Trump Saves the World!

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Carcano, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

I'm sure the Iraqi people will appreciate us sharing some of the profits of their oil with them, while we stay there and play big brother. Donald thinks we're the next British Empire.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But when America leaves Iran will just take over because Iraq doesn't have the military that it once had to protect itself against Iran. So what happens then, America won't be sharing anything when that takes place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AndrewH Guest

Shouldn't have gone in, in the first place......oh well no sense crying over split milk

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But we are making the SAME mistakes again and again...Libya, Yemen, Pakistan, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I agree but I guess since America is there now and Trump thinks that America should they stay there and make sure that Iran doesn't invade Iraq before Iraq can get a substantial military force back into operation. Iraq doesn't have much of a police forse let alons a military that could defend itself from Iran. I guess Trump just doesn't want to see all of the time and effort go to waste by watching Iran just walk in and take control.

8. Pinwheel Banned Banned

If Iran tried to invade Iraq the US will just blitz Tehran.

9. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Why would that be a worry?

Iran has no major beef with Iraq and no particular reason to attack them.
    In the previous war it was Saddam's Iraq army that attacked Iran without warning.

In 2005, the Government of Iraq apologized to Iran for starting the war.

Arthur

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

When did they settle their border dispute? As I recall, both still claim the same land and the important river flowing thru it and any oil under it.

By edit: I am doing some research on the border dispute. I will add more by edit as I find it:

"... In 2004 and again in March, 2007, the boundary question rose to international prominence when Iranian soldiers seized British sailors operating in the vicinity of the Shatt al-Arab, in what Iran alleged were its own territorial waters. ..." From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Iraq_border See the second map there, which will not copy here for me. It shows the disputed area in greater detail, and its caption state the dispute is still unsettled.

"... Iraqi officials said in December a dozen Iranian soldiers had moved 100 meters into Iraqi territory and raised the Iranian flag over the disputed well. Iraq later said the Iranians had moved away from the well but were still on Iraqi soil. The well was drilled in 1979 and provided about 3,000 barrels a day at the time, but has been inactive since 1980 due to the war between the two countries in the 1980s. Fakka is part of the Maysan oilfield complex, which has reserves of about 2.5 billion barrels. Iraq tried unsuccessfully to auction it off to foreign oil firms last year. ..." From: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/18/us-iran-iraq-border-idUSTRE60H37Q20100118 (This Reuters article, dated 18 Jan 2010, is the latest I could find.)

Billy T comments:I still expect, as I predicted when the invasion of Iraq started, that the end result will be the defacto, if not de juro division of Iraq into three parts. In the north, including the major oil citiies, Kirkuk and Mosul, will be "Kurdistan" and this will cause big problems in Southern Turkey where Kurds are a majority and have long (>1000 years) wanted to be part of their own state.

In the South, where the Shiits are the majority, they will not want to become part of Iran, but will be very cooperative with Iran. I.e. there will be little problem for the oil from the border oil field to be developed with Iranian technology and marketed by Iran. This possibility is so strong that international oil companies were not interested in bidding on oil leases for this promising oil field when Iraq asked for bids - too much chance their money would be lost when Iran takes effective charge of the development of these fields as Iraq falls apart. (It will just become an unimportant, mainly-desert, Sunni region without oil - see map above.) I.e. the net long-term effect of the US invasion, in less than a decade from now will be to give Iran what it has always wanted, but could not take by force. (The weakened dollar US will eventually need to "cut loses & and run" from Iraq - it is just a question of how much more money is squandered before this happens.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2011
  11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But the Muslim leader Sadar is controlled by Iran and he is in control of thousands of people in Iraq that want to overthrow the new government. He has been and will always be a puppet of Iran and he will be promoting more and more violence the more America leaves the area. Iran wants the oil fields for itself and delude yourself into thinking otherwise. If they can overthrow the established regime that is set up in Iraq by using inside influence they will do so and that is a fact you can't dispute.

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

More on post 47 & 48 from today's news:

Tens of thousands of demonstrators in eastern Baghdad marked the eighth anniversary of the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime with a protest Saturday against the American troop presence there.
    The demonstrators, followers of anti-American Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, rallied in Mustansriya Square, where they called all U.S troops to withdraw from Iraq at the end of the year.
    The protesters carried Iraqi flag and banners, with some chanting "Baghdad is a free country, America get out!" and "No for Occupation, No for America."

From: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/04/09/iraq.demonstrations/index.html?hpt=T2

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Trump gave a big speech in Florida today where he called America 'The Saudi Arabia of Natural Gas'.

I cant think of any other major candidate who is actively pushing the switch to CNG as a transportation fuel.

Who else???

15. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

That's fine. Is he also pushing for a gov't subsidy to encourage switching vehicles over? That's usually the problem, it costs more money to change rather than remain with the existing fuel. And then of course, you need to have the fueling infrastructure in place, otherwise no one is going to buy the alternative, no matter how much better it is.

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Actually, I always thought the biggest shiits were in Dallas...
    Sorry, Billy T, couldn't help mahself there...carry on...

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Trump is reported as saying that the US should invade Libya, take over the country and take the oil. He is quoted as saying something along the lines of "In the old days, when you invaded a country you owned it. If I sent the US into Libya, it would be to take the oil."

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Trump wants to take us back to the days of old-school colonialism, as opposed to the 2.0 version where we extract the wealth through intermediate companies?

Uh-huh. Enter Republican collective Id, stage right...

Does anyone think other countries are going to let us do that? Really?

19. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

If they get a big enough cut, maybe. The UN might get upset, but GWB showed we don't have to listen to them, since we tend to be the teeth of the UN anyway.

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Well, completely disregarding the ethics of the situation...could a coalition of western powers successfully hold down a country and forcibly extract its' oil?

How would we go about it?

I mean, we could just release biowarfare agents, that would be the very cheapest way-a nice viral hemhorrhagic fever in all the main markets of all the main towns at one go...

Wait until about 70-80% of the population's dead and then, hey, not a problem! A real walk in the park, even!
    Hemorrhagic fever tends to kill so fast outbreaks are conveniently limiting-nobody lives long enough to transmit it very far.

I mean, that's the really ethics-free way to do it.:shrug:

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Heres the model:

1. Invade on a pretext of liberating the people.
    2. Set up puppet government.
    3. Invite corporate America in to exploit cheap labour and resources.

"I helped make Mexico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenue in. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras "right" for American fruit companies in 1903. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints."

-General Smedley D. Butler. 1931

22. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

But I think Middle-Easterners are too smart and too proud as a whole for that model to fly. Or maybe just too willing to die rather than submit. That matters.

That's why I think we'd have to just flat-out kill a vast majority to turn a profit...otherwise all the money would go towards paying for hired guns in one form or another.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Tump's is pandering to the Republican/Tea Party crowd. They love simple answers to complex problems.