The role of Observers

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by arfa brane, Apr 30, 2013.

1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Observers are able to distinguish time and space (from each other). But even today we don't seem to be able to explain what they really are.

About the only thing that seems to be a consistent property of space and time is that they're both insubstantial, we can't "take them with us". But we assume they are both physical. What happens when we (try to) assume one or the other isn't "real", Do we need to define more closely what we mean by "something real"?

Is there no reason for either time or space to "exist" other than our need for them, in order to explain our status as observers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

You could say that space and time is the stage on which the universe unfolds. We can't conceptualise a universe without space and time, so both your questions are open.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fednis48 Registered Senior Member

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. At least if general relativity is to be believed, mass-energy makes up all the stuff in the universe, while spacetime gives that stuff a place to be.
    arfa brane: You're right that for questions like this, we need a more precise definition of "real" that we usually use. Asking whether spacetime is real is a bit like asking whether north is real, or whether math is real. But if you define real as opposed to imaginary, I'm pretty confident that spacetime is real, because it plays a crucial role in the laws governing the universe that goes well beyond our own perception of it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

There is already a problem with even the word 'observer', since 'observe' cannot make sense without that both space and time are real.

8. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Remember something real is only something that majority agree on.

Like i said elsewhere i think something like 80% of our reality we agree on, the rest is down to the observer, with there lens of hate that we all have. Whos lens of hate is better or more true than others, is open to question.

Everyone thinks they are right, but i would suggest only a small minority of all humans can really analytically think, and that includes most people in science too, most of them cannot think either other than being repeaters.

I found in my life of 38 years, that sometimes even the biggest tramp on the street could have found out something more than 90% of the rest of the human race.

So judging the book by its cover like the science establishment is wrong, as most of them cannot analytically think either.

One thing that makes me smile, is that science will have to work out christmas day to work out the universe, lol, like they ever will.

9. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

I can't say that you're wrong, just that you haven't elaborated on these points.

What do you mean by "work out christmas day"?

That seems to make very little sense.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No.

Christmas day? What's so special about Christmas day? What about Easter?

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

If you try to understand Andy instead of degrading him you might actually see where he's coming from.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I tried and am now asking for clarification.

13. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

How so? I'm still waiting for his elaboration.

14. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Just sayin'

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Then I take it that you do understand him? Perhaps you could explain his words then.

16. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

He is trying to say that everyone has their own reality in their own mind.

I think his terms "Christmas day" is an analogy for the magic that occurs in a child's mind on Christmas morning. He says when science can explain that then that is the day when he will start listening to science!

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So he's just saying that he's not convinced by science. How does that have anything to do with the topic of the thread?
    And, by the way, the "magic" can be explained by science.

Anyway, he starts by saying "something real is only something that majority agree on." Error no. 1.
    Reality exists independently of whatever crap people agree on/believe in.

18. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

When science can explain the magic in a child's mind? Hmm...is that so appealing?

I was thinking more along religious lines, that science would only solve the mysteries of the universe when Christ returns.

That is called derailment, and just like a train, it cannot be stopped.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of course, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

19. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Your point is moot! You asked if I understood what he was saying, so I told you. Now you are asking me to defend his statements? You didn't even know what he was saying to begin with.

20. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

No, to defend your opinion. But your opinion ain't fact, so I can't say it's wrong.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm not asking you to defend anything. I'm just reacting to your perceived meaning of his words.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

This seems circular (and a bit solipsistic.)

23. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Hey mate. What do you mean by "what beat"?