Survey: Globalization (tapping the sciforums genius)

Discussion in 'World Events' started by oedipus, Jan 7, 2003.

1. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

Sorry I haven't posted in a while guys, but just been too busy. Then however, I had the thought to merge my work and fun so here it is. I am doing my Honors English Civic Project, and we were allowed to choose whatever topic we wished, I picked globalization and the future of the economy in the US as well as in other countries and what the long term affect will be. One of the required research aspects is to conduct an interview with someone on the topoc and it hit me, why not use sciforums? You guys are much smarter than talking to some old geezer from the Regan era who would tell me about the benefits of Trickle down economics.

Answer as many of the following questions as you like, you may just post your answers, or you can e-mail me at voodoochild616@hotmail.com. If you would like to be quoted send along your name, otherwise you will just be a staistic but that is ok too.

1. What do you think is the present state of the US economy?

2. What do you think are the present stages of the economies of other countries, compared to that of the US?

3. What do you think globalization is?

4. How do you think globalization is affecting the economy of the US?

5. How do you think that globalization is affecting the economies of other countries in the world?

6. What do you hear about globalization on television, radio, etc?

7. What do you hear about the economy of the US on television, radio, etc?

8. What do you know about Labor Unions?

9. What do you know about N.A.F.T.A, the WTO, and G.A.T.T. ?

10. What do you know about world trade?

11. What are your opinions about any or all of the above topics?

If I think of anything else I will post it.
    thank you for your help

Rich Hilliard at voodoochild616@hotmail.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. prozak Banned Banned

It's a Judeo-Christian-technocrat plot.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Boom

2. What do you think are the present stages of the economies of other countries, compared to that of the US?
    Rescetion (sp)

To Bring under international control.

Very well

5. How do you think that globalization is affecting the economies of other countries in the world?
    Not very well, diverts control away to America.

Not much.

Again, not much.

A representation or a voice for labour movements eg teachers.

Nothing

Whats there to know?

Globalisation is bad, centralisation is good.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

More insight from prozak....

Weak and growing weaker.

Normally I'd ask that you'd go into more detail, since the economies of other nations vary, however none are as powerful or influential as that of the U.S. Possibly except for Venezuela (there may be riots going on down there?) because of its oil. Argentina may be the worst. I don't believe that any of the economies in Europe are particularly bad, I'd put them all in the medium range, except for Germany, which has a poor economy but a ton of benefits for its citizens, so their living isn't too bad. I'm going on what I know here. Russia is recovering from when it was a communist state, it's still "in the dumps," China's economy isn't too bad, they trade with us a great deal (made in china), even if they are technically communist, even though there may have been a slight liberal-capitalist upheaval in their version of the Politburo...

Directly or indirectly forcing your culture and your markets upon the weaker markets and the weaker nations of others through military and political influence. You can't have a wealthy nation that is also powerful militarily, nor can you have a powerful military without a strong economy. To get to that point you have to exploit the weakness of naive foreign markets that haven't developed the same laws (to protect workers) and the same technologies. The goal is for everyone to become dependent upon you.

We'd be in trouble if every nation on earth embargoed us.

I think that weaker nations can use our products as a booster but that if they continue to use them after they've established their economies then they will merely become another packet of anytown USAs. The economies that were already strong have been smothered while others, like Japan, have prospered globally, even if their national economy is weak.

Next to nothing.

They're the thorns in the sides of the wealthy that were created to cater to the middle or lower class worker. They ban together to fight oppressive bosses who tend to try to steal as much cash from their workers as possible, given the power. Recently there was a clash along the (entire?) west coast where various loading workers and their unions ceased production because their jobs were going to machines (which actually performed the jobs at a much higher efficiency). They really blockaded trade from the west and results of that were beginning to be seen before our dictator ordered troops to take the workers' places.

The North American Free Trade Agreement I think merely allows free trade among both americas, I don't know much about it, the World Trade Organization is protested whenever they meet in the US, I believe they practice the subtle art of globalization, they're like the upper class corporations of the world competing with their outnumbered lower class competitors. Never heard of GATT.

