The Death Poll

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by invert_nexus, Mar 25, 2007.

?

Was this a death threat?

1. Yes.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No.

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman Banned Banned

Awww, you guys are too sweet!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

eat a dick.
    ha!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Read more like sort of a gendanken lite post.
    IIRC, she went on about "ending miserable existences" all the time.

For whatever it's worth, though, I'm solidly in the "whatever" camp on the banning of what's his name.

Who needs another "Yeah, I looked around here, but blah-blah-blah, the place is so full of stoopids that I blah-blah-blah, and if only blah-blah-blah, then I would blah-blah-blah..."

Of course, I could very well be just another insensate retard wasting the dwindling air of the Motherworld with my crass and inept garglings - and indeed deserve to have my own "miserable existence" ended by some perceptive and insightful executioner who sees beyond my "ga-ga, goo-goo" level or reasoning that putting me out of their (I mean MY) misery is well and truly best for all.

Who can say ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

This is creepy... weirdest poll ever even beyond mine.

8. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No.

Plus, by the criteria used to ban this person, you should be as well, as you said you were likely to commit suicide - ie - a "death threat".

" Mod Squad " !!!

Attend !!!

Remove this rapscallion at once !!!

9. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I'll bet you say that to alllll the 'joys...

:mufc:

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Doesnt matter whether its technically...legalistically a death threat or not.

The implied meaning is enough to qualify for a permanent ban.

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So how's your poll going nexus?

What's the jury say?

Will you admit that you're wrong, or just lock the thread after you get enough votes?

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Disguising things that'll get you in trouble is such an old trick. People like to try to push the envelope as much as they can get away with, and when someone gets on them for it, they go "But I only blah blah! Is that a crime? Fucking Nazi!" It's just like when people say "That's not a thread, it's a promise". It's a fucking threatening promise, you idiot. Don't try to cover your ass.

Well, it seemed to me to be a very tactless, bumbled joke. Call it a Kerry-esque joke, I suppose. It certainly wasn't on the same level as when that one guy said he'd slit your throat. At the same time, though, this sort of stuff shouldn't be taken lightly.

I would've given Read-Only a warning that he'd be permabanned if he did it again.

I don't think he can lock the thread, even if it's his. Since it's in Free Thoughts, only Absane, vslayer, I, and the supermods and admins have the ability to do that.

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't know. I hope I am not alone in seeing that invert_nexus is kind of an ass.

15. Roman Banned Banned

So are you, though.
    We still put up with him, though.
    Hell, he even convinced us to crown him mod.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

This poll isn't about me being right or wrong. I just wanted to get an idea of the general consensus. I will maintain my opinion despite the final outcome whether it should agree or disagree.

As to locking the thread, what would be the point? Also, I can't lock anything here.

As to being an ass, yes, I am. So? As Roman says, so are you. And, let's not forget some other assholes on the forum. At least I don't make it my life's mission to follow people around and harass them. Nor do you, for that matter, you've only recently gone on this crusade against woo wooism. But, you are starting down that road. Beware lest you end up a bitter old troll like a certain someone we all know and ridicule.

It's pretty much split so far. Still somewhat early though. It's not even been 24 hours yet. Not that the outcome really matters that much. It certainly won't change anything. Read Only will still have his 3 day ban. Q will still be a cocksucker. I'll still be an asshole. And you? What will you be?

Anyway. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that the outcome is so close, actually. I made a mistake in setting up the premise. See. I never actually meant that it was a technically legal death threat. It was coached in terms of a hypothetical and thus rendered 'safe'. But, as has been said, that's just a trick and the meaning was there for all to see. If I'd spent a bit more time setting up the opening question to avoid the precise meaning of death threat and settling more on the issue of whether or not a threat was implied (regardless of whether or not it was believable that it would be carried out, that's besides the point) then perhaps the poll would not be so split.

But, it's hard to say, really. We are a brutal crowd here. Blood sport is a common fare.
    Perhaps Read Only's true crime wasn't a 'death threat', but rather a certain crudity in the manner in which he went about it. He might have been able to put sentences together, but he certainly did not do so with style. In fact, he was quite clumsy with his innuendo.

Put up with me, hell. You love me.
    I am adored by the masses.
    They lick my toes.
    I be a god here.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  17. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Can we just agree that we're all assholes - or at least that we all have them - and leave it at that?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

<insert irrelevant flame>

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

no, it isn't. not in a serious sense anyway.

i'm going to slash your throat for even saying such a thing invert.

is what i just said a death threat? no.

reasoning:
    to be a bonefide threat i must have motive and means and intent.
    posting a poll is hardly motive, i have no clue as to what you look like, where you live, or anything else that is particular about you. the means doesn't exist therefor the intent is nonexistent.

now to readonly.
    the same criteria applies.

should he be banned for his comment? yes. for the simple reason of precedent. as you know some debates can get really heated, we cannot allow death threats just because someone gets their paties in a bunch.

i think a perma-ban was over the top. i already sent readonly a very nasty PM before he was banned for his comment.

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

stfu. troll.

no, not you. her.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

gabyhym.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

let me guess, indian for "eat shit and die" right?

23. draqon Banned Banned

let there be eternal peace within your hearts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.