The man who toppled the Tunisian government

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Jan 15, 2011.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vU_2XRG2Vc&feature=related

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkhXO4VVhUM

Change you can believe in?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Still digging

I ... believe ... congratulations are in order. I'm still catching up on the facts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah its the biggest piece of Not News from the Middle East [technically North Africa but dem all be Ayrubs]

You can catch up with the whole schtick here:

http://pulsemedia.org/2011/01/15/this-is-what-victory-looks-like/

Power to the people and what not?

Just goes to show that authoritarianism is only as strong as the will of the people. I wonder what the Egyptians and Saudis are thinking

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If the Saudis try to topple their tyrannical government, the US will have to "help"
    Then the whole area will be at war.

Re departure of President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, to Saudi oddly enough.
    Same place as the evil tyrant Idi Amin holed up in.
    I've never known left and right to be in such accordance.
    He was a bad bastard, and his exit is good news.

8. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Its an amazing story.

9. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The times are a changin'

10. superstring01 Moderator

Where's that one dude who's always bugging us about Tunisia?

~String

11. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Tunisian revolution! I'm impressed. But it's always what I thought, a country can only be really changed from within, as in, the people themselves need to express their will through, well, a..revolution. And the Tunisian folk shows us that they want change.

In a footage, one of the Tunisian protesters, said, "This is the Tunisian revolution! We need as much help as possible to make it come true.." or something along those lines. I think those people are very courageous since they know that they could end up paying for it with their life.

My deepest respect to them, particularly to those who were unlucky and lost their life.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

@Sstring
    He was on the plane I think.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And now the show will go on, lets see what he can do to "fix" all of those problems that others brought on. I'll bet he will do the same thing the old President was going to do before he was kicked out. Your only as good as those you pay off to help you, when they can't be taken care of your done.

14. superstring01 Moderator

What plane?

~String

15. keith1 Guest

The world will be at peace when the Saudi people kick out the oil riff-raff, like Cheney, Bush, and the other Royal thieves who have homes in Riyadh.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The plane out of Tunisia.
    He wouldn't have a word said against the place.
    Tunisia was heaven on earth.

17. keith1 Guest

He left, because I told him nothing could be done until they toppled their corrupt government. Now that is complete, it is time to make Tunisia a vacation destination. Hit it big. Tourist revolution! Tora! Tora! Tourist!

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, and when the Americans kick out their warmongering Bushes and Obamas, and the British kick out their warmongering Blairs and (probably) Camerons.

One step at a time.
    I hope it ends well, without some new exploiter gaining power.

19. keith1 Guest

You're only as good as your friends. You're not that good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  20. keith1 Guest

There are no steps, only ramps....Keep your mits off my tourist revolution, Cappytan!
    Grab your flowered tee-shirt, sandles, tanning lotion, credit card, and move out, soldier!
    That is an order.
    (If there's no room at the inn, find the stable. If the stable is full, rent a tent...magic carpet ride...midnight at the oasis, baby!).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  21. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

This is a no brainer event..... Chebbi described Ghannouchi’s seizure of power as “regime change”, exactly no change here. Ghannouchi, prime minister since 1999, is a close ally of Ben Ali, the guy who left. The Tunisian SHEEPLE call him 'Mr. Oui Oui' because he's always saying yes to Ben Ali. France, was quick to recognise this “constitutional transition”. Ghannouchi’s bid for power and the army’s move on Tunis can only be interpreted as a bid to protect the interests of the ruling elite based in Europe. The Family in Saudi Arabia are safe, there will be no Arab revolution, the Arab and Moslem world belongs to the West, this proves it.

22. keith1 Guest

...Legal experts, however, argue that in the current situation, the head of parliament is the only legitimate person granted the right, as stipulated in article 57 of the Tunisian constitution, to form a legitimate [caretaker] government, for about 45 days to be followed by presidential election.

Article 57

Article 57 states that when the post of the President of the Republic falls vacant due to his demise, resignation or total incapacitation, the Constitutional Council shall forthwith convene and declare the definitive vacancy under the absolute majority of its members, which matter shall be expressly made known to the Chairman of Advisers Council and Speaker of the Parliament, where the latter (Speaker) shall immediately undertake the presidential duties on temporary basis for not less than forty five (45) days; and not more than sixty (60) days....

http://www.webcitation.org/5vk6hpRok
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/01/2011114204942484776.html

Ghannouchi best not miss his plane, or he may have to walk out.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Quote from BBC site:

Tunisia has had three presidents in the past 48 hours.

A legitimate one: Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali, re-elected in 2009 with 89.4% of the vote; an illegitimate one: Mohammed Ghannouchi, who took on the job on Friday even though the decision to do so contravened the Tunisian constitution; and now an interim one: Foued Mebazza, who as Speaker of the Tunisian parliament should have been given the job as soon as Mr Ben Ali was removed from office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12200493

Added later.
    Sorry. Didn't make it plain this was a quote.
    Yes the word legitimate is questionable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011