The Fluorine Thread

Michael 345

New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl
Valued Senior Member
But the mystery of how fluorine was created within these stars has persisted.

fluorine
chemical element
Alternate titles: F
Fluorine-F-Its-square-fluorine-symbol-properties.jpg

fluorine (F), most reactive chemical element and the lightest member of the halogen elements, or Group 17 (Group VIIa) of the periodic table. Its chemical activity can be attributed to its extreme ability to attract electrons (it is the most electronegative element) and to the small size of its atoms.
https://www.britannica.com/science/fluorine

Chemical properties of fluorine - Health effects of fluorine - Environmental effects of fluorine
Where does fluorine come from?

Fluorine occurs naturally in the earth's crust where it can be found in rocks, coal and clay. Fluorides are released into the air in wind-blown soil.
Fluorine is the 13th most abundant element in the Earth's crust: 950 ppm are contained in it. Soils contain approximately 330 ppm of fluorine, ranging from 150 to 400 ppm. Some soils can have as much as 1000 ppm and contaminated soils have been found with 3500 ppm.
Hydrogen fluorides can be released into the air through combustion processes in the industry. Fluorides that are found in the air will eventually drop onto land or into water. When fluorine is attached to very small particles it can remain in the air for a long period of time.
In the atmosphere, 0.6 ppb of fluorine are present as salt spray and organochloride compounds. Up to 50 ppb has been recorded in city environments.....more
https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/f.htm

Perhaps it can only be found in compounds due to its extreme ability to attract
electrons (it is the most electronegative element). It just does not naturally exist in pure form.

Last edited:
fluorine
chemical element
Alternate titles: F
Fluorine-F-Its-square-fluorine-symbol-properties.jpg

https://www.britannica.com/science/fluorine

Chemical properties of fluorine - Health effects of fluorine - Environmental effects of fluorine
Where does fluorine come from?

Fluorine occurs naturally in the earth's crust where it can be found in rocks, coal and clay. Fluorides are released into the air in wind-blown soil.
https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/f.htm

Perhaps it can only be found in compounds due to its extreme ability to attract
electrons (it is the most electronegative element). It just does not naturally exist in pure form.
Off-topic posting again, I see.

Any fool can look up the properties of fluorine on the web. None of this has any relevance to the question being asked, which is about nucleosynthesis of F in stars and hence its cosmic abundance.

Extract
The elements found across our solar system, on Earth, and even in our own bodies originated inside the cores of stars, which released them in stellar explosions.
But the mystery of how fluorine was created within these stars has persisted.
Write4U said: fluorine, chemical element
etc. etc.
Off-topic posting again, I see.

Any fool can look up the properties of fluorine on the web. None of this has any relevance to the question being asked, which is about nucleosynthesis of F in stars and hence its cosmic abundance.

I did not introduce it. I merely posted what is known about fluorine.

I followed it up with a speculative proposition that it may be very difficult to trace its origin in pure form due to its volatility and affinity to bond with just about every other atom in existence.

After all these years you still do not grasp the purpose of a public forum, where information is shared not just with knowledgeable posters but with any and all non-posting readers, who might be curious why fluorine is so hard to trace.

Except for your insufferable derision, you seldom contribute ANYTHING of value. At least I try to share and provide positive input of what I learn myself for the first time.

But you just have to flount your superior position, don't you?

I did not introduce it. I merely posted what is known about fluorine.

I followed it up with a speculative proposition that it may be very difficult to trace its origin in pure form due to its volatility and affinity to bond with just about every other atom in existence.

After all these years you still do not grasp the purpose of a public forum, where information is shared not just with knowledgeable posters but with any and all non-posting readers, who might be curious why fluorine is so hard to trace.

Except for your insufferable derision, you seldom contribute ANYTHING of value. At least I try to share and provide positive input of what I learn myself for the first time.

But you just have to flount your superior position, don't you?
Flaunt.

Nothing to do with superiority, save that, unlike you, I have some idea of what the point of a discussion is and thus what may be relevant to it. The chemistry of fluorine is nothing to do with its cosmic abundance.

As to Fluorine.

