The toughest animals on Earth are...?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Gravage, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Hail,everyone!
    Has anyone watched documantary "The most extreme animals-Survivor"?
    I missed this episode,but if anyone watched this episode(the name of the episode is "Survivor") could you tell me which animal is the toughest frm the 1st to the 10th?
    So which animal species are clamied the toughest and the most adaptable in that episode of "The most extreme animals"(does anyone remember):scorpions,cockroaches,crocodiles,bugs,spiders,ants,snakes,camels....-which animal species in the episode of "The most extreme animals-Survivor" is the toughest,the most adaptable to climate changes?
    Thanks,everyone!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I remember seeing this show onnce and thought it would be pretty cool. Never caught any other episodes unfortunately. In any case, I'd say it depends on how you use the word 'tough'. For outright ability to kill I'd have to say Polar Bear for sure. Four pure ability to thrive, it's the Cockroach hands down.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

crocodiles and fleas are up there somewhere

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Bacteria are the extreme toughest on the planet, they live in superheated water on the ocean floor, and they live in Antarctica. They are also the most adaptable, they can perform the most interesting chemical reactions to the extent that other animals incorporate them into themselves, forming, for instance, the nucleated cell, and plants.

8. Gravage Registered Senior Member

I'd say viruses are even more adaptable,but my question was which animal species in the documentary "The most extreme animals-Survivor" claimed that it was the toughest/the most adaptable,I didn't mean on bacteria,except if it was said in this documentary-I don't think bacteria is an animal.
    Do you know which animal species/sub-species has taken the 1st place of the most extreme survivors in that documentary's episode?
    I know there were scorpions,cockroaches,camels,crocodiles,spiders,ants snakes,insects and etc...
    I'm intersted first 3 places belong to which species in that documentary?
    Has anyone watched this episode,if he is than tell me,please!

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'd say humans.

10. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Yes,but this documentary was about animal species,not human species.

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Which human species is the toughest? I'd say homo vagrantensis. It can survive in the rain wearing only a pair of pants made of plastic bags.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Humans are animals too.

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... care to cite a source?

haha, I'm just kidding.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Could only find references on the internet that humans are beasts and monsters.

Maybe I have to reconsider my position.

15. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Virus couldn't be that durable, since as we know, virii are pure parasites, they MUST live in a living being (though I read that some can survive some time without living substrates before leaving for Hades). Not to mention that virus isn't actually an animal nor plant.....

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Also, bacterial infections can kill almost every animal.

17. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I'd say bacteria as a group, though individual bacterial species are often quite easy to kill. Also, it is right that bacteria are not "animals", as far as the current 5 or 7 kingdom classification systems.

I didn't see the show, but I bet Cockroaches would win as far as "outlive, outlast" would go.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

19. sparkle born to be free Registered Senior Member

Sorry. Does that mean you think that bacteria are animals?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Gravage Registered Senior Member

I just don't see how can only one bacteria without group die,if they recently found only one bacteria(not the group,it was only one individual bacteria) after 250 million years of dehydration has came to life again.

21. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Tardigrades are animals that can survive anything,their toughness allow them to live in the superheated water on the ocean floor,can survive at near absolute zero,and probably even totally absolute zero temperature,extremely resistant to radiation(it has been tested that tardigrades can survive 570 000 Roentgens,500 Roentgens kills the man),and etc-the best thing is none of these tests found the upper limit how much tardigrades can survive.
    Just go on Google.com and type tardigrades and you'll see how tough these microrganisms are they are 0.1 to 1 or 2mm large,but they belong to arthropods' species as far as I know.If anyone can beat bacteria, in extreme toughness,tardigrades are the right answer.

22. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

If we talk about animals everyone knows (tardigrades - water bears? - arent the most visible things around) we hav to think of the animals which are opposite of endangerd. the ones we cant get rid of however we try.. like brown rats, roaches, ringworms, ich mites! what about the weevils that eat so much of our food or the little lice that live in our eye lashes?

23. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Ok,if you put away tardigrades and bacteries,you still have cockroaches and scorpions.