The rich are becoming too rich, the poor are becoming too poor, if more moderation is forced upon the wealthy then sooner or later there's going to be the bloodiest revolution ever experienced by mankind. It's really an ongoing cycle, the rich opress the poor, the poor kill the rich, everyone is equal for a little while, the rich climb the social ladder and opress the lower class and then they die once again.

You know who I am:bugeye:

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i KNOW that everyone who thinks i hate the US is going to use THIS against me

why do i care?

ours WAS going well

being screwed over by other countrys because we try to implemet it and they just use it as an escuse (ie the metal tarifs of the US, beef tarifs in brittan)

i care because? but i have to say THEY R USING IT TO TAKE OVER

um being sucked away from the country by exploytation

a lot of how good it is coming from the fed gov and how bad it is from EVERYONE else

how bad it is, (still dont care) and how much better ours is doing

HAHH, one i know about, they r the ONLY defence of the worker against exployation (asking a child of a working class family about that

)

NOTHING

companys exployt it (ie NIKE)

globablisation is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD (unions r GOOD

)

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

When a business is in trouble, you can do two things: sell, downsize, lose dead weight; or aggressively expand, bring in new business and new income. The USA has been doing the latter for a long time. However, their political policies have been pissing everyone off, limiting new business, and that aggressive expansion is now on crutches. The USA is becoming more isolationist, more reliant upon military actions to prompt economic activity. This might lead to the USA becoming a more and more isolated and militarily active state.

Some are stable, some are falling down, some are rising. As always. I think China will become a HUGE economic power very soon.

• The companies that do well buy out the competition and take over markets.
    • In first world nations, labour unions can exist, which is good, but unfortunately they drive up production costs.
    • Those strong companies say "Screw it, let's use overseas labour, it's cheaper".
    • First world nations with labour unions become societies of consumers, rather than producers, as production has moved overseas.
    • In the nations where the labour has moved to, economic activity is stimulated. Money comes in. The economy starts moving. Eventually they will develop labour unions, and the companies will move production elsewhere, and the process continues.
    • Now with labour unions in the countries doing all the production, and with the economy stimulated, those countries start dragging themselves up from the third world. Conditions eventually improve.

The USA is becoming a land of consumers, with minimal production. With labour moving overseas in this pattern, such a society overs toward higher education and more high-tech industries, such as Silicon Valley. Things that can't be done in the developing world. As far as I know, there is no such things as a Programmers Union yet. As soon as their is, there will be a standardised minimum wage for coders, prices will go up, and Microsoft will use Sri Lankan coders instead.

It benefits developing nations as described above. Dead economies are stimulated, thye start on production, to improve efficiency they need to improve methods, so they must have greater skill, so this prompts better education... Simple economic run-off from this gives better health and everything else.

As in all things, it is the very vocal ranting maniacs who get in front of the cameras. So we hear lots of "globalisation is evil!" with no actual reason for saying it.

Mostly hear how trends in the USA economy affect the Australian economy.

They're a bloody good idea in general, but they need two simple limits: they can not strike for anything over double the average wage; and they can not restrict anyone else from working. On the other hand, they do, as I've said, force companies to move productin overseas. In developing nations, labour unions are absolutely necessary to help improve the conditions as they should be improved with that influx of money. In developed nations, they drive out production.

NAFTA: Supposedly instituted to establish free trade, but then the USA got into subsidising their wheat, steel, wool, and other industries, totally going back on the deal.

WTO: A body whose sole purpose is to organise the processes I have already outlined. See where the production is going, check that it is done according to humanitarian standards, discuss its effect on economies, and so on.

I don't have steel, but I have petrol. You don't have petrol, but you have steel. We trade. It's a good thing.

Globalisation is a good thing. However, to be the beneficial force it can be, it does need effective oversight by a group such as the United Nations.

10. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

An imaginary recession. People have it good but they compare to the fantasy heydays of the late 1990s.