Fluoride also plays a role in the mineralization of your bones and teeth, a process essential for keeping them hard and strong. In fact, about 99% of the body's fluoride is stored in bones and teeth ( 1 ). Fluoride is also important for preventing dental caries (cavities).
Are Teeth Considered Bones?
Teeth and bones look similar and share some commonalities, including being the hardest substances in your body. But teeth aren’t actually bone.
Fluoride also plays a role in the mineralization of your bones and teeth, a process essential for keeping them hard and strong. In fact, about 99% of the body’s fluoride is stored in bones and teeth (1Trusted Source).
Fluoride is also important for preventing dental caries (cavities). This is why it’s a common ingredient in dental care products and is added to the water supply in many countries,
SUMMARY
Fluoride is the ionized form of the element fluorine. It’s widely distributed in nature and supports the mineralization of bones and teeth. Fluoride may also help prevent cavities.
When the replacement of minerals, called remineralization, doesn’t keep up with minerals lost, cavities develop.
Fluoride may help prevent cavities by decreasing demineralization, enhancing remineralization, and inhibiting bacterial growth and bacterial acid production in the mouth.
Fluoride may also help prevent bone fractures since it’s also associated with enhanced bone remineralization. However, more research is needed on this subject,
SUMMARY
Fluoride may fight cavities by improving the balance between mineral gain and loss from the tooth enamel. It may also inhibit the activity of harmful oral bacteria.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fluoride-good-or-bad#what-is-it

Seems to me that fluorine (fluoride) is very important in the abilitie to chew and digest a variety of foods without having to deal with decay that shortens life spans.

This is one of the facts posited by Robert Hazen, and Louis Allamandola from NASA studies these clouds and has found several biochemical compounds in these dynamic objects.
N-245 Astrochemisty Laboratory: Luminescence System, Absorption Configuration Hydrogen Lamp, Ozone Line and Infrafed Spectrometer. (alamandola) ARC-1994-
upload_2021-11-9_8-2-56.png
https://picryl.com/media/arc-1994-ac94-0346-3-c2251e

I think they just run out of articles to write sometimes and try to make everything sound like a great break through.

The earliest stars were mainly hydrogen since that's all that initially existed (along with some helium and trace amounts of lithium). The early stars were large and short-lived. The fluorine seems to be bound with hydrogen and it says that it was assumed that it came from these early stars in one part of the article.

In another part "it was totally unexpected".

I don't think we have learned much here have we?

Yazata said:
That human evolution was far more complicated than current textbooks make it seem. And none of has very much to do with fluorine.
I did read that flourine (in some form)is an fairly important chemical in bone formation. If my assumption that a chromosomal fusion was causal to increased brain size, fluorine (in some form) might have been instrumental in bone growth and may well have been part of the evolutionary process of increased skull size to accommodate that gradually growing brain.

Apart from that, fluorine based products like chlorofluorocarbons and hydrochlorofluorocarbons are an extremely important threat to the presence of UV defensive ozone layer in the atmosphere. This was demonstrated in the destruction of the Ozone hole at the poles. My guess is that even as this chemical does not exist in free form it is a very important part of atmospheric conditions. Moreover due to its ability to combine with almost everything fluorine is already present in biochemical compounds in deep space Nebulae.

Astronomers make most distant detection yet of fluorine in star-forming galaxy. 4 November, 2021
A new discovery is shedding light on how fluorine — an element found in our bones and teeth as fluoride — is forged in the Universe. Using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), a team of astronomers have detected this element in a galaxy that is so far away its light has taken over 12 billion years to reach us. This is the first time fluorine has been spotted in such a distant star-forming galaxy.
We all know about fluorine because the toothpaste we use every day contains it in the form of fluoride,” says Maximilien Franco from the University of Hertfordshire in the UK, who led the new study, published today in Nature Astronomy.
Like most elements around us, fluorine is created inside stars but, until now, we did not know exactly how this element was produced. “We did not even know which type of stars produced the majority of fluorine in the Universe!
Astronomers make most distant detection yet of fluorine in star-forming galaxy | ALMA (almaobservatory.org)

Back