The Last Message of U. G. Krishnamurti

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by spidergoat, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Again, how would he know these paths are worthless...being too lazy to tread them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

What he brings to my attention is that he spent a lot of time in his youth hanging out with the theosophical society...not exactly a worthwhile engagement of any path.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No Carcano that is part of his bio not what he has to say. He spent some time in the theosophical society and then left it so what. I spent time at Sivananda it doesn't make me a yogi. Look at the excerpts and tell me what you think of what he had to say. I can tell you didn't really read it or you would have understood he wasn't touting a 'path'. You don't want to respond to what he says but I understand. You would rather put your hands over your eyes and ears and speak nonsense.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not a contest. If you don't like him, read something else. I like him, and he still influences me to read something else. You only have to read one paragraph and it makes you put the book down. I've never read anything so powerful. The secret is that true human happiness resides in the peace of not seeking permanent happiness.

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Nihilism is not just that nothing has inherant meaning. It is that nothing has inherant meaning therefore no action is preferable to any other, which is patently false.

Preference is not reliant on inherant meaning.

Buddhism for example also holds that nothing has inherant meaning but it comes to the opposite conclusion from nihilism. Certain actions are definately preferable to others (moral and compassionate actions for example).

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

So? What's wrong with that?

You fail to understand grasshopper.

There is no ruler.

No, but you sure wish he was, don't you?

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

The two are not mutually exclusive you know.

Looks happy enough.

Its not a compitition you know.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That all doesn't matter. No one is pushing any philosophy of life or the universe here. Such talk is merely academic.

God is the ultimate pleasure, uninterrupted happiness. No such thing exists. Your wanting something that does not exist is the root of your problem. Transformation, moksha, liberation, and all that stuff are just variations on the same theme: permanent happiness. The body cannot take that. The pleasure of sex, for instance, is by nature temporary. The body can't take uninterrupted pleasure for long, it would be destroyed. Wanting to impose a fictitious, permanent state of happiness on the body is a serious neurological problem. ​

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Its the OP Spider. They are making observations on U.G's work based on that and little else. It's like basing all of Nietzsche's life work on an aphorism. There isn't a proper context to size up U.G.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is the impulse to try and fit it into some philosophical framework.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well I wouldn't say U.G was without philosophical significance, he rests in an eastern religious context. He was raised within the context of hindu philosophy and religion and it is this he was reacting to. The westerners he dealt with went to him because they were practicing vedanta so I think all of what he says falls into the context of Hinduism and Hindu philosophy. I never for one moment gleaned U.G to be a nihilist; I don't even recall him saying 'there is no god' (he also doesn't say that there is)

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

If you keep it at that, then you are probably a fan of mysticism ...
    :shrug:

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The natural world seems to have no end of mysteries.

17. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

Bullshit. "Human Happiness" is your concern. It isn't the concern of humanity itself, nor any divine whatsit in the clouds.

Philosophy is the pursuit of "truth". Too bad so many want to make it the pursuit of their own. In the end, "truth" has nothing to do with you feel comfortable with.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Do say more about why you think this isn't so.

How does it not?

Would you say that truth and happiness are mutually exclusive?

19. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

Oh, for fucks sake.
    I'm supposed to disprove your belief system rather then you giving evidence for it.
    Fucking typical crap.

If you can't handle answers to your questions which don't fit with your worldview, that's your problem. Not mine.

Not at all. If you want to hide behind your straw men, go ahead. No concern of mine.

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I didnt say philosophy is whatever you feel comfortable with...I said its about 'true happiness'.

That is...happiness based on truth.

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Oh dear. One sunshine of interest in discussion you are. :bugeye: