The link between science and non-theism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Voodoo Child, May 8, 2002.

?

Atheist or theist

1. Atheist

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Theist

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Something I have noticed about sciforums is that it is frequented by a high number of Atheists, humanists, and Atheisty-agnosty non-spiritual types relative to other websites. Far more so than any other forum I visit, excepting infidels.org.

I was wondering whether there is a link between this being a sciency forum and the spirtuality/religion(or lack of) of the members. Is this a reflection of the link between being involved in the sciences and being atheistic? Perhaps atheists are attracted to the sciences or perhaps learning science turns you atheistic. Whatever the reason, I'd like to hear whether you think this observation is real or just a product of a malfunctioning part of my brain.

A note about the poll:

Theist should really include any non-theistic religious type, eg. Buddhist(if that could be called a religion)

Yes, this probably should be in religion, bugger it.

Last edited: May 8, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah, this place definetely as a majority of Atheists. Actualy, discussion on this site I was prompted to read the book that real made me see the reality of Atheism. I think the thing is that in a science evironment people want to ask questions on important issues, and search out answers. Also sciencey kinda evironments feeds of logical thought process and rationality, and simply put: Atheism is the completely logical choice while theism has no backing for its claims.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Your poll omits agnostics, so I can't answer it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Honestly, JR? and other notes

Honestly, JR?

Just call yourself an atheist. I've noticed that some agnostics at this site don't want to be thought of as agnostic, so they call themselves atheists.

As to the topic:

Of course there's an atheistic majority. This is, after all, Sciforums. And its prior incarnation was Exosci. Porfiry can cough up the history if he really wants to, but as I recall when he made the transition to Exosci from AUFORA and whatever else he was working on, he wanted a site to explore the "cutting edge" of science, which allowed a lot of room for interesting speculation. There is, of course, science involved with religion: archaeology, for instance. And our creationist posters have, with silly topics, kept a steady influx of scientifically-based refutation coming into the forum from more rational posters. But that's not how the posters took the Religion forum. It's always been a place where people clash over fundmental values. And I can definitely say the last 18 months of this site have been an adjustment.

Look up Boris' old posts. Those are fun.

But I think in terms of the atheists, and here I'll put myself out on a limb, part of it is that atheists do acknowledge the larger questions of the Universe, and because they have no God as a surrogate for an answer, well, science is really the only way they have of addressing such issues. Philosophy is helpful, but there is a certain extent to which philosophy mirrors religion. And at some point, applying philosophy to incomplete science becomes slightly religious.

But yes--science seems to be the primary definition of reality in such grand terms for the atheist.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The question for atheists would be: is your mind really your friend...?

A Buddhist would say no. A Taoist would say no. A Christian would say no. Would atheists say yes...?

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Nah....
    I hate the thing that keeps me alive.

damn brain.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I'm talking about rational and logical thinking...

Last edited: May 10, 2002
  11. Tyler Registered Senior Member

No kidding? Golly-gee. Well I like the rational side 'cause it enables me to learn about things like sarcasm.

12. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I don;t want to repeat myself again, look at the christianity affecting technology thread. That is why they hate logic. and Tyler is right.

13. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Only if it can demonstrate to itself that it is capable of overcoming it's own elementary confusions.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

tiassa,

Since the word "agnostic" exists, I prefer to use it. For me (and this may not be true for everybody) an atheist is someone who thinks that gods do not exist. I reserve judgment on that question. I do not believe that there is no God, but neither do I believe that God exists. I consider that I do not have the requisite confidence to call myself an atheist. Therefore, I'll stick with the "agnostic" label.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's one of the reasons I don't like it...

Cactus,

Why do we hate technology according to this other thread...?

Love,
    Nelson

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Actually, strict Buddhists are athiests, in the general sense of the word. And Buddhism is not a unified whole...however....it does have a healthy respect for the truth and for logic and reason.

Cute little religion there.

But yeah, most athiests would say yes. I say yes.

Tiassa: There is a direct link between athiesm and skepticism. Since most scientists are skeptics......

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I know you say yes...
    But it doesn't seems that Buddhists do...

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

The Buddhist quest for nothingness and Nirvana is not the abandonment of reason - it is the abandonment of everything. Love included.

If reason is to be rejected, so is emotion - at least, at the end of the journey.

19. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I prefer to think of Buddhism as "a philosophy" rather than a religion, I repfer the term. Since it is merely a man's thoughts on how we can live to make the world a better place. With a bit of mysticism thrown in, for what I personally think was an analogy for demonstrating points.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Which man would that be?

Which man would that be?

There is no buddha.

thanx,
    Tiassa

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

JR

I won't argue with that integrity of perception. Largely, I was being sarcastic, but not toward you. Right now I'm having a little fun poking back into atheism. Hell, some might bash for bashing's sake, but I think it's fair enough to work with what is actually on the table in front of us.

So I admit, I agree with your assessment on atheism/agnosticism. I'm just exploiting you for a secondary point that has little to do with you directly. For that I both apologize, and thank you for the opportunity.

thanx much,
    Tiassa

22. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Not technology, scientific discoverys that challenged you "faith" with reason and proved what the church (who had power at the time) said to be false. I meant more that you should look at the quote.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Actually, the newest scientific discoveries are pretty much proving that faith works...