There can be only one...

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Mr. G, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

[Q],
    Bebelina,
    Umm, you both misunderstand. I've been poking fun at [Q], not coming on to Bebelina. And, here, folks think my self-image gets unruly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Pollux V,
    Let me guess. Your first babysitter was a televison, your second was a computer..

Wouldn't you just once like to suckle at a real breast?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

No, damnit mr g. I lived in NYC and had this great Polish baby sitter who would take me all over the place. I didn't get interested in computers until I was around eleven and tvs have never been a big thing for me. It just seemed like a better idea, rather than sending two people you send a few hundred who don't need to eat or sleep or breath.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

What can be learned about human behavior from automatons? Or about interpersonal Human relationships?

Adults, especially, must be actively present during the early childhood of new humans. People must be nutured by other people, not by their tools.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Let's get back to thinking about an evolving Onboard society.

How will the roles of males and females in modern Terrestrial societies, evolved over time, differ from their roles in an intersteller Onboard society?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2002
  8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think that stricter laws would have to be in place in orbital colonies since generally small broken laws by terrestrial terms could be disastrous for colonies, i.e a speeding vehicle hits a store on earth, no one his hurt since the driver bails onto wet green grass, but if he does it on a colony the driver could still bail out but he risks blowing a hole the size of a car in the wall between space. That would suckeveryone out. They would likely have to go everywhere by foot or elevator-train like machines.

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Mr G.

Perhaps. The best solution would be to have people who are trained in the raising of children. Parents are almost universally significantly unqualified to raise children in an optimum manner.

Cris

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Pollux,

No I disagree. Accidents will happen through many means, and we can’t assume they wouldn’t. Any such space vehicle will need to be built in small modular units. If any single module is pierced then it can be easily isolated. Or IOW there can be no large open spaces on such a vehicle.

All doors would need to be automatic and as independent as possible and kept closed at all times except of course for people moving in and out. A lot like the doors on Star Trek Enterprise.

Cris