The Trump Swindle: What They Voted For

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Trump Swindle: What They Voted For―Corruption & Special Interest

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This part, for many, is not a surprise―

Rhetorically, Trump is A Man of the People, railing against the established order. The elites have run roughshod over the interests of everyday Americans for too long, the billionaire celebrity told voters, and it was time the electorate overturn the corrupt system by electing Donald J. Trump, a champion of those overlooked taxpayers who've been left behind.

Trump, in other words, has a populist style. He adopted a populist tone. The more Trump railed against the elites, the more the media characterized him as a populist, and the more his fans swooned.

But then there's actual populism, which is based on policies and proposals that advance the interests of working people. Real populists may struggle at times with style and tone, but they nevertheless fight for opportunities for those without, not those who are already members of the elite.

And if you mistook Trump as someone who believes in actual populism, I'm afraid he fooled you↱.

President-elect Donald J. Trump, who campaigned against the corrupt power of special interests, is filling his transition team with some of the very sort of people who he has complained have too much clout in Washington: corporate consultants and lobbyists. […]

Mr. Trump was swept to power in large part by white working-class voters who responded to his vow to restore the voices of forgotten people, ones drowned out by big business and Wall Street. But in his transition to power, some of the most prominent voices will be those of advisers who come from the same industries for which they are being asked to help set the regulatory groundwork.

(Benen↱)

―but then there are those who actually voted for Donald Trump. It will be interesting, as the Trump presidency shapes up, whether those people who wanted to send a message to the system about any number of things will prefer we think them stupid or simply dishonest. That is to say, there will come a point when the only excuses left really are the obvious ones, about traditional supremacism.

Still, though, either those voters were stupid enough to believe Donald Trump, or else they were lying to us when they said their reason was sending messages this, that, and the other.

Then again, yeah, there really were some of us who wondered at the idea of sending a message by rallying behind an emblem of what one complains about.

But, hey, he grabs 'em by the pussy, and he's famous so he gets away with it, and that's what Trump voters want in a president. That and the fear of all people nonwhite. In the end, that's all they will have left.

For now, though, we can check the box beside the bit about sending a message to Washington about corruption and lobbying and cronyism. Not like anyone is actually suprised, right? Not even Trump voters?

Notes:

Benen, Steve. "Trump presents a new, twisted version of 'populism'". msnbc. 11 November 2016. msnbc.com. 11 November 2016. http://on.msnbc.com/2fYRJOf

Lipton, Eric. "Trump Campaigned Against Lobbyists, but Now They’re on His Transition Team". The New York Times. 11 November 2016. NYTimes.com. 11 November 2016. http://nyti.ms/2fLtbov

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Trump voters do not and will not know anything about it.
    They've been force-fed a consistent, persistent lie about "biased liberal media", which guarantees that they won't believe anything they hear on mainstream news outlets. They will believe whatever spin is put on it by right-wing talk radio and the new, trumproved FOX network - minus the nice legs.

joepistole likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Come now - give him a break. Those are not the only sort of people he is selecting - he is also big on nepotism, he wasn't complaining about his children...

Earlier on Friday, the three Trump children - the oldest of Trump’s five children - were also named as members of Trump’s Presidential Transition Team Executive Committee.
    Gross noted that the official transition team roles that Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump Jr and Eric Trump now have would appear to complicate matters further.

“If they’re going to be involved in government functions - and they’re starting down that road - and running the business, that’s going to make it very difficult to separate the government and business functions and deal with the conflicts of interest,” Gross said.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...s_58264528e4b02d21bbc8da24?2x1nd64wwxwgnzh0k9

What? We expected something different here? This is only the beginning.

The only silver lining I can find is - America will get exactly what it deserves.... (With apologies to those of us sane enough to have voted nay)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, who's this we?

I mean, sure, that's the thing. We. As in, sure, you and me. And a bunch of our friends and neighbors.

But we lost.

And apparently a bunch of the people who did support him either expected something different or were lying to us the whole time. Quite frankly, at this point I couldn't tell you which I expect to be true. Probably both.

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

This pretty much sums it up for me. Either he's the most extreme liar of all time or we are going to get something entirely different from the Trump we all know and **cough** ** gag** love - can't tell the difference at this point.

I think that will be the question for the ages - either way...

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Trump Swindle: What They Voted For―Health Care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It really would have been a fascinating discussion to overhear.

Donald Trump doesn't have any background in health care policy, and throughout the presidential campaign, he never demonstrated any interest in learning the basic details. The Republican knew he hated "Obamacare"―though it was never altogether clear why―and committed to the law's repeal, but beyond that, Trump's position was largely hollow.

At one point, pressed on his specific position, Trump vowed to "repeal and replace" the Affordable Care Act with "something terrific"―without making any effort to explain what that "something" might be or how it'd be "terrific."

Today, Trump talked to the Wall Street Journal, where the president-elect said something about health care that's quite a bit different from his previous rhetoric ....

.... Specifically, Trump talked about keeping protections for Americans with pre-existing conditions and allowing young adults to remain on their family plans until they're 26.

The president-elect told the Journal, "I like those very much."

Trump went on to say that, as part of his lengthy meeting with the president, Obama pointed to specific provisions of the ACA that are worth preserving. "I told him I will look at his suggestions, and out of respect, I will do that," Trump said, adding that the law "will be amended, or repealed and replaced."

