War on Iraq 'unjust'

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Adam, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

I do think the impending war on Iraq is unjust because it’s a grab for oil. However, I think the democracies of the world should force the others to become democracies. If I were the Prez, I’d take out Hussein if the democracies were reasonably sure that the vast majority of Iraqis would be better off in the long run.

After Iraq I’d work on the next dictator on my list. Before resorting to war, I’d offer a huge reward and extraction to an informant, who needs only be correct about where Hussein will be; a cruise missile takes care of the details. Then I’d offer huge aid to the incoming government, with the understanding that they get on my list if they squander the opportunity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Ah, yes... murder in the name of democracy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m: Peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. postoak Registered Senior Member

Well, first, it's not "a grab for oil". It's about stopping an individual who is using his vast income from oil to acquire weapons so that he can take over neighboring countries.

Since killing Hussain wouldn't be wrongful killing, it wouldn't be murder (meaning "wrongful killing").

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Postoak, you like the whole Manifest Destiny thing, don't you?

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Noooo... murder is the unlawful killing of one human by another. The assasination of another country's leader is illeagal under American law - as such, it would be murder.

:m: Peace.

10. tastybrain Mmm Mmm Good Registered Senior Member

The war is entirely motivated by oil, power, politics, and.... oh yes, did I mention, oil power and politics? if you think the us government has pure motives concerning the impending, inevitable war they are going to declare on Iraq, then you are sadly, sadly deluded. or wait, maybe happily deluded would be a better way to put it.

Bush and Cheney both have intimate bedfellows in the oil industry. both are big cronies of the multi-millionaire capitalists supporting them. Furthermore, they need some one to hunt down now that Osama is MIA. I wonder if they're going to excecute all of Hussein's look-alikes too. that would be interesting.... line'em all up, Nazi style and get'em with just one golden, presidential-election-coming-up bullet. that's just the ticket to win the ticket.

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Didn't Bushy just publicly order the CIA to run about killing more people?

12. tastybrain Mmm Mmm Good Registered Senior Member

The "US" Government

oh yeah, and do you know why it's the "US Government" ?

Because they don't give a shit about anybody but "US!"

13. tastybrain Mmm Mmm Good Registered Senior Member

get it right, Adam... it's not "killing"... it's "collateral damage"....

14. 1119 Registered Senior Member

Zanket, are you serious about that statement? Shouldn't democracy be allowed to flourish based on the popular will of its citizens rather than be forced upon?

15. tastybrain Mmm Mmm Good Registered Senior Member

democracy does NOT exist

16. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Now, I hear this argument all the time. You're probably right.

My question for you though, is this - how much does it really matter what the "real reasons" for US intervention are, if it removes a few more fanatics from the world? Do you really care that the US gets a few million barrels of oil if the world becomes a little more stable, a little more safe as a result?

17. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Squid Vicious

How stable might the world be if the USA stopped bombing people over there? Even if there are occasional small-scale conflicts such as Iraq-Kuwait, would that matter much to the rest of the world, as long as the oil flowed? Does the US policy of intervention over and over again in fact increase the likelihood that certain groups in the Middle East might wish to strike at people overseas?

18. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Australia indeed should do what it thinks is in its best interest. As should America.

And if coming to mutual international agreement fits the bill, so much the better.

If not, well, such is life.

You can't always get what you want. And friends are not family.

19. postoak Registered Senior Member

Nooo, if murder meant simply the unlawful killing of one human by another, there wouldn't be all the arguments (that there are) about whether something is murder or not -- we would just look at what the law of the land stated. When people say capital punishment is murder they aren't saying it is illegal -- they're saying it is WRONG (according to their moral code).

The U.S. would have been perfectly willing for Saddam to keep his oil if he weren't so insistent on using the money from oil sales to buy weapons so that he can take over his neighbors.

The war is about an oil grab -- Saddam's desire to grab the oil of all his neighbors.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The same goes for Bush
    both are equal in their desires

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

A good leader is willing to damn himself for the good of the world. One has to choose the lesser of two evils.

What is worse: To allow a dictator to oppress a country and kill legions of citizens innocent of any wrong other than dissent or to kill just a relative handful of men to put the general populus into power.

I would gladly kill one billion people to save the lives of one billion and two people. One person to make it worthwhile and one person to pay for my own soul damned in the process.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

that is what people hate USA for - it get's too much into other people's business.

USA has no right (not by any law of course - USA does what it wants) until UN has approved the attack

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member