What is the most important subject taught in school?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Kadark, Dec 22, 2007.

?

Which is most important?

1. Mathematics

17.2%
  2. English

13.8%
  3. Biology

6.9%
  4. Chemistry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Physics

3.4%
  6. History

6.9%
  7. Social/Global Studies

1.7%
  8. Economics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Physical Education/Gymnastics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Career and Life Management

1.7%
  11. Philosophy

3.4%
  12. Law

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Geography

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Geology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Software/Computer Courses

1.7%
  16. All subjects are equally important

20.7%
  17. Other (specified in thread)

22.4%
  1. kikuchi Registered Member

Yes, because elementary school kids can understand something as abstract as logic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The smart ones will be just as impressed by your strong commend of English.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Again, it's just priorities, what helps more, math or language. It seems to me that, for the typical person, having strong primary language and weak math skills would be superior to having weak primary language and strong math skills. The former skill set is much more adaptable and usable in both employment and social contexts, the latter less adaptable in the job market and almost always suboptimal in social settings.

There are individual situations I can imagine where that might not be the case, but those are fairly limited situations.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well sure. But the smart ones won't even acknowledge your existence if you don't have that! You need something else in addition to what they consider the minimum qualifications.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peta9 Registered Senior Member

dontcha know it's dictatorial regimes that feed off of that?

8. mountainhare Banned Banned

Lessons about white male privilege. If we didn't teach kids such myths, white males wouldn't get to grow up knowing what scum they are. The horror!

But seriously, I'd say either English (you need good English everywhere in life, from job applications and interviews, to obtaining grants and writing complaint letters), or maths (budgeting). But I don't think you'd need Year 12 maths to get about OK in life.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

critical thinking and logic not really taught cept at college but it should speicclly in america

10. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

Actually it would be Reading. I didn't think I saw it in there.

And is English, actually a different subject?

Anyway, Reading is the most important subject to learn, because once a person can read, the whole wolrd becomes an open book, and people can learn most anything they want.

Or should I have said, to learn "the love of reading?"

And here's some great "educational" reading:

www.howstuffworks.com

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

feed off what?

12. peta9 Registered Senior Member

that's how they become arrogant etc by being dictatorial and abusing power.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, that is how so, but it is done within your average school as well, and made worse by the fact of presence of horrible "pop culture"

And where does dictatorial and abusing power come into military schools? The youngsters will be taught respect and responsibility, they will be educated on history and compromise, diplomacy, they will be toughened, and be made men.

What are they taught in average schools? Let's see:

1) pointless information
    2) a horrible environment riddled with "pop culture" crap
    3) their schools hide the true world. children will believe that all the world is one big, happy place. The ideal example military school would show them, would slap them in the face with the information one what the world REALLY is, and train them for that.
    4) Schools teach children to submit, to restrain themselves from a higher calling

And worst of all, or one of the worst, they make the student so steretypically average. He will grow up, get a boring job, and die.

They keep from him the facts that he could have a higher calling, he could rise to be a conquerer, but no, they want to make him the "average citizen"

Big, big problem. That's why America has never had any Napoleans, the people don't even THINK TO try to do something greater.

14. peta9 Registered Senior Member

alright, i see some positive aspects that could be implemented but a higher calling isn't just military related. As a matter of fact, too much militarism can stifle creativity and make people 'stereotypical' and controlled as well. There needs to be a sane balance.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Well, a military school is the closest term

A military+religious school is perfect for making top Generals, Businessmen, and Leaders, not so much scientists

16. Gustav Banned Banned

math
    matter of life and death

17. Gustav Banned Banned

grunt
    ooffff
    grrr
    grunt
    owwww!
    bash
    wahhh

18. peta9 Registered Senior Member

militarism is all about control, roteness and subjugation. That's why there is a strict chain of command in the military. it definitely doesn't encourage "thought" or "creativity" which is essential for advancement.

i don't see any greatness besides some measure of discipline and order to be extracted from that for the whole.

i don't see anything wrong with pop culture either anymore than anything else.

19. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

The people that choose mathematics made a mistake, anything outside basic calculus is relatively impractical bull kaka,you won'tuse it in everyday matters unless you are some kind of research scientist or engineer. Arithimetcis and some algebra are what we use everyday. You don't have to master mathematics to become successful, many people become successful without knowing mathematics, but try becoming successful without basic reading and writing- that is a mathematical impossibility.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, perhaps, but it also plants the roots of success: confidence, strength, and discipline

You don't? To the youth, to the culture? It's a poison.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Language skills - reading, writing.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That's to an extent. At what point does it stop being useful? I personally have never had to use the knowledge of all these clauses, phrases, and crap like that.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Every subject for the avarage person is to an extent.