Mostly the same or worse.

Increasing world trade and cultural overlap.

It’s improving it.

It’s improving it.

Typically related to activist riots, like against the WTO.

That the economy is lackluster.

Their primary purpose is so employees can collectively—hence more effectively—negotiate for wages and benefits.

The basics about the purpose of each.

What it is.

Globalization is overall a good thing and inevitable. More trade = more partnering = common interests = less war. I think globalization will be the key to solving the world’s trickiest problems. Within a few hundred years I imagine we’ll have a strong world government and a public who thinks about their nation similar to how people today think about their state or province. Americans will have a lower standard of living using today’s barometer, but they’ll have learned that money and things weren’t that important. Cultural diversity will be a hot topic even as everyone watches the world’s best sitcoms. Dictatorships will be relegated to history’s dustbin.

11. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

good good, keep it coming, i like what im hearing so far, lets get a lot more.

12. Kyle_S Registered Senior Member

It's exceptionally powerful but somewhat volatile due to world issues. It continues to grow at a rate that outpaces many competing economies who sport increasingly centralized economies.
    Their much more volatile because they lack military (and thus diplomatic) influence throughout their world. As the free rider problem continues, you'll see their economies hinge on decisions made by Washington more and more.
    It's still too early to tell. It's good because it brings industry to nations, but it's bad because, with it, comes 21st century technology and medicine in places that aren't suited for it.
    More money tends to flow out of the US as a result of globalization than inwards, but the net effect is positive because the companies can get away from bloated union beuracracies and allows most people to get the products cheaper.
    In some cases, the companies entering nations gain overwhelming influence and the result can be tragic for small parts of the population.

Overall, I assume it will do well. Salaries have been raising at very fast rates in areas that get industrialized and it allows nations to get basic infrastructure.
    Little to nothing, because it can't be effectively summarized into 20 seconds and doesn't generate catchy quotes. Globalization is pretty new and will take half a century before it can be adequately judged.
    See above.
    They once served a purpose, but are becoming bloated beuracracies that no longer serve the people who finance them. In some cases they're useful, but in many instances they try to utterly dominate whatever force they were initially designed to work with. Teacher unions, for instance, are good at gaining higher wages for teachers, but in many high profile cases you'll see instances where these very same unions are detrimental to the education of students.
    Trade organizations that serve as political tools.
    Goods exchange between interdependent economies at ever increasing rates. It's often impeded by government protectionism (for good or worse).
    They're interesting over a study of their long term effects, but aren't very exciting over the short term.

edit: on a side note, i wrong this when i was tired, so some stuff may not sound right. sorry

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Here are a few answers.

It is a moderate recession that is over-rated. Our economy is still doing better than most other countries. Whatever goes up must come down. This low spot will let some people buy stock at a marginal cost and make a fortune when it goes back up.

The expansion of corperations into sometimes unwanted places. This makes a lot of money and improves everyone's bank account but it causes cultural clashes all the time.

It is improving the portfolios of those involved in trade and the like but it draws industrial jobs away to other countries as they often have a cheaper workforce.

Yes, of course. To the better actually though at their cultures' expense.

Every few years it rises into the limelight and is talked about on tv, in magazines, and on the internet. THen the public loses intrest.

A lot of panic followed by one or two guys saying its not that bad. People keep prophesizeing a full blown depression that never happens. The government keeps talking about steps to improve the economy but they only have a marginal effect.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

isnt it interesting how we can INSTANTLY determin a persons\familys bracket basied on there responces

those who invest money are all for globalisatiob for lower costs= more profits and think unions are bad

those who come from working class familys think unions are a good thing and see that money is flowing AWAY from there comtry into big companys basied in the US (hence the money flows to the US)

people like adam who havent had to deal with EITHER side are more impartial

15. Kyle_S Registered Senior Member

My dad has worked in a factory for more than 20 years, and he's a member of a small union. It's effective enough to benefit the employees, but isn't a bloated powerhouse that tries to force the company to bend to its will. That's the key difference.