Discussion: The Scientific Method is useless

James R

Just this guy, you know?
Staff member
This thread is for discussion about the debate of the same title.

Proposal thread is here: [thread]106882[/thread]
Debate thread is here: [thread]106965[/thread]
Discussion thread is here: [thread]106991[/thread]

if God exists;
his existence is the most important piece of information one needs to get.
for then he will be all that matters, and everything else is worthless and pointless.

if he doesn't exist, everything is worthless and pointless.

Err, false dichotomy?

This one ought to be easy for ol Geoff...

Science investigation continues after scientists die. Therefore the afterlife condition is not a major interest of Science, and makes it's mention in a debate about the uselessness of Science a bit dubious in its assertion/insertion.

The only human endeavor, regiment, or discipline making head-roads into discovery of any natural, or physical realities, or unknowns--is Science.

This would imply that the debate here is a bit premature, as it needs to be preceded by the discussion of, "Can a god be discovered without Science?", which should instead, give Science the most important aspect of uses, to those looking for a god.

Last edited by a moderator:
how can anyone say the scientific method is useless?
after reading the above posts i get the impression that someone is PO'ed because they can't "discover god".
this should lead you to one inescapable conclusion.

O ye of little faith.
Science is the new god, all hail the god of science!

Actually, science is only peripheral to the true nature of god, since the true nature is not an idea or intellectual discourse.
Therefore the existence or nonexistence of god (with a capital g) is unprovable by any argument since all arguments are ideas. Therefore choosing an atheistic or theistic standpoint (as if you "need" to) is altogether irrelevant.

It's just one of those things which is true (or false) for no reason.

I'm wondering if the person who posted the thread title would care to describe what they mean by the Scientific Method?

I'd say there's at least three main ways of learning about reality, inductive, deductive and discovery.

a)
i can't see how you're saying a life in a godless universe isn't pointless.
can't you grasp the simple notion that although the pyramids are still standing for us now, they are nonexistent for their builders because they are dead?

if you raise the best kid in the world, he will cease to exist when you die, along with your whole world.
everything realized by science, will cease to exist upon death, and so, for the dead person, it is pointless.
can't you grasp that?

if you raise the best kid in the world, he will cease to exist when you die, along with your whole world.
everything realized by science, will cease to exist upon death, and so, for the dead person, it is pointless.
can't you grasp that?

Thankfully, no. It's rare we still throw children onto funeral pyres any more.

- Now listen, you. The formal debate has done. I'm not abusing you on my spare time.

Argument_Clinic.png

Can't fool me!

a)
can't you grasp the simple notion that although the pyramids are still standing for us now, they are nonexistent for their builders because they are dead?

can't you grasp that?
So your stance basically is: what's in in for me?
And if the answer is "nothing particularly, but think of your family and everyone else and generations from now" then you aren't interested?

Sheesh.
I'm glad I'm a self-absorbed self-serving atheist. ;)

I'm wondering if the person who posted the thread title would care to describe what they mean by the Scientific Method?

I'd say there's at least three main ways of learning about reality, inductive, deductive and discovery.

Stop your rationalism, you dirty Trotskyite.

a)

can't you grasp that?

Humanity lives on, doesn't it?

The debate has ended and the debate thread has been closed.

#3. Each debater has 3 days from the time of the last post by the other debater to post his next response. If a debater does not post within this 3-day limit, he will be considered to have forfeited the debate, barring any mutual agreement between the debaters.

Your response occurs today, on March 22nd. My response was on the 18th, at 11:05 AM. This is a lapse of four days. This exceeds the time limits provided for response. The debate is, so far as I can tell, over: you have effectively forfeited.

so g, yo want to generously allow me to continue or rightfully claim this debate yours?

Eh. I think I'll claim it. We weren't really going anywhere anyway.

As per the rules of the debate (specifically rule #3 and the absence of an agreement to continue), scifes forfeits and GeoffP wins.

Just as well, it was already a slam dunk for GP. :rolleyes:

How stupid to challenge somebody else to a debate and then to forfeit after only two posts.

I don't think there are many debates in this forum that are of lower quality than this one. (No offence to GeoffP, who made the most of what he was handed.)

I think we've all grown from this experience.

No, wait: what's the one where you feel all dejected and forlorn? That's the one.

Thanks for coming, all. ;)

That's at least two losses for scifes.

There should be a penalty for losing a formal debate, otherwise there’s no disincentive to waste everyone’s time. If, say, a 7-day ban was the penalty for losing (with multiples of that for multiple losses), then this would probably weed out the specious debate challenges.

I don’t see it happening, however. :cool:

Two members enter! One member leaves!

TinaTurnerThunder.jpg

Trolling were damn near the death of us all

Reading this read was a revelation. I had no idea that excessive doses of stupid could actually burn.

Back