Trumps to-do list...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cluelusshusbund, Nov 9, 2016.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank the first thang Trump promised to do was:::

On his first day as President to repeal Obamacare an replace it wit somptin beter.!!!

Well now that i take serously what Trump says... im lookin forward to somptin even beter than Obamacare.!!!

I dont remember what was next on his list... but it was a lot of improvments on stuff so thats somptin to look forward to.!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh yes me too, can't wait to see what he is going to implement!

Oh and I can't wait to see THE WALL, paid for by Mexico no less, yep this is gon'a be good.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

One of the things that struck me about Trump today was the look of fear on his face during his speech.

All of us here commented on it, because it was kind of blatant. He looks shocked. Probably explains how and why he forgot to thank his VP Mike Pence until Pence physically prompted him to during his acceptance speech.

Most importantly, he has no excuse now for failing.. If he doesn't deliver now, the buck will stop with him and the GOP. And people expect him to deliver and expect him to offer something bigger and better than the ACA. And do so quickly.

And it was interesting, that even as he was giving that acceptance speech, it was clear that he still wasn't going to explain how he was going to do any of it. I don't think he even knows how.

Anywho, next on the list was "the wall", the forced deportations of illegal immigrants, defeating ISIS - with his special secret plan, creating jobs and improving roads and bridges..

His win has caused the stockmarket to crash and become even more unstable post Brexit. Which will make it even harder for him to deliver on all his promises. Because if he just abolishes the ACA and leaves the millions of people who were able to access insurance under the ACA without insurance, that majority he garnered will vanish in 4 years. No more excuses now, no one else to blame. The buck starts and stops with the GOP and a President who deems everyone else is to blame for everything and anything. He has no one to blame now. Which is going to be hilarious.

Australians are used those these kinds of swings towards the other side. And when the side promising bigger and better fail, which they always do, the swing against them is always brutal and swift in the next election. People expect Trump to deliver. And if and when he fails to deliver, voters will turn on him and the GOP. He has 4 years to start delivering. I'd suggest it's now time to grab the popcorn.

I give it by 2 years, by which time the US might find it has a Republican President with a GOP congress and senate that is hostile towards him as they try to curb his insane plans.

paddoboy and Magical Realist like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

The impression i got toward the end was that the wall woud be paid for by Mexico... an the payments woud occur thru less American taxes bein spent on healthcare... schoolin an jails... ect... for the illegal Mexicans.

It wont take very long... just make a couple "improvments" on Obamacare an name it Trump care... an prolly at the worst it will only cost a litle more an cover a little less.!!!

He will prolly ease up a bit on the deportations... but he will bomb the hell out of ISIS an that prollem solved... an improvin roads an bridges will create lots of new jobs an tax revenue which is a win win win.!!!

I perdict that they will work good together an get lots of stuff done that the GOP has been wantin for a long time... not to mention the likely apontment of 3 supreame cort justices.!!!

Interestin times are ahead for many years to come.!!!

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In America there have been at least two similar moments: Reagan in 1980, W in 2000. In both cases the blatant and damaging failure of the incoming administration was easily handled by media deflections to external and internal threats, and the failed administrations were re-elected with larger majorities in the vote.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh you noticed that... now?

Nuking them I would guess, I mean he said he wanted to target their families and general population basically. I'm pretty sure nothing short of total extermination is what a fair percentage of his electorate interpreted from that at least.

Great, then the good times will come again for us democrats, without the Clinton "mafia" too! Maybe in 2020 we will have President Warren and control of the senate and house such as to get real single payer public option healthcare.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Uh huh. And who will replace all the taxes those illegal mexicans used to pay?
    Problem there is that then he's breaking his promise to repeal it all.
    Right. Because that has worked so well in other places in the Middle East.

11. birch Valued Senior Member

They dont pay taxes. They work under the table.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

From PunditFact:
    ================
    How much do undocumented immigrants pay in taxes?
    By Linda Qiu on Sunday, October 2nd, 2016 at 5:12 p.m.

