What qualifies as science?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Jozen-Bo, Apr 25, 2017.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

One contribution of fractals might be the exclusion of some naive heuristics and oversimplifications of intuitive approach consequent on attending to them. They prevent certain errors of simplification, and enforce considerations of complexity. There is a tendency in the hard sciences , if I am not mistaken, to regard ornate or complex or intricate manifestations of stuff as somehow decorative, froth on the wave. Fractals can demonstrate that in many circumstances if you don't know the froth, you don't know the wave - fundamentally.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'd be happy to accept that, certainly. But again this seems to be hypothetical , or possible future, uses of fractal mathematics, rather than real current uses, in actual predictive models. I don't see fractal maths in practical use in science in the way that, for instance, complex numbers are used, or symmetry groups, say.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that river has abandoned his/her effort to provide instances of brilliant BB critics?

It seems to me that Write4U has abandoned his/her effort to provide answers to the issues I raised?

Ah well, their loss.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.