Unconditional love

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Quantum Quack, May 20, 2008.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

"To love someone/thing as they were in the past, as they are in the present and how they will be in the future."

A state of total acceptance with out criteria or condition....

is it possible...?

Care to discuss?

"People often refer to "true love" or "soul mates" or "only one love" etc are they talking about the sort of acceptance and love described above?"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

In a sci fi book written sometime ago the author refers to extreme psychic ability as part of his plot.
    This incredible description :

"And Jack was born without a body or virtually no body and had from the time of birth begin to create his physical form using telekenetic manifestations....
    So that after a period of about 3 months since leaving his mothers womb he took on the form of a new born baby with exceptional talents"

The reason I write this in the thread is to explore the essence of Jack and how he created the image he wished to portray to the world.
    Thus using him as an extreme thought experiement to show how we and the "we" is important are not so much what we create about ourselves but the creator of our image. When we love unconditionally are we loving the creator or the creation?

sort of enquiry...

I know from experience that to love the creator [ within ] is by far the suprerior love than to loving only that which is created. Self love is essentially loving the creator that you are. And in reflection that love is shown in our love for others.

In religious terms it refers to the love of the "flesh" hedonism [ materialism] rather than the creator of that "flesh".
    I am not suggesting the love of a universal creator persee - another issue prerhaps but the love of the self creator with in . The essence of an individual how struggles through out their lives to create their reality and life.
    Of course there are religious parallels and I apologise for the closeness or proximity to religious thought because I do nbto wish to mislead. I tend to believe that teh creator with in is in fact an aspect of a universality that may be interpreted in a dogmatic religious style however to do so would not be necessarilly correct.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

To try and explain this concept a bit more:
    Say we have 6 robots that each have at their core programing an identicle creativity program. All robots have exactly the same creativity program but have a different set of conditions applied to the uuse of that program [ personality program.

So each robot has at core creativity program vs11-1
    but each robot has a unique version of a personality program and of course a unique 4 dimensional space/time perspective. [situation - environment - circumstance]

It is the love of the creator program within all of us that I guess I am referring to as the essence of a person. Compatability comes with teh concordance of how that creator program manifests it's creativity via the personality program and other conditions...etc... however the core love exists regardless of any other programing outsde of the core creativity program....

sheesh! this is hard to explain with out making a mess of it....

any one?

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

nice! hey

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But do you love the composers of the music or the music they composed.
    To love as suggested unconditionally woudl been to love both aspects. Often though we forget about the composer and only feed on that which is composed.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes, i love my kids has they are now and has they will be, likewise with my husband

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

do you love them the way they were as well?

11. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Even if they turn into serial murderers who brutally torture you regularly? There's nothing at all they could do that'd make you disown them?
    :shrug: I find that hard to believe.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

WOW, is that what happpened to you?? You should have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7IsMnbC88&feature=related

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Oh the torture was unbearable, all day and night...... It brings me to tears.
    I can barely talk about it....... They made me.........

Listen to westlife.:bawl:

14. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Yes, it's possible. I think it is "to see someone for what they really mean to you", just as you allways accept your self to some degree, you will allways accept that person. Since you know that if he is in a bad situation or state of mind, that you could be in that state of mind or in that situation too, and that it isn't what truly matters. It's to do to him what you would want him to do if you were in that situation, and it is to see that person as he was as his best.

It's to "love your neighbour as you love yourself".

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I would like to say I will have unconditional love for my kids forever. I do right now, and would like to say I will 100% in the future.

As Anti-Flag said though, if they turned out to be be child molesters or murderers, I think my feelings would change towards them drastically.

So I guess I don't think there is unconditional love.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

In all seriousness then philosophically speaking it shouldn't be possible. The sole condition of love is always 'that which I love must not change beyond my boundary of love and hate'.
    Theoretically there should always be a breaking point, at least as far as people are concerned as they can easily change beyond said point(which is unique to each individual). This is from a rational viewpoint however even amongst the most irrational of love-struck humans there should always be a point at which the love 'could' be broken. It's just a case of finding the event that triggers that point. Inanimate objects may be an exception.

17. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

To love someone can also be to feel sorry for them. That's why such things can hurt so much. It's not that you have to brutally torture someone, just a word said at the wrong time can hurt just as bad.

The physical torture is easy to stand and doesn't mean anything in the aftermath. It's the psychological part that matters and that needs caring.

You could accidently hurt someone physically, and that would be forgiven straight away (sure he/she might be mad at you for a time), if you don't mean anything bad with it, then it's almost surely ok. It's when you do something bad to someone with intention that it's really hurting.

That's my thoughts on the matter.

18. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I've redefined my statements in more detail in a seperate post above, I think it's the future events that can change the love you feel for someone, unless there are unknown past events. It's an interesting subject though.

19. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Then that is not unconditional love. Your love for them is with a condition that
    they will not turn into e.g. child molesters or murderers.

Unconditional love should be without condition, prerequirement, or requisite.

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I see we are thinking along similar lines Cyperium.
    I guess it is like when you look around at your stuff, you know the stuff you have brought into your life do you love the stuff only or do you love the creator of the stuff? The individual that gathered that stuff? The one who attracts that stuff...etc etc..
    Often peopl only love the creation rather than the creator.

In other words they love what the do but not the do-er...
    Thus self love is refracted and makes impossible to love others for their creator within either becasue their love is focussed only on that which they produce or procure or propagate etc..

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

actually I have found that it is the condition they they don't turn out to be "bad" that actually seesm to inspire bad behaviour...a reaction to knowing the conditions of your love inspires anger and intolerance....as a rule...

22. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Indeed, but this is in part the very reason that love is conditional. If someone repeatedly, callously and with intent, harms you (perhaps physically, and psychologically), without remorse for their actions or feeling for your suffering then this is beyond the above mentioned breaking point in most people.
    Whilst obviously not all share the same point it should theoretically be consistent that there is a point in each of us that the feeling of love can turn to hate, for if they are incapable of hate then I would contend they cannot know love.

23. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Precisely.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!