The Survival Of The Judeo/Christian Religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Corp.Hudson, Dec 14, 1999.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Gee, I feel like this is an episode of the Masked Magician's Secrets Revealed. What is this, the Fox Network?

------------------
    The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General at the Expense of the Particular .... (Perdurabo; The Book of Lies)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Bah,
    even though I'm not a Christian now, I used to be and there are parts of the bible I know pretty well. In fact, some the contents of the bible played a key role in me leaving the faith and so I hate to see it misquoted so as to promote further misconceptions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Bah ...

I missed this the first time I read through your 12/22 post.

* "However, these poor misguided souls (Roman Christians; especially the Pope) just didn't get it."

Okay ... were it not for the Roman Christians, where would the first political empire, and first occurrence of Christianity as a state religion, occurred? Would Smyrna be the center of the Christian world? Or Tralles?

I do agree that, at some point, perhaps the installation of the papacy, the Roman Church went haywire. However, at the end of feudalism, any resentment aimed toward Judaism by the Christian institution was long-burning among the clergy. Ignatius, 3rd Bishop of Antioch, was martyred during the reign of Trajan (98-117 CE). Even at this point, not a full century past the death of Christ, serious questions began fracturing the Christian body. Ignatius wrote, in a letter to the Magnesians, written as he travelled to Rome to die, "To profess Jesus Christ while continuing to follow Jewish customs is an absurdity. The Christian faith does not look to Judaism, but Judaism looks to Christianity, in which every other race and tongue that confesses a belief in God has now been comprehended." Wow ... quite a bloody claim, there, at the end. But as early as a century after Christ, there was already a strain within the congregations which necessitated an effort to distance Christianity from Judaism. This is, in itself, an understandable situation, when regarding bodies political. But somewhere along the line, that festering tension erupted into ugliness among the common people, affecting the course of the institution they comprised.

As a side note: Maxwell Staniforth, who translated the Penguin Books edition of "Early Christian Writings" (I'm pulling a lot of source material from this book, of late) noted that Ignatius' letter to the Magnesians is the first recorded use of the term "Christianity".

Tiassa

------------------
    The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General at the Expense of the Particular .... (Perdurabo; The Book of Lies)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Actually dexter, you are a moron. Buddhism started after christianity. Its predecessor is hinduism, which dates (at the earliest) to 2000b.c., and Judaism sates to the founding of the egyptian empire. When I refer to christianity, I also mean the jews from 4000b.c. to 0b.c. , because (as Peter taught) christians are just modified jews. The only religions that I am unsure of are those of chinese descent, such as taoism and cunfucism. I am currently reading a book on those religions, so when I get to that part I will shed some light

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Corp Hudson,
    happy new year.The birth of Chinese religion is traceable to the oracle bones(prognostications made by inscribing queries to the spirits on the carapace of a tortoise or the legbone of an ox and then applying heat to the bone to obtain an oracle reading).
    The cracks appearing on the bones gave the negative or positive response of the spirit, to the problems posed by the Kings of Shang c.1760 - 1100 BCE.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Which chinese religion, or do all of them share the same ancestry? As I earlier said, I have not yet read about chinese religions. The jews do date to 4000 B.C.E., and I would honestly like for someone to show me a current religion that lasted longer.

10. frank t Registered Member

What do I think? The fact is that the three religions are different. Judeo-Christian belief has been around longer then Islam. It has much to comend, especially its respect for strangers as Judiasm and Christianity also ask. But the Prophet is not God as Christians believe Jesus to be. Even he says he is not God. Jesus said "I and the Father are one." I was very impressed by the man in Iran who forgave his sons killer. I only hope that if this ever happens to me that I have the stregnth to do the same(not that I want it to happen!!) May the Peace of God be with all of you.

11. truestory Registered Senior Member

Hello frank and thanks.

May the peace of the Lord also be with you.

12. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Didnt islam evolve out of the judeo-christian belief system? Didnt Mohammed claim to be the second coming of Jesus?

13. ISDAMan Thank You Jesus! Registered Senior Member

frank t,

1) Has God ever authorized that anyone other than God alone be worshiped by man or angels?

2) Are you one of the watchtower types or perhaps a mormon or islamic?

Christ IS God,
    ISDAMan

[This message has been edited by ISDAMan (edited January 06, 2000).]

14. ISDAMan Thank You Jesus! Registered Senior Member

frank t,

I misread your post. I am so very very sorry. Please, forgive me. Welcome to exosci Brother!!!

Bring more Christians,
    ISDAMan

15. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Muslims are part of the judeo-christian belief system. Perhaps I should refer to the semitic religions?