You'll notice that "amended" is a new addition to Trump's health care vernacular.

(Benen↱)

Notes:

Benen, Steve. "Trump hedges on health care, points to ‘amending' ACA". msnbc. 11 November 2016. msnbc.com. 12 November 2016. http://on.msnbc.com/2fKmLEB

10. Bells Staff Member

Ah, so much for the 'the first thing I am going to do when sworn in is repeal Obamacare'...

It is pretty obvious at this point that he never actually had a healthcare plan to replace what he said he would be repealing first and foremost on entering the Oval Office. So he will just amend the current model and hope no one notices.

Hilarious.

And then, aside from the infighting in his team, there is this..

The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that Trump’s team seemed to be scrambling to adjust to the prospect of running the United States government in less than 80 days. During a visit to the White House on Thursday, Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, asked White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough how many White House staffers would remain into a Trump administration (almost none will remain). Politico also reported that passages on Trump’s website appeared to be copied from the Center for Presidential Transition.

Goddess..

As it all unravels around him and his voters start to realise that he had no actual plan for any of his promises, I suspect there will be many angry Trumpers left in his wake.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

And the recycled headline will be:
    Nobody Could Have Foreseen

Aha

Tiassa likes this.
  12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

At the moment due to his confused nuke policy he is holding the world hostage and he knows it... ( except Russia, of course, as they seem to have unbridled confidence in Trump which is incredibly telling IMO)

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

14. river

Seriously people .

Trump is about getting beyond the destructive forces of what was , institutional power .

In time we will find out whether he is any different .

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

He predicted the popular vote, and he was wrong.

Trump's slated to be a figurehead in the first place, so from one pov impeaching him might be fairly easy - it wouldn't face the same obstacles that impeaching a real President would face in Congress and so forth. He's also in the unique position of having a Vice President whom almost every official that matters would prefer take his job.

And his Russian connections, financial dealings, etc, are bound to provide cause. He's a security threat of the first order.

On the other hand, he might be very good at applying clout. He's going to have a quasi-connected auxiliary group of thugs and bad guys of one kind or another, who are completely dependent on him for their status, hanging around with Russian intelligence and operational support. We haven't seen anything like that in the White House, at least not since the modern Security State apparatus was set up. Like J Edgar Hoover, maybe Dick Cheney, he might simply be too dangerous to mess with once he gets his feet planted under the desk.

I'm really curious about the intelligence briefings Trump is receiving, of course without any hope of ever knowing - but it would seem prudent to hold off on some of that stuff for a while anyway.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Just as Republicans aren't entitled to their own set of facts, neither are you.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...icts_donald_trump_will_win_2016_election.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/professor-predicts-trump-will-win-2016-9

I'm skeptical about a potential Republican impeachment of a Republican president especially one like Trump who has a very loyal and devoted base. Impeaching Trump would be a very risky move for Republicans. I think removal via the 25th Amendment is a more likely possibility whereby Trump is removed from office by his vice president and cabinet. But it's an interesting speculation.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

He predicted the popular vote would be won by Trump. He did not predict the electoral vote. The articles you linked did not make the distinction, but the interview you linked in #10 does, clearly.
    His base, like W's (and the same people), is going to be pretending none of this was their doing after a while. My guess is he starts to have health problems long about then. At that point, he can be removed for his own good, and the stuff he got caught at blamed on his health issues.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You aren't entitled to your own facts. The references I provided were very clear. Lichtman predicted Trump would win the election. He made no reference to popular vote or electoral vote. His model doesn't predict numbers. It predicts who wins, and he has never been wrong. He predicted Trump would win this election and he was correct.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Listen to the interview in your own damn link, #10, will you please? His model predicts a percentage of the popular vote. It predicted Trump would receive a higher percentage than Clinton. It was wrong.

If you check back, you will find that back in August Lichtman's model was predicting a Clinton victory, with 52% of the vote - it switched to Trump when Gary Johnson hit 5% in the polling, on the assumption his run would damage the incumbent. That may have been the source of the missed prediction - Johnson may have drawn more votes from Trump.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL....

Well, you are back to your usual dishonesty. Just where in my line #10 does it say what you claim it says? It doesn't. You are making stuff up again.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It's been a lesson I must admit...

Political strategy:

Make heaps of promises to the people that will get you elected knowing full well that when you renege on those promises their complaints will be ignored.
    Why? Because they are ignore-able deplorables... (even according to trump himself)

"Mr Trump , my vote was dependent on your promise to....( fill in the blank(s))"​

He needs to be held to his promises.... (not just be accountable but actually held)

One of his key vote buying promises was to have Hillary jailed. This alone probably represented a majority of his popular support...

He has since betrayed that support and needs to be held to it rather than have it over looked.

I am confident that Hillary can stand up to any judicial inquiry and deserves the opportunity to do so.

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump has been backpedaling on a number of issues. It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. I mean, the crap he pledged to do was just so bizarre it should have been self evident he wasn't being honest.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

he needs to be held to his promises..
    ie.
    Tax returns must be presented as promised. ***
    A wall .. not just a fence... needs to be built...
    Hillary must be given an opportunity to clear the slander.
    etc...

*** this one is critically important...IMO