The conference hall debate!

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by theorist-constant12345, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

How do you know this?
    To say this another way, "the light that you observe is invisible" - is that correct?
    That word - "opacity" - I don't think it means what you think it means. Could you define opacity please?
    Does any light have a spectral magnitude that is not zero?
    If the things we see are not "in space", where are they?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Do you suppose snakes use infrared vision to see in the night?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

What does that mean Sir?
    I have always thought that light was just a particular wavelength of the EMS.
    And Sir, why is it that what I see as the absence of the visible part of the EMS in a dark place, can show up in other parts of the EMS such as infrared or microwave?
    Are you saying Sir that the whole world is wrong, through out many centuries, and you have finally come along, revealing the true reality to humanity Sir?
    So you are a genuis Sir?
    Don't you think that it may possibly just be that you are highly delusional, as I asked before?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I think I have failed this lesson in how to be illogical, stupid and delusional.
    I'm expelling myself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Correct.
    But you didn't state "in the sight department".
    What you wrote was "dark is the absence of neural activity" (as I quoted).

And science is right.

Nope.
    I'm using (as previously noted) YOUR definitions and showing that even using those you are wrong.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying "dark is the absence of EMR in the visible frequencies", or even "dark is the absence of light".

Uh, yes it is.

What?
    In English please.

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Come on, you just haven't tried hard enough - give it some time. I'm trying the long enough rope to hang one's self approach. OTH, the duck is still trying to be logical, sensible and all scientific like - I have a strong feeling that won't work at all...

10. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

Yes without brains it would always be light
    ''How do you know this?''

By use of devices in the dark, I and you would agree that it was dark and we could not see, but we would also agree that other species still can see, and the devices can see, so therefore we must agree it must be still light even when we can not see.

''To say this another way, "the light that you observe is invisible" - is that correct?''

Unless interacting with matter or medium. Like a laser in a vacuum hitting a left over dust particle, we would not see the beam it is invisible to us , but when the particle interacts with the beam we see the particle in the light, lit up by process.

''That word - "opacity" - I don't think it means what you think it means. Could you define opacity please?''

I mean clear, see through , invisible.

''Does any light have a spectral magnitude that is not zero?''

Yes , any light that is in interaction with matter or a medium , the spectral values .

''If the things we see are not "in space", where are they?''

Empty space not occupied space.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Randwolf: So other species can always see outside because it is always light even during a dark night, right?
    You: Some species yes.
    Randwolf: Which species, exactly?
    You: Snakes I presume have good night vision, owls , that all use the ambient light we can not see to see.

So you make a specific claim (TWO, actually) and your "reply" is "I presume" for snakes and a (false) claim about owls?
    Owls cannot see if there is no light.

12. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

We are talking about sight and light and you could not work out referring to neural activity was based on the sight mechanism and meant nothing else?

13. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

I do not have to know all the species that do what ever to know that some species see in the dark compared to what we call dark by infra red means etc,

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

But but Sir, if light interacts with anything, that would logically [oops sorry] mean it must be real?

Sir, we have a problem. My dictionary says that opacity means....
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opacity
    "the quality of a material that does not allow light to pass through it : the quality of being opaque"
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opacity

Why is my dictionary wrong Sir?
    Before you answer that Sir, I would kindly suggest you check out the meaning of "tongue in cheek" Sir.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

If you can't say EXACTLY what you mean (on the few occasions when you do know what you mean) how are we supposed to tell what you're saying the rest of the time?
    Half of your statements are near-impenetrable gibberish - if you're not specific then how do we know what you're saying?

You made SPECIFIC claims.
    And when asked to support those claims your reply was a supposition and an error.
    In other words you don't know what you're talking about.

16. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

OK, so would that be an axiom? Have we established clearly that you can only observe invisible light?
    That's interesting. Any reason why you have assigned the exact opposite definition to opacity from all the English dictionaries?
    So all light has a nonzero spectral value when it is in a medium or when it strikes matter, is that correct?
    So the things we see are in empty space only? Why can't we see things that actually occupy space? Can you give me an example of a "thing" (by "thing" I mean an object made of physical matter) that does not occupy space?

What type of device will tell me if another species can see?

17. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

Yes of cause you do not understand, strange how others do,

18. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I think you forgot to answer this one TC.

19. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Maybe not, but it would seem that you would have to know of some species that see in the dark "to know that some species see in the dark", wouldn't you? Do you know any species that can see in the dark? Cause owls ain't one...

20. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

''OK, so would that be an axiom? Have we established clearly that you can only observe invisible light?''

It is an axiom that you can not observe light in an empty space, you can not observe it because it is invisible.

''So all light has a nonzero spectral value when it is in a medium or when it strikes matter, is that correct?''

NOT CORRECT, the other way around, light has a spectral value of zero when not in an interference stage.

''So the things we see are in empty space only? Why can't we see things that actually occupy space? Can you give me an example of a "thing" (by "thing" I mean an object made of physical matter) that does not occupy space?''

I think you misunderstand . We do not see anything in empty space that is still empty, we only see things that occupy space.

21. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that snakes use infra red to see at night.

22. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

''But a growing number of species are proving us all wrong. From nocturnal geckoes to moths, lemurs and bats, animals of all shapes and sizes are turning out to have colour vision even in near-total darkness. Some researchers now think that colour vision at night might be quite common.''

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141128-these-animals-see-colour-at-night

23. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

If you must know why this process for animals is possible it is something to do with energy signature of Em radiation that is different to the zero constant(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.