test

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by A4Ever, May 19, 2002.

1. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

The sea that thinks

I saw a movie called "The sea that thinks".

It is about the idea that what we consider to be reality, is really just an idea, an illusion. We think of ourselves as personalities, who desire and hate specific things. But that ego,and all the other things that surround us, are not real.

You can think of it as a white sheet, on which things are constantly projected. Then it goes white again, then another thing is projected. For example, try this : don't think about a cloud. That is impossible. Instantly a cloud is projected. Now think about yourself. Now you are full of the idea you have about yourself. And the clouds? They are (were?) gone.

So the point is to find out what projects all these things that we call reality. The problem is that we can not do this from within the ego, from within ourselves, cause then we are really just forming another idea, projecting something else on the sheet.

How can we know the projector? That is what monks have been trying to do for centuries : to see through the illusion. Some claim to have succeeded. Only problem is they can't explain how, cause explaining is another projection. We will never hit rock solid "truth" that way.

I do not wish to present these thoughts as some form of truth. That's why I put the word between "" earlier. I just want to present them as they are.

Last edited: May 25, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Welcome to reality...!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes... I've been trying to say this here for a looooooong time. To stop pursuing the mind because all things are just illusion that they create. Yes... it's pretty complex...

Shut up the ego... Pursue what Christians call "Heart"...

It has lots to do with intention. You always project what you want to see or what you fear.

This book explains it well (you will see it mostly in the middle to the end):
    "The Mastery of Love"
    by Don Miguel Ruiz

Love,
    Nelson

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

This is exactly the thing i hate about philosophy the whole idea that you have to assume everything is an illusion. Why should I assume its all an illusion? Does it serve any purpose to belive that everthig is just a hallucinaton? Does anybody actually believe that nothing exists an its just a projection of the mind? If you do just go and lie down in the middle of a busy highway. Don't worry the cars wont hurt you they don't exist. If anything dies its just your illusionary exterior you'd probaly be happier without it anywya. So anyone wanna take me up on that offer?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

You don't have to believe that reality is an illusion. Why should you have to do that? IF reality is an illusion (and I specificly said that I didn't want to present the idea as the truth), then there probably is a purpose in the projection, and I do believe that.

But thinking about reality as a illusion can help you to see things in another perspective. It can make you feel more centered, and less egocentric. Once you realise that all your desires, all the things you want are just ideas of the mind, you can start to focus on what is really important, and that is Love.

Someone who sees through the Maya, is capable of giving true love. You see, there are only two basic emotions: love and fear. The second one is really just the negative of the first. All things that are not love can be derived from fear. That fear is the fear of not being loved. All the material things we want, all our desires, are there to fill the need for love.

So once you see through the 'negative love' or fear, you are capable of receiving love, and more importantly, capable of giving it. It is possible to reach the highest good in that way, and that is the unconditional love.

To answer your rather unloving remarks: Maya is very very strong. That is because it is made to be that way. Our task is to find and give true love within a system that seems to be not made of this pure love. I believe that is the whole point.

So when you go and lie in front of a truck, the idea of your body will be eliminated. You'll have to start over with another body or stay pure energy, pure love.

Will I be happier when dead? Maybe. I can't remember. But I do know that I wanted to be here for some reason, inside this illusion, and I want to live every second of it.

8. Hoth Registered Senior Member

It's not that things are illusion, it's that you don't perceive things as they actually are. Of course you can't... it'd be really confusing if you had to be everything you were sensing... instead you only get interpretations of patterns projected into the images you get in your mind. What it's like to be something is different from what it's like to be another thing perceiving that first thing.

The reality of the self is the only reality for which we know what it actually is. With everything else we get patterns representing it projected within the self. All colors, all sensations, all space that we find in perception is our mind's way of representing things rather than the things themselves. However, our perception of things does have basic patterns in common with the reality of the things... if nothing else, neuroscience can illustrate this by matching up patterns of perceived brains with patterns of experienced minds.

As for how any of this has anything to do with love, I haven't a clue...

9. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I agree with you, in the way that this is the scientific part of what I believe. Our minds pick up certain frequencies and form an image of reality with that. This is what I mean with illusion. So this part only comes down to what you want to call it.

I would like some more explanation about the matching up of patterns between different brains. That sounds interesting.

The part about love is really metaphysical. I can not prove that. The energy, the frequencies that we pick up, are all made up of the same source. This universal energy to me is love. It's like mysticism, the feeling of wholeness and so on. This opinion has been around for ages.

Matter could be this energy slowed down to a lower vibration rate. Once again, I can not prove this, but I think science doesn't overthrow this idea anymore, and that scientists are looking into this for the moment.

The main point is that this matter is not the final 'reality', although it is very real to us. Very real. Very real. I don't say that we can ever walk through a brick wall. Matter is here, and real.

But in essence, it is Maya, since the underlying force is this universal energy (I shall not call it love again

).

Now, Maya has a negative connotation. But to me the illusion of matter (or: this reality) is very precious and has a lot of meaning. It is the place to experience.

The original post at the top was not as much about the structure of reality, as it was about how our mind works in deceiving us by telling us that we need material things and so on.

If I was a filosopher, I could probably explain this in a clearer way. I hope some of what I try to say is coming across.

The movie mentioned in the first post has it's own website : www.dezeediedenkt.nl. It also has an English version up there, if you click the right button at the start that is!

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

A4ever,

An awakened one!

Finally...! I'm almost crazy in those forums...!

Yep. That's why I usually stress the importance of self-awareness and self-Love...

There are hundreds of illusions that cover our lifes. When we realize that those things are lies and are covering the Truth, we become aware of all the illusion, uncover the lies, and what we found beneath the lies is ourselves... Love.

Love,
    Nelson

11. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Let me really freestyle here for a moment:

The underlying universal energy for all and everything is Love. Love is what we could call God. God wanted to experience, and thus had to create something in which to experience. He slowed part of Himself (or Herself!) down until matter was formed. With matter came time and distance.

Now I ask you: then who are we? We are parts of this Loving Energy, who were given an ego, an illusion of separation, with the mission to experience.

But we are not really separated from the Universal Energy, cause we ARE that energy.

All is One!!

That must be one of the most exciting thoughts ever!

A brain teaser: if time and matter only came in existence when reality was created, then the highest reality is, from our point of view, Nothing...

That's what the Budhists experience in their Nirwana. That is why we don't come across Heaven when flying to the moon.

May I quote one of my favorite bands to finish:

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment, We are choosing to be here right now. [...] Spinning, weaving round each new experience. Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing. This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion. -Tool.

Thank you for your attention.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

A4Ever,

Let me complement that. "He" must be neutral because "He" is the source of everything. The opposites are One on "Him". To call God He or She is to talk about God superficially. The opposites are mere illusion. As you said, we are all One. Not good or bad, not white or black, not men or women... we simply ARE.

You should write more often! It has been a hard work for me on those forums...

I'll have to stop posting on July and August... You should post more often on those months...

Happy to have someone aware around here!
    Try my threads...

:

Love,
    Nelson

Last edited: Jun 1, 2002
  13. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Nelson,

I knew I was using earthly categories to describe something that goes behond earthly. So thanks!