Weird movies to watch out for

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Magical Realist, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I like weird movies that make you think. The more surreal and metaphysical the better. Here's a headsup on a few that are coming out this year.. source: http://io9.com/66-science-fiction-and-fantasy-movies-to-watch-out-for-1677563081

"Predestination (Jan. 9)

Ethan Hawke reunites with the Spierig Brothers (who directed him in Daybreakers) for this thriller based closely on Robert A. Heinlein's story "All You Zombies." Heinlein created thearchetypal closed-loop time travel mindfuck, and this movie works hard to do his story justice, with a haunting performance by Sarah Snook as the Unmarried Mother. You can watch some clips here.

* Blackhat (Jan. 16)

This hacking movie is the first of the films we're including just because we suspect it'll veer into pretty science-fictional territory, given that hackers seem to have magical powers, judging from the trailer.

What We Do In The Shadows (Feb. 13)

This horror mockumentary follows three vampires... and the monstrous creature that lives in their basement. Written and directed by Flight of the Conchords' Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement, who also star, this movie already came out in New Zealand to pretty unanimous acclaim. Here's the trailer.

Spring (March 20)

A horror romance directed by Ridley Scott's former interns, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, this movie is winning early buzz for defying genre classification. All we know is, it's about a man who falls in love with a woman who has a dark supernatural secret.

It Follows (March 27)

Almost left this one out... this horror movie about a woman who has a strange sexual encounter and then finds herself having weird visions and being stalked by something supernatural has insane buzz.

* White God (March 27)

Mentioning this Hungarian movie because it sounds completely insane. A young girl is separated from her dog, who searches the city for his lost owner — but when that fails, the dog leads an army of other abandoned dogs, in a canine uprising to kill all the humans.

APRIL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ex Machina (April 10)

This movie looks like another "A.I. that happens to look like a beautiful woman" film, along the lines of The Machine. But it's the directorial debut of Alex Garland, who wrote 28 Days Laterand Dredd, and the result looks stylish and sophisticated. In Ex Machina, a programmer (Domnhall Gleeson) gets invited to visit the head of the world's leading search engine company, but is surprised to be asked to evaluate a new artificial intelligence, played by Alicia Vikander.

The Moon and the Sun (April 10)

Vonda McIntyre won the Nebula Award for best science fiction novel for her book that combines historical romance with first-contact SF. And now it's become a movie, starring Pierce Brosnan and William Hurt. Can they possibly do justice to this beguiling novel? We'll find out soon enough.

Unfriended (April 17)

The "found footage" horror subgenre gets taken to the next level — this movie is told entirely through webcam footage on a computer desktop. A year after a bullied girl killed herself, she starts Skyping her friends from beyond the grave, and revealing their darkest secrets. This movie originally had the much funnier title Cybernatural.

* The Water Diviner (April 24)

Russell Crowe's directorial debut is a strange movie about a man who has an uncanny ability to sense the location of water deep underground. And after all his sons die in World War I, he goes looking for closure. Other magical-realist touches include a woman who can tell the future in coffee grounds — and she's never wrong. By most accounts, this is a pretty powerful film.

The Age of Adaline (April 24)

Speaking of magical realism... in this film, Blake Lively plays a woman who stopped aging when she turned 29, and now it's 80 years later. She's kept herself hidden away, afraid to get close to people who will age and die, and also protecting her secret — until she falls for a man and takes a fateful decision.

The Disappointments Room (Sept. 25)

Directed by D.J. Caruso (Disturbia), this is being billed as a Shining-esque supernatural thriller. A woman (Kate Beckinsale) moves into a house, where there's a mysterious locked room in the attic — and it contains unimaginable horrors. And somehow, that secret room is connected to a long-dead girl. It's co-written by Prison Break's Wentworth Miller, who also wrote Stoker.

Crimson Peak (Oct. 16)

Guillermo del Toro returns to spooky horror in between Pacific Rim movies, and this looks like a wonderful passion project. Starring Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska and Jessica Chastain, this looks like full-on gothic insanity — the long teaser we watched at Comic-Con was utterly gorgeous."

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

With your track record, I really don't trust your judgement.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Reported for trolling..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Really, someone says their opinion and you take it this way?

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Insulting for no reason is trolling. Look it up..

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

We all have a track record, good or bad.......I agree with Daecon re trusting your judgement. :shrug:
    If you want to promote the absurdities you generally promote, you must expect flack.
    And it appears from where I sit, you enjoy the confrontation.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

If you had actually read the OP instead of looking for something to insult me about, you would've noticed there's nothing to trust or distrust me about in it. I simply stated that I'm into weird movies, and then listed some upcoming ones from another website. What am I lying about? What "judgment" did I make?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Insult??? gee you are touchy.
    Like I said, we all have a track record in our posting history on this forum. Mine is not perfect and neither is yours. But I do try and maintain some decorum and credibility by sticking to science and the scientific method.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Another insult. You just can't stop talking about how you think I am can you?

So again, what judgment did I make in the OP that you (allegedly) don't trust?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Pot, Kettle, Black....

I'm speaking of the track record reflected by your woo posts in general.
    Like I said earlier, I'll stick to science and the scientific method, which has a proven track record, has helped develop and progress mankind in every conceivable way, and continues to do so.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Third time..You said you agreed that you don't trust my judgement reflected in this OP. What judgment did I make that you don't trust?

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

reported for insult.