Uneven temperature

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by timojin, Jan 20, 2017.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Seattle and sculptor like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If this is a standard color coding scheme, it's telling us that the dark red zones are undergoing temperatures significantly higher than their normal range over a period of time that is not stated, but most likely at least 20 years, and at most a long stable period of predictable highs and lows, perhaps a couple of centuries. The lighter brown zones, then, would indicate consistently higher temperatures over the same time period, but not as extreme as the dark red zones.

Then yellow would mean a region that has maintained its historical temperatures. And of course, the white zone would indicate consistently lower temperatures.

IIRC, temperatures began to rise at the dawn of the Industrial Era, due to the sudden exploitation of fossil fuels.

Several factors have accelerated that rise, including:
    • Advances in medicine (antibiotics, vaccines, asepsis, surgery, etc.) that greatly reduced the death rate
    • The astounding increase in the survival of children, who then became parents
    • Types of work that were far less dangerous than pre-industrial
    • Municipal cleanliness campaigns, most notably clean water
    • Rise in living standards, making these benefits available to the vast majority of the population, at least in the more prosperous nations

8. timojin Valued Senior Member

Hell is wrong with you. do you want me to you with information available in the picture with respect to uneven warming of the southern and northern hemisphere.
    You stick left hand into the oven and the right hand into the ice box and the resulting tem. is an average, but one hand is burning and the other is freezing , the obviously you feel good because the average is ok. Good for you

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You are aware that the Earth is not an oven or icebox, right? Why would you expect it to operate similarly?

This is why science is kept away from people who might injure themselves.

Seattle and paddoboy like this.
  10. timojin Valued Senior Member

Please don't pet yourself, If you are a scientist you would find a better explanation.

11. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Wow, that is what you see in that graphic? Really?
    The temperatures in that graphic are way above the norm. Your point is that not every place on the planet is above normal so we are OK.
    Is ignorance really bliss?

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Ignorance is ignorant.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Science is not "Look at this picture. It looks bad."

14. timojin Valued Senior Member

Let me fill you, The picture shows a distribution of temperature ( which I would expect that you would understand ) and we see a difference between norther hemisphere and the southern hemisphere . The picture shows also there is a difference in water masses .
    Question for so called scientists is why the temperature is higher at the northern hemisphere
    Do you have any answer, or the ignorance is your bliss because you don't expose your ignorance.

15. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Trolling/cesspool

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Because - for all we know - it's summer in the Northern hemisphere.

Tim, you post stuff without context and ask naive questions, looking for some sort of answer that satisfies you. Then you berate us when we don't pander to your agenda.

Absolutely nothing without any context.

Fer cryin' out loud...

Russ_Watters and exchemist like this.
  17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The picture shows cold spots on the ocean surface in the same general areas where icebergs and meltwater from large bodies of landfast ice are flowing into the ocean - and floating on top, of course, being fresh water. That's suggestive. Be interesting to check that out. Otherwise, nothing in particular occurs to me, sorry.

18. timojin Valued Senior Member

As to me , based on the overall color ( darker ) is an indication of higher temperature on the northern hemisphere , at the same time the solid masses are on the northern hemisphere . In essence it can be drawn a relation solid mass and temperature . At the same time water have a higher heat capacity so even if the energy coming from the sun is even the southern hemisphere would show itself cooler then the northern hemisphere .By the same token it can be concluded the ice on the arctic pole should melt faster then on the south pole.

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Weather. Seasons.

You know air temp is dynamic, right? Tell me you know this.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Is the graph showing the average temperature over a period of time, or the rate of increase/decrease in the average temperature over a period of time?

Please link us to the actual source where you got the graph, or else explain what it is a graph of. Without that basic information, nobody is in a position to say what it shows. It's just a coloured map.

P.S. My guess is that what it is showing is that the northern hemisphere is warming at a faster rate than the southern hemisphere, which is not particularly surprising given that (a) most of the greenhouse gases are emitted in the northern hemisphere, and (b) there's more ocean in the southern hemisphere.

timojin and exchemist like this.
  21. timojin Valued Senior Member

Tell you what , ? Please speak accurately , I don't want to guess what you have in your mind, I have that problem at home

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Here it is, put as simply as I am able.

You have posted a chart.
    It has a temperature scale on it. Given the low range of temperatures suggests that these are deviations from some kind of average.

Now listen carefully, without knowing what sort of average, how it was obtained and over what time interval, it is pointless to speculate.

You have not provided that information. This is what others have pointed out to you.

Conclusion: Either you are trolling or you are a fool or both. I think I have reached the same conclusion from considering other posts you have made. So, it's time to come clean. Which are you? A fool? A troll? Or both?

23. timojin Valued Senior Member

Your second paragraph. Have you ever mapped temperature in an walking oven ? I am surprised a man of science asking such question since the thermogram is posted . By any chance have you read a little post # 15.

Your paragraph 3 so, here you coming on, good.