What is Ego?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Empty Dragon, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

The division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

An exaggerated sense of self-importance

Appropriate pride in oneself

Self-esteem

The conscious and permanent subject of all psychical experiences, whether held to be directly known or the product of reflective thought

An inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others

Is despelling ego nothing but a return to complete ignorance?

To despell ego does on need to despell self?

What reason would one have to despell self if he or she doesn't understand truth?

Or can one only attain truth if he balances the ego?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Egotism

The Prime Minister of the Tang Dynasty was a national hero for his success as both a statesman and military leader. But despite his fame, power, and wealth, he considered himself a humble and devout Buddhist. Often he visited his favorite Zen master to study under him, and they seemed to get along very well. The fact that he was prime minister apparently had no effect on their relationship, which seemed to be simply one of a revered master and respectful student.

One day, during his usual visit, the Prime Minister asked the master, "Your Reverence, what is egotism according to Buddhism?" The master's face turned red, and in a very condescending and insulting tone of voice, he shot back, "What kind of stupid question is that!?"

This unexpected response so shocked the Prime Minister that he became sullen and angry. The Zen master then smiled and said, "THIS, Your Excellency, is egotism."

Source: Zen Stories To Tell Your Neighbors

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

What is the example of egotism, the response of the master or the reaction of the Prime Minister. Or it was simply an example to facilitate the understanding of egotism? (Meaning away to help the prime minister realize what is egotisme)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

What do you think is the example?

Gatta go. Cya later.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

9. susan Registered Senior Member

how about+

how about

EGO - a collection of details comprised of your opinions
    and reactions against what other people may or may not
    think about you

10. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

I would say, both. I don't think there is anything egotistical per se in exclaiming that a question seems stupid to you and asking for clarification, though the master did so in an egotistical way in acting condescending and insulting to answer the man's question through demonstration. The ego takes such a response as an insult, whereas if someone isn't identifying with their ego, they might either explain what they mean or why they ask, or just let it go and not feel bothered by it in the least.

If you want a definition of ego Empty Dragon, i would say that the ego is the part of you that is fear-oriented. The Prime Minister got angry and sullen probably because he feared humiliation, not being taken seriously, and/or being treated in what he considered a disrespectful manner and yet not feeling able to do anything about it considering the teacher-student relationship that they had.

It's been said before that anger is always the result of unfulfilled expectations...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  11. kmguru Staff Member

EGO - a term made from western science of psychoanalysis perhaps related to western philosophy.

What it is doing in Eastern philosophy - I have no idea....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure what this is doing in eastern philosophy. Should probably be in psychology.

Ego is the part of your brain that consciously experiences. The rest of your brain procceses in some sort of way, which often, if not always, affects the ego.

Alter ego is when your ego devides in to 2 different personalities that alternate depending on situation. When you begin to rely on this and lose control, it becomes schitz...

13. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

The Five Skandhas

The Buddhist doctrine of egolessness seems to be a bit confusing to westerners. I think this is because there is some confusion as to what is meant by ego. Ego, in the Buddhist sense, is quite different from the Freudian ego. The Buddhist ego is a collection of mental events classified into five categories, called skandhas, loosely translated as bundles, or heaps.

If we were to borrow a western expression, we could say that "in the beginning" things were going along quite well. At some point, however, there was a loss of confidence in the way things were going. There was a kind of primordial panic which produced confusion about what was happening. Rather than acknowledging this loss of confidence, there was an identification with the panic and confusion. Ego began to form. This is known as the first skandha, the skandha of form.

After the identification with confusion, ego begins to explore how it feels about the formation of this experience. If we like the experience, we try to draw it in. If we dislike it, we try to push it away, or destroy it. If we feel neutral about it, we just ignore it. The way we feel about the experience is called the skandha of form; what we try to do about it is known as the skandha of impulse/perception.

The next stage is to try to identify, or label the experience. If we can put it into a category, we can manipulate it better. Then we would have a whole bag of tricks to use on it. This is the skandha of concept.

The final step in the birth of ego, is called the skandha of consciousness. Ego begins to churn thoughts and emotions around and around. This makes ego feel solid and real. The churning around and around is called samsara -- literally, to whirl about. The way ego feels about its situation (skandha of feeling) determines which of the six realms of existence it creates for itself.

[More...]

14. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Makes sense to me. It seems that the term ego is barley relivant to the real issue. I guess it could be the you that you belive to be you. Then with out disolving the "ego" you will for ever be observing yourself act. With out disssolving this "ego" you wil never realize direct experience.

I have alwasy been a bit cautious of buddism. I was saw its wisdom but I really did not understand it. It was mostly the ego that bothered me. Thank you for posting that page it has really helped.

15. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Evilpoet,
    I believe that what you posted MAY be possible, but to live without the Freudian ego would be impossible as it is apart of what "we" are, if not the very core.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

This should be in Human Science... but anyways...
    Balance is one of the most important laws of the universe (if not the most). The only way to attain Truth is by consciously perceving what is unconsious to you, what is not directly perceivable.

17. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

That reminded me of a quote.

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." - Arthur Schopenhauer

18. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Lol, Lykan the quote man!

Good one though!