Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by yesemina, Jun 11, 2003.

1. yesemina Registered Senior Member

I would just like some thoughts on this, I just want to get it out in the open to see what people think.

So, before I found Eastern philosophy (which is what I prefer to refer to Buddhism,Taoism,etc)...I kept reasoning and reasoning and my mind would go in 50 different directions, considering any possibility within the scope of my own mind, on varied situations. I found that it was a sort of trap, I was wandering around in a maze where something could be looked at in a million different ways and there were endless factors involved in every situation to consider. At the time, I thought this was helping me... I thought that by considering every different situation, I would come to the best conclusion and I could cling to it; I'd have sharper vision and could get to the bottom of things easier. However, the contemplation never ends. I'm sure you can relate. No matter what you decide to cling to while thinking about different possibilities, you can always be wrong. There is always another factor you may not have considered.

While it is good to contemplate some things in this way, at the same time there is no way out. A conclusion reached by constant contemplation within the scope of your own mind is just another conclusion among an infinity in number, and should only be used as a tool in certain situations, but nothing to depend on. Nothing to grasp at. No way of looking at things is better than the other, it is just what works best for you.

So, then I came upon the Eastern philosophy, and I got rid of this constant reasoning. I still thought about things, but I didn't do unnecessary contemplation where my mind was going in 50 million different directions. Instead, I looked at all different perceptions and possibilities just for what they were and really didn't grasp at anything. I reached fairly good clarity, grew wiser, and found that after I had an experience of expanded consciousness, I found I could make decisions just as easily and didn't feel like I was being lazy by not wanting to reason things out constantly anymore.

Then I met someone still stuck in the constant reasoning in every different direction, so much so that it would almost drive me insane to go in all the different directions the brain could take you again. So where I am now, is that while constant contemplation and reasoning within the scope of your own mind is quite limiting, it can also help you articulate and come to new ideas that you may have already known but did not realize. While you're doing it, it feels like you are getting somewhere when in reality you're just chasing after different possibilities, one not necessarily better than the other; although more and more definite.

The question is... where do you draw the line? I see the good in reasoning and reasoning in some situations, but then why do it if it really leads to nowhere but different ways of looking at things, one not better than the other? When you feel as though you are looking at every single situation or problem in different perspectives, you are really looking at everything but still within the scope of your own mind. This is good in some aspect... but why debate what should be right and what should be wrong on certain issues when really not one is better than the rest, and you can reach the same conclusions by looking above it all without too much unnecessary contemplation?

It's kind of like being lost on one side of a mountain looking for an escape, lost in subjectivity, searching for answers in one limited scope of the mind. Then there's what I'm doing - looking at the whole mountain for what it is, and making no judgments. This person I have come across has confused me, I think. I'm not sure which path to take - although