War In Iraq - Part Deux

Discussion in 'World Events' started by spidergoat, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They can kill themselves without our help.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sure ...under the harsh, cruel thumb of Saddam. Is that what you wish for our loved brothers in the wonderful land of Iraq?

You mean "Time to cut and run". Like we did in Vietnam, then the north came in and murdered hundreds of thousands, and stole all the money and land that anyone owned, and supported the Pahet Lao, who murdered even more people? Is that what you want, Hype?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't mind the killers killing the other killers ...in fact, I support them in doing so.

But even you, Spider, wouldn't want the innocent Iraqis to be caught in the middle and die for nothing more than believing a little different to someone else. I mean, I'm that uncaring and uncompassionate, but surely not you!

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

It is what it is Baron. Masses of innocent people get killed all the time in other countries. I'm not interested in our taxpayer money being used to fund policing of the world. Iraq is unique in that we made the current mess, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses. The ME is a clusterfuck that acts as a black hole for our defense dollars and that's not going to change anytime soon.

And yeah, I'd prefer to have left them under the harsh, cruel thumb of Saddam. There are crueler harsher thumbs out there. Not our problem.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, that's your personal opinion. But as just one taxpayer, you have little say in the matter one way or the other.

Again, that's not your's to say. Our congress voted to go to war in Iraq, and they've funded that same war since the beginning ...even while loudly voicing their weak-willed opinions. that's what we elect government officials to do ...voice their weak-willed opinions about things of which they know little or nothing.

Too late for that now ...we're already there and it seems that we're actually accomplishing something now. To cut and run now is nothing but an invitation for the terrorists to take over the country. The Iraqis simply aren't strong enough to protect themselves. If we cut and run, it's nothing less than putting numerous fox in the henhouse.

Baron Max

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Uh.. I thought that was obvious from the get go. Most of the stuff I stay here won't be enacted by Congress or some sort of American dictator.

So let them. And if the Iraqis don't like it, let them fight for themselves. Oh, I suppose I should clarify that that's my personal opinion and desire on the matter, and it probably won't be enforced by Congress.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Geez, Ashura, you're even less compassionate than I am ...and around here that's really, really going some, believe me!

Baron Max

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Heh, I just think it's both arrogant and wasteful to think we can really have that sort of influence on another country. Winning a conventional war by destroying your nation enemies is one thing. This constant post-WWII BS of nation building, promoting democracy, fighting loose coalitions of insurgents, etc., is another thing entirely. Unless we're being directly attacked by another country, I'd rather have our troops at home safe from harm, our dollars at home safe from waste (although not that safe considering the big government strain in both parties), and our democratic republic at home stronger than ever. If other people in the world like what they see but face problems like Saddam or whoever, they can fight for their right to have the same privileges we do in their own country with their own blood and wealth. If American citizens think these groups deserve our support, they can do their best to rally voluntary support from other citizens in the form of privately provided cash, supplies, and whatnot, and figure out a way to send this stuff over there.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but that's much too simplistic in this world of international treaties, friendship, agreements, commerce, international travel and tourism,.....

But just think of it this way, with your ideal as stated above, we'd have never gone to war in Europe against Hitler. He never did a thing to us, he never threatened us.

And the same conditions are somewhat true today ...what do we do if some nation like Russia invades Georgia? Do we just turn our back on them? And if so, what will the rest of the world think when they next try to negotiate a treaty with us?

We have a protectionist agreement with Tiawan. If China were to invade them, they wouldn't be threatening the USA. So you think that we should turn our backs on those old treaties, agreements? ...let Tiawan sink?

See? Things just aren't so simple any more.

Baron Max

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

What can I say, I'm a simple guy.

That's right.

Nothing, and yep.

Don't get into such treaties. "peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none."

That's right.

Nah, they're still simple to me. Problem is most people don't like my answers.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I do- They're good answers, time-honored, and reasonable. Countries ordinarily and consistently do much better, by not attempting to police the planet unilaterally. As you mentioned in quoting Jefferson, ashura- it was a founding USAmerican principle to scrupulously avoid entanglement in foreign squabbles:

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh look! Dinosaurs did walk with men!

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

And still do!

17. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/world/middleeast/07iraq.html?_r=1&ref=middleeast&oref=slogin

Hopefully now we can get a SOFA in effect by 2009.

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Americans have worn out their welcome on the Iraqi sofa and besides, the good ones were all stolen. So finish your coffee and go with peace- Home. There awaits the comfy sofa you want and deserve. May we all enjoy our grandchildren, as true armchair peacekeepers.

19. Klituu Registered Senior Member

It's taken 8 years for Americans to find out what the rest of the world already knew long ago. We twice elected a couple of real 'turkeys' to be president and vice president of the U.S.A. And as a result, GWB and Shamey went to war in Iraq over WMD ???? (What joke that was). They so loved their Iraq war that they invested over a trillion $$$ in Iraq and Afganistan (and thousands of innocent lives) to prove that they were right???? The U.S.A. and Americans are now one of the most hated countries in the world today and guess what, thanks to that trillion $$$ Iraq war investment, our economy is totally depressed and the future, if there is one, looks very very gloomy from here on out. Thanks alot GWB & Shamey. Enjoy your retirement.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So...

Dude has been finished with his tour of duty in Iraq for some months already, but... he went AWOL.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Geez, what a drag! And worse, he went AWOL after his tour in Iraq? Tell me that that makes sense to someone.

Baron Max

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He's schizo or something. He was that way before he joined.

23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Let's write him off then, and go on pretending we're on the right track as a nation.

Your turn, Spidergoat! See your recruiter. Go get the inside story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.