use of language to deceive

charles brough

Registered Senior Member
I have spent years collecting examples of professional double-talk in my work. Anyone know of any others?

Educanto and academese are my speciality as I have to deal with it all the time in my research, but they are not found just in the sciences. Double talk also prevails as legaleese among lawyers, and psycho-babble in the pseudo-mental health fields. In the Army they have military sneak-speech (“enhanced interrogation techniques”=torture, “self harm”=attempted suicide) and in churches, they use spiritual gibberish. (“evil,” “Truth,” “holy,” “bless”).

Can anyone think of more of them?:D

charles
http://atheistic-science.com

I love watching that police show where there are police videos of all the cars being chased and wrecked by police.

I know there are a lot used by commenter of that show...as he really loves saying "obstruct the law" when what he means is a girl showing her boobies to the police officer trying to walk away from speeding ticket...or "payed the price" when the guy is lying dead after a cop hit him with his car to stop his car.

check out freepatentsonline.com - goodness, people are just trying to cover as much in as little as possible over there

Back