What is the Higgs field and ?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Mark Turner, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Mark Turner Banned Banned

What is the Higg's field and is there any relationship to space time curvature ?

Thanks in advance

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geordief Valued Senior Member

I had also been wondering about that over the past few days. I think the answer may be along the lines that it causes objects to have mass and it is the objects with mass that are responsible for spacetime curvature.

(There is apparently no understanding of the actual mechanism -if that is the correct expression, for how this effect is produced).

So,as per my tenuous understanding ,the Higgs field is responsible indirectly for an effect we do not understand.

Mark Turner likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

No. Rest mass explained for some particles via Higgs mechanism, but not inertial/gravitational mass:
    https://profmattstrassler.com/2012/10/15/why-the-higgs-and-gravity-are-unrelated/

Mark Turner likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Thank you for your reply , I personally thought it was a hypothetical aether that a large mass had affect on , in the way of curving the field towards the mass .
    I guess I was incorrect In my interpretation .

Thanks again for helping me learn .

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

IMO, the Higgs field is a fundamental aspect of spacetime geometry (field) that prevents particles from moving at greater than "c". The rate of resistance is proportional to the relative slow-down in momentum in relation to "c" and the mass generated by that function.

I'm entertaining the idea that Higgs bosons which make up the Higgs field may exist as virtual particles with no physical existence but can travel faster than "c". That's why we can produce them by smashing atoms together at Cern.
    The maths were done correctly and the Cern experiment "produced" the momentary existence of the Higgs boson which then promptly decayed when not able to travel @ "c+" in its own field...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Mark Turner likes this.
  9. Mark Turner Banned Banned

I was about to say , Einstein mentions a "fabric" of spacetime , could spacetime energy be considered as the "fabric", a Higgs field ?

Thanks in advance .

TabbyStar likes this.
  10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

As I understand it, the most fundamental state the universe can exist in is as a set of energetic (quantum) fields.

TabbyStar and Mark Turner like this.
  11. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Thank you for the provided video and post .

Is the set of quantum fields , what we consider in consideration of entanglement ?

Thanks in advance .

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No clue. Entanglement may well be a property of the 12 fundamental fields. There is David Bohm's;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holomovement

Mark Turner likes this.
  13. Mark Turner Banned Banned

12 fundamental fields, could you name them all please ? I only know of a few .

Thanks in advance .

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Well there are several major matter fields and a few minor fields. Plus 4 force fields. 16 in all.
    Start at 33:30 for a breakdown.

Mark Turner likes this.
  15. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Thank you for sharing the video .

I was very impressed with Faradays ideas , it made sense .

I have no further questions at this time , thanks again for everyone's help .

Write4U likes this.
  16. geordief Valued Senior Member

I think you may have faĺlen into the trap of seeing energy as an object of some kind.

Apparently it is correctly described as a property of things rather than an object in its own right.

As I am just repeating what I have heard ,you can take that with caution (and others may correct me)

Mark Turner likes this.
  17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Can concur.

Energy is not a thing; it is an accounting system. Things have energy; things can transfer energy to other things, and even convert the type of energy in the process.

TabbyStar likes this.
  18. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Isn't energy related to work ?

Thanks in advance .

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Energy can do work - i.e. the displacement of mass.

Mark Turner likes this.
  20. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Thank you for your reply .

I've thought of another question if members don't mind answering .

An electromagnetic field is electromagnetic , what are the properties of a Higgs field in regards to electromagnetism or other ?

Thanks in advance .

21. geordief Valued Senior Member

Q-reeus likes this.
  22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v6/111

I noticed that the term "Higgs mechanism" (which gives mass to funfamental particles), was used.
    I am curious how that mechanism functions.

23. geordief Valued Senior Member

A pure guess , perhaps it will be along the same lines as to why we don't know the mechanism that causes energy-momentum to cause spacetime curvature(hope that is the right formulation).

If that is the case then maybe it will be clearer if a tested theory of quantum gravity emerges.