get real fast real far. some physisists back in the 60's calculated the top speed for the tachyons (FTL moving particles or objects) an wasreal fast. can't say how fast (i forgot tne numbers) but if you google around you'll find it
    3.that's easy, they never invented tachyon communications (not thatsych a tech semaspossible at all).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

I didnt mean just communicating... and I think I might have found enough answer here, which I will read now.

-edit- Im typing up my own deal at wookie now. They'll just have to accept that I'm right because nobody else understands time anyway. HAHA

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Here's the theory I've come up with. The ship gets near the speed of light, bam, it jumps into hyperspace where time starts rushing by faster. The whole idea is not bending space, but speeding up time. So the question came up how come all the ships with different drive ratings leave and end up arriving at the same time? Well I answered this with the idea that the duration of their trips is relative to the observer. The faster the ship, the shorter the trip duration, but only to those who are on board. (This may have been discussed in a novel or some shit but I didn't read any)

So I jump on the fast ship, jump to the edge of the galaxy, But then make the return trip in a slower ship. From an outside observer, the trips were equal in duration, but I had time to smoke more cigarettes on the slower ship. So we line them up for a race down and back, ready set go! You wave the flag at the finish line, we're both there crossing the line at the same time, but the pilot of the slow ship is doing the pee-pee dance cuzz he's been holding it for a few hours longer. So yeah, the passage of time differs according to drive rating but from those who are watching the show, they're all equal. Which is truly fastest depends only if you plan to ride along. So if you're heading to an opera on the Klingon home world, and you still need to shower and change, then ride with the slow folk. Won't matter - you'll all make it in time.

Klingon? Wait, thats the wrong frickin show... :bugeye:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well, when i wrote communications i did not ment just a radio, i meant all forms of external data excange, like tracking sensors, visual scaners, data uplinks and so on...

8. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

The stuff I was question is about physical interaction, because I'd read statements like these, which present the same thing I was asking...

"A ship in WARP can interact with normal space, IE comunicate, plot courses, fight, etc... A ship in HYPERSPACE, can not."
    "If there was no interaction, it wouldn't be a problem to fly through a star or planet."
    "There is also an incident mentioned in the ROTS:ICS where a ship effectively destroyed a planet by accidently ramming it in hyperspace."
    "Thing is, it is impossible to interact with a planet. The mass shadow (gravity) of the planet exists in hyperspace, the planet doesn't."

Now, how cool would that be if they didn't really need to worry about crashing at all? Hyperspace would be my choice for travel if it was this safe and reliable. However, it can't be used to chase anything, so its useless for conflicts except for making a quick exit. Also, since sensors and stuff can't interact, they can make surprise visits, but they're also blind to what may be there waiting.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

aye, that is true, while in hyperspcay you are blind to your target's current situation, allthough the target can detect the tachyon emissions a short time before you exit. this makes it a bouble edged sword as you said, good for surprises, but it works both ways.

as for those claims that a FTL moving object has greater destructive ability when ramming, it is pure bullox in mu opinion. those claims are made on the elementary school interpretation that the energy of the colision is determined and proportional to the velocity (or the square of it) of the moving object. this is all fine and dandy as long as the object moves STL. however once the speed is FTL, the object's parameters become imaginary, and if mesured in absolute values, the total energy of the moving object will get even lower as the FTL factor increases. the best way to ram an object for max damage is to move at high relativistic speeds, but still remain belloe 1c.

10. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

How can they do that? Please explain.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i have no idea how, but in Ep VI ROTJ, short time before the rebels drop out of hyperspace the imperials on Endor detected them. the same thing happened in Ep V on Hoth.

12. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Guess I have to invent how that works too. Bad thing is, I invent stuff so good that SW might 1-Up Trek by the time Im done

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

HAHAHA

13. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

How can Star Destroyers fire through their own shields? I read something about shield frequencies but also they that don't use frequencies, obviously to claim they have no vulnerability and somehow they can allow them to fire out but not allow firing in. Anyone care to elaborate and explain this?

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it's called warsie bullshit

15. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Actually it is handwaved by magic. No wait, that's the Force.:m:

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

maybe they create openings? if it's a particle/plasma shield, then it may be possible to open a small hole where their weapons fire should pass?

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Then the second that hole opens, we'll fire thru it and obliterate your weapons even easier...

18. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

They aren't his weapons.

lol

If there were holes like that, ST transporters could beam anything right through the holes. If they have a rotating frequency, same deal, only a little harder to do but far from impossible, especially if its a priority to fine-tune some tech specifically for this.

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

as alpinedigital said they are not my weapons kitt :m:
    nesides the opnings are probably to short to be efectively used, but some random fire might get through, who knows?

as for using the transporters, well i don't know if those shields would protect from beaming in the first place. the rayshielding might act like jammers though. still no person in their right mind would drop their own shields in open combat to beam to an enemy ship.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It's been done - you only have to drop the shield grid facing the transport site. Make a hard delta turn and drop the shield as it passes over - it'll be out of the arc of fire before the enemy can get a shot off

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i'm sure it was already done, probably in Voyager too

however good luck doing it in pitched battles

22. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

If the opponent is still from the GFFA, you wouldn't need to. They wouldn't be able to accurately aim into that hole unless they were dead still and a few meters away.

23. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

LOL Against Star Destroyers? Their hit miss ratio is so sad you'd have to encourage me to waste the energy to RAISE the shields in the first place. They are firing from canons, which have to be physically turned to aim, and they simply don't turn fast enough to consider their weapons too threatening.

well if you want to get all discouraging, we still have yet another trick.. just do a drive-by right close to the ISD and launch a shuttle craft, and then....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.