. . .

According to the Social Security Administration, there were nearly 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States in January 2009. Factoring out kids, nonworking immigrants and those working in the underground economy and not paying taxes, the Social Security Administration estimated about 3.1 million unauthorized immigrants who worked and paid Social Security taxes in 2010.

This group and their employers generated about $13 billion in payroll taxes in 2010. The administration then subtracted about $1 billion in benefits that could’ve been received in 2010 from earnings in years when workers were unauthorized. Workers and employers contribute roughly the same amount.
    ================

Plus, of course, billions in sales and excise taxes. And the money they enable farmers to make by picking their crops.

But I am sure that Trump has a plan to get all that money from somewhere else.

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Something is happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear.

14. Bells Staff Member

?

No. But it is clear that people who voted for him will still not get an explanation. Or a plan.

And what are the chances that he will be able to deliver?

Maybe. One can hope so at any rate.

One of the things with winning big and winning a majority in both houses of government and the Presidency is that the buck, will literally stop with them. In the past, they were able to blame others. When they repeal the ACA, for example, and if they do not put in a viable plan to ensure those who gained insurance under the ACA do not lose their coverage, in short, if they do not implement a better system, people will turn on them. And some Republicans may not be willing to vote for a complete repeal that leaves their constituents with no coverage as a result of the repeal.

People will be pissed.

Going forward, the Democrats now need to look at why people did not turn out to vote. They need to engage, to listen and address what angered so many people that resulted in their not even turning out to vote.

When the left in my home state were left decimated in an election, that saw the right take complete control, leaving like 7 seats for the left and independents, they took stock. And then they went out and spoke to people, everywhere. They literally became a grass roots movement. While the right rampaged through and did what they wanted, when voters quickly became unhappy at the policies being implemented by the right, the left went door knocking, held town halls. Very quietly and they started a week after that disastrous election. Within 3 years at the next election, the left, because of how they approached it, came home and retook Government. They were hoping to win 20 seats, hoping to become a viable opposition. Instead, they were delivered Government. No town, area, suburb were taken for granted as being safe.

One of the messages that came out of these small townhall style meetings and door knocking and face to face discussions with the voters who turned on them was that they were tired of the same. They were tired of being taken for granted, of the expectation that they would vote as they always had. The previous leftist Government had become complacent. And I suspect that was probably one of the biggest problems for the Clinton campaign. There was a sense of complacency there, that blue collar workers would continue to vote for the Democrats. She targeted minorities most of all in her campaign, while white people from rural and industrial areas suffered, which left them open to turning to the right. And turn they did..

The pendulum, by design, will swing away from the right. One can only hope that the left actually listen this time. That they go out and actually listen and take note. Otherwise, that pendulum will just swing towards independents and down ballot.

If the Democrats want to win the next election, then they need to nominate someone who will engage the electorate (*cough* Cory Booker *cough*) and start doing so this week.. This is the week they start door knocking and speaking to Americans. Not in 3 years time when they start campaigning. They need to start now.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Because... drum roll... there is no plan.

God I don't want to know. We have already been bombing the shit out of ISIS, don't see how we could do more, but who knows, Putin and Trump could lock lips and arrange something crazy.

Between 2004 to 2008 the failures of the bush administration became so horrendous we won back the senate, we won the house and we won the presidency. If Trump is half as bad as we suspect we will likely get a repeat of that in just 4 years.

1. It is the economy "stupid": the middle class continues to struggle, working shitty dead end jobs to make ends meet. They want REAL change NOW and are desperate for anyone who claims they can do that (somehow), in stepped Trump.
    2. Hillary: she was a horrible candidate: endless scandals, no known genuine personality other than wanting to be president, moderate that voted for the Iraqi war, etc, etc, I could go on and on despite having held my nose and voting for her.
    3. The regressive left, screaming at anyone that was cis, white, male, as being inherently evil did us no favors. The constant demonizing of the other-side as sexist misogynist fascist, (sure some of them are) when most are simply regular people suffering economically desperate for a fix.

and yet she lost votes from Hispanics, blacks, the young, etc

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

With the way automation is going we are going to need to implement radical solutions sooner then later, so no matter who the pendulum swings to they need to do something effective, else the pendulum will swing around faster and further (as it just did) and then start to wobble crazily and break and then we have total social upheaval.

