what are they?

Discussion in 'History' started by R1D2, Dec 11, 2012.

1. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

In the newspaper I read
    So what are they to you? And which one is maybe best to learn from to you?

These men of history seem like they are all activists to me. But Mr King and Mr Kennedy seem to have pacifist ways mixed in. And they seem strong goal driven IMO. And the one I think we should best learn from is all three...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

All three had one thing in common, they were all great at getting their message across and making people believe in that message, it seems we can learn a lot from this in so much as no matter how greater an oritor or powerful a speaker maybe, we should always really examine the message that they are giving to us. How would such a nationalistic figure as Hitler be greeted today, would we all really be able to see the true nature of the message for what it actually is, makes me kind of wonder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I never really thought about them that much in my life. I do know about them and understand what they stood for but I have my own viewpoints about things which isn't anything like Hitler, little like JFK and somewhat like MLK but only in some ways.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

Hmm…historical figures that one could try to emulate or live by, well then I guess I’ll do some research into who I like and dislike. But for now I suppose I’ll just use some historical quotes as snippets into my own personality.

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte
    “[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.”
    ― Mark Twain
    “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    ― Dr. Seuss
    “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
    ― Mae West
    “In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
    ― Robert Frost
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Arch-brinksman JFK a pacifist? Competent politician - at least, good at winning elections and being admired - but his only real accomplishment in the world arena was founding the Peace Corps. On the domestic front, some minor social reform legislation; he didn't tackle the big issues.
    Dr. King did. Now, that was 'a portrait in courage' - and a true role-model.

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

JFK handled the Cuban missile crises. I'd call that a very big issue and definitely not a pacifist thing.

10. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

The pacifist JFK was finally pacified after his pacifistic actions...with Cuban Missile Crisis, Berlin Wall fortification, Space military expansion, Bay of Pigs event, and the start of Vietnam War.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

JFK @ Buddhist meditation ritual of rifle practice

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

He bloody well created that crisis! Astounding brinksmanship that nearly blew up the world; fortunately Khrushchev was both sane and brave enough not to let it happen.
    It wasn't a domestic issue, and shouldn't have been a big issue at all - Like, what skin is it off the average American's ass that Cubans don't want to be prostitutes and croupiers anymore? Domestic issues are matters like civil rights and liberties.

Space exploration, good idea; militarization of space, bad idea. This is not a hero.

12. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/11/us/florida-cop-execution/index.html

In the site provided. It reads:
    (CNN) - A former police officer convicted of multiple murders in the 1980s was executed Tuesday night in Florida.

Manuel Pardo, 56, was pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m. EST at the Florida State Prison in Starke, according to Ann Howard, spokeswoman with the Florida Department of Corrections.

His last meal consisted of....

This is the one who I read in the paper that modeled himself after Hitler.....

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well Jeeves you are entitled to your opinion, wrong as it may be. Also, there was nothing in the OP that limited the subject to domestic issues only. For the record I never agreed with the long term treatment of Cuba. But either way allowing an enemy to place nuclear weapons in Cuba would have been a killing blow to our super power status. Kennedy did exactly what was needed to end the crisis in a way that actually increased our world prestige.

14. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

How is it wrong?
    JFK did absolutely nothing to circumvent the situation. He either did nothing to reverse the policy of prior American governments, or actively perpetuated things, whichever account you read... but he did nothing to prevent it until after it eventuated.

"Your world prestige" consists entirely of starting a fight in a bar, and then finishing it, making sure the press only takes photos of the outcome of the fight... but not the events which might have precipitated it.

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Exactly where were you when JFK was president. I was there and lived through it. So I'll take my perspective over yours any day.

16. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I didn't agree with the long term treatment of cuba either. And you are correct that JFK increased our world "prestige"...

17. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Well, that's fine. Any American living during the Kennedy administration would look more kindly on him... he did some good things, domestically.
    You're more inclined to see the good, I'm a neutral observer.

So why don't you tell us exactly what he did, other than act like a cowboy throughout the entire thing?

...and by the way, you had missiles in Turkey for quite a while before the Russians had them in Cuba. I mean let's not take the moral high ground here, hmmm?
    Like I said, you start a fight, it doesn't matter how it ends... you still look like a thug to anyone other than your own hangers-on.

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Actually, in my first post, i was only comparing Kennedy to Dr. King - hence the differentiation of foreign and domestic issues. As heroes go, i'm still with King.
    (Hitler is a big fat herring and i'm heartily sick of dragging his carcass over every trail.)