Talmud Translation

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by LionHearted, May 29, 2003.

1. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

I've been looking for a translation of the Jewish Talmud to read it and try to understand a few things, but I can't find one anywhere. I can find just about every other religious text translated into just about any language, but no Talmud anywhere. The Jews are always accusing the anti-Semites of misquoting the Talmud. Wouldn't it be a pretty simple task to just publish a copy of the Talmud so they can see for themselves? Why is it so hard to find?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Flores Registered Senior Member

This is a bunch of gibirish......I take it Moses didn't write these, so who did and what gave him the authority to represent Judiasm and right down it's laws..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

"The Talmud is a record of discussions on laws, customs, legends and stories that expand on the earlier writings in the Torah and Mishnah; in many ways it functions for Jews as a form of scripture. The Talmud is the basis for all the later codes of Jewish law and Jewish ethics." [More]

8. Flores Registered Senior Member

Okay, so it is not a proclaimed word of god...just people who though their religion is not complete enough to satisfy them and started adding and exceeding it, and so following it or not is irrelevant of measuring true belief in god.

9. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

Are you sure that's the whole thing? I thought there was quite a bit more than that.

10. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Did you read what it said on the website?

11. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

Oh no, I didn't. Looks like this is only about a third of it. It's better than nothing. Thank you.

12. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Your ignorance is pathetic.

13. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

The Talmud is HUUUGE! Volumes and Volumes. Interesting read, but in ways, very restrictive and in others - can be downright racist. But when you get down to it, it's a brilliant set of philosophy. I haven't read the whole thing myself, though. Too damn much.

My grandma has about 7 thick books in a hardcover set, and she's still missing like 10 which she never bothered to get. That version is currently out of print these days.

If you'd like to buy it, you can purchase the whole thing along with other text on CD-Rom from Davka. My cousin bought this:

http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?product=32

That is...if you want to spend $200. Great deal for what you get, IMO.

Anyways, if you want to learn something Jewish, I recommend Kaballah.

http://www.kabbalah.info/

EDIT::
    Flores,
    There is the written, and the oral torah. The talmud seeks to elaborate on the oral portion. Admittedly, rabbi's sometimes misinterpret things (or -- in known cases, make up their own stories

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). That's beyond the control of well-meaning scholars. Besides, we shouldn't - and I'll stress do not - take it in literally. All I can say is that you should read (and try to understand) where the talmud is coming from before taking swings at the credibility of modern Judaism.

Last edited: May 30, 2003
  14. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

You're welcome.

15. Jihad_AlifLamLamHah Registered Senior Member

Flores
    This is a bunch of gibirish

And this is relevant how ?

So who writes it down is supposed to be athority and represent the religion ? Hmmmmm , I wonder who has authority and represents Islam then

Not that I dont agree though

The word is not only to be written it is to be understood as well .
    eventually you will learn that they are inter-dependant .

Im sure that is how Talmud philosophy is to be considered , you dont even know what its about im sure yet ou already figured out how the Talmud writers motivated themselves into adding to the word of God (Torah , one you wont recognize anyways am I correct?)

You wont find belief in books , now would you ?

I say its quite a good thing it isnt relevant to such emotional understanding of things .......

Whats your idea of theology , a who-can-believe-best/most contests ?