What exactly would the evolutionary advantage be for having long hair on your head?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by You Killed Jesus, Jul 7, 2002.

1. You Killed Jesus 14/88 Registered Senior Member

Alright... the hair on the rest of your body only grows to a certain length, but the hair on your head grows until you cut it. What's the deal? Wouldn't it be a disadvantage, coming from a wild animal perspective?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong but if I recall correctly, hair and nails are ways for your body to get rid of waste. They are made of mainly dead cells.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actully your wrong

they ARE made of dead cells but they are not waist products

nails are remanats of our claws to kill with

hair might be like pecock feathers or it might be insulation

either way im glad my hair is long

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

That big-arse human brain requires a lot of blood passing through it. Lots of blood passing through the scalp, which is affected greatly by outside temperature. Hair helps moderate temperature extremes. In summer it keeps the sun off a bit, and in winter it keeps the heat in.

8. Nannygoat Gruff Registered Senior Member

The scalp is so highly vascular, up to 50% of the body heat you lose goes out via the scalp, especially if you are bald, or have a very thin thatch of hair (e.g. a baby).

9. kmguru Staff Member

Hair is not necessary for evolution and hence a lot of men are bald - an evolutionary change. For females , it is a different story. The bald females are weeded out from the society for other reasons.

There is a strong corelation between baldness and intelligence which may be another evolutionary trait....

Soon for the females...the pubic hair will be gone too...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Nannygoat Gruff Registered Senior Member

Maybe baldness in women was evolutionarily undesirable because hair is useful for babies to cling to?

11. Nannygoat Gruff Registered Senior Member

That's not correct, as a matter of fact. Hair on the head has a cycle and does stop growing and fall out in a mosaic pattern. The duration of the growth cycle varies between individuals. Women who can grow their hair very long have a growth cycle around 7 years, maybe longer in some cases. But most women have a shorter scalp hair cycle and find, if they try to do the 'waist length hair' thing, that they cannot grow their hair that long no matter how hard they try. I tried and could not get my hair to grow beyond my shoulder blades.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Then you have not seen many Indian women that have waist length hair....and some longer....

13. Nannygoat Gruff Registered Senior Member

kmguru, the women who can grow their hair past their waists, in one case I know of almost to the ankles, are the ones with very long hair cycles of 7 years or more.

Those of us who can't grow it anywhere near that long have much shorter hair cycles.

I hope that's clear now.