I'm partial to Warren.

I will bring this up at my counties democrat meeting tomorrow.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In 2 years there will be mid-term elections, and the Us may then find itself with a nominally-Republican President Trump and a Democrat-controlled Senate (at least).

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

We have been here before - Reagan in 1980s, W in 2000, etc. That was the standard take then, and it was disappointed. "They" own the media, and "they" had no trouble blaming others, or when that got ridiculous "both sides".

The blaming on "both sides" production line is already set up and fully operational.
    That was after W&Cheney had been re-elected. And it took a direct hit by a hurricane on a major port to do it.
    And Trump will tell them who to blame.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It will take 60 votes to "control" the Senate - 60 reliable votes, people willing to vote in a Democratic partisan bloc.

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What list?
    You don't really expect him to remember for two whole months what-all he promised to do as president?
    He's made a note to put a great big neon sign up over the White house (plenty going cheap on e-bay as franchisees take them down) put a gold throne and humongous selfie in the oval office, cancel Social Security and disband the IRS.
    The other stuff was ... "kidding, just kidding."

20. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

This is the only silver lining I've been able to conjure so far - those of us still alive in four years can expect a real blow-out election. A sort of cosmic correction...

21. Bells Staff Member

But it is a "big and beautiful" no plan.

And it will be a "big and beautiful" something crazy. Because Trump!

I wonder if he's going to get Putin to do it all and then just stamp his name on it like he does with his hotels?

Let's hope so.

Then again, his 'base' are already complaining that he praised Obama and Clinton and all the wall talk, mass deportations and banning Muslims has disappeared from his website and the party platform. I suspect they will turn on their own soon enough.

There are rumours that he may promote Sarah Palin to his cabinet. As a non-American, it's like the bad gift that keeps on giving. While the rest of us can laugh our arses off at the prospect, we do understand why American's are not laughing at the prospect.

1) I think the left failed to account for the rural and blue collar workers votes. And minorities simply failed to get excited enough to come out and vote. I think Clinton gambled on people turning up to vote because Trump was such an awful candidate. But I also think that on many occasions, she was dismissive of the rural and blue collar working voting block, such as during the 2nd debate where she just said they should go and look at her website.

2) I don't think she was such a horrible candidate. I don't think it was the scandals that resulted in her defeat. I think the biggest issue the left had was engaging with people to encourage them to come out and vote. I think she was somewhat dismissive of a very large portion of the population who are struggling, because she kept focusing solely on the horror that was Trump's campaign and his policies. While focusing so much on his campaign, she didn't really get enough out about what her policies were and how they would help the people who are struggling. Trump was successful in that regard because he went to these rural communities. Clinton, not so much. Comparing it to Australian politics, both the right and the left here always, and I mean always, do their best to engage in the farmers and rural workers. When they start to edge away from blue collar workers, the repercussion in the next election is always swift. But farmers in particular, failing to engage with them or even make a concerted effort never ends well here. And as someone who is far far left, I am always critical of anyone who fails to address the concerns of farmers here, because the do it tough, just as they do in the US. I think dismissively saying 'go and look at my website' is not enough. I didn't see that level of engagement with Clinton's campaign. Choosing Kaine to appease the 'white male' wasn't really the way to go. She should have gone for someone who was able to engage with these voters, to hear them out and listen closely and to discuss policies that would work for them. Perhaps this might be a wake up call to both sides. They need to listen. Just as the right has to start listening to minorities and address issues of discrimination, lack of education and housing and lack of employment affecting minorities, the left has to do the same to blue collar workers and rural residents who are equally struggling with lack of employment and growth opportunities in their communities.

3) Yes and no. The issues of discrimination has to be addressed. You will not thrive if discriminatory practices continue as they are.

Yes she did in some areas. Voter suppression efforts in many areas may have resulted in minorities not even bothering to turn up to vote.

But Trump also outperformed with whites, in particular, white males. And I think that is where Clinton lost the election. Which goes back to point 2 above. But again, point 3 above is also vital in that regard.

I don't think Trump will be successful and I think that when he and the GOP fail enough, and they will, the failure will be pretty bad. I think there is already social upheaval. Minorities are now terribly afraid for their future and with good reason, with a distinct rise in hate crimes and racist attacks since the election. White supremacists now feel emboldened and they are no longer afraid of remaining in the shadows. If anything, this might spur the left and minorities to finally rise up. When it gets bad enough and can no longer be hidden, it could very well be a watershed moment, so the next elections (mid terms) and the next Presidential election will be crucial.

Isn't everyone? But the Democrats also have to consider electing someone who can relate to rural and blue collar workers. Trump will screw them over. The left now has to capitalise on their failures to regain those votes.

It is particularly crucial in rural areas and blue collar areas where the Democrats lost so much. Now is the time to listen to voters and present them with a plan they can look to vote for.

22. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Or here:

While women of color voted for Hillary Clinton en masse, a majority of white women preferred Trump.
    It was white men, regardless of class, who voted for Trump overwhelmingly; and white women without college degrees voted a lot like white men.
    Even among voters of color, there was close to a 10-point gap between men and women, with men more likely to vote for the man. Those men nudged Trump toward victory. His overwhelming support from white men put him close to the finish line. And his narrow win with white women pushed him over it.

(emphasis mine)
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/trumps-win-women-filipovic/index.html

My wife has been humming "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" a lot the last couple of days... Hmmmmm....

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

They came out in droves because trump inspired most republicans, conservatives and independent, fed up with a corrupt establishment that does not fix their economic problems, at the same time all to Clintons base were underwhelm by her and did not come out to vote or voted third party. Even amongst women for example she lost votes compared to obama with more women voting third party, heck a slight majority of white women actually voted for trump!

Stop you there, she lost against a boorish clown con man... let that sink in: anyone that loses like that is a horrible candidate. By yes a return to focusing on the economic problems of the working class is what the left here in the US need, not racial or gender issues that only tribalize us more.

Well the way it is being addressed here is not productive and only adds gasoline to the fire. With a better economy people will be high enough on Maslow's hierarchy of needs to be more empathetic to each other, with our present economy it is more of "fuck them what are you going to do for me?" So economy first, transexual bathrooms later. Consider the environmental protection movement. Lakes here were literally bursting into flames since the beginning of the 20th century from pollution, no one cared until the 1960's when people finally had a standard of living to enjoy a day at the lake and oh god it is on fire! Likewise people did not mind electing a climate change denier because their incomes or lack there of is a higher priority to them.

So in conclusion: economic issues must be fix first, once the middle class is growing in adjusted income rather then stagnating for 2 decades now, once the middle class has growing savings accounts, stable jobs and lives, then you can bring up any other issue and they will give a fuck.

No surprise, he also outperformed against romney in 2012 with just about ever other demographic as well, even white women. So points 2 and 3 makes no sense.

Hate crimes and racists attacks you say, hum

I would think just someone without a laundry list of corruption and scandals behind her would work, heck that why I voted for Obama in 2008 over Hillary, I said she had too much baggage and was right. The working class here hate corruption, they have a dislike for both parties and see all their economic woes as a direct result of their politicians being bought out. As we did in 2008 we capitalized on the failures of the republicans with a charismatic candidate that promised hope and change for all, and we won gloriously.

I would say we wait until the republicans start dropping the ball, counter with what we would have done differently and start protesting then, not now.

Update: going back to sleep, but watch this, he nails what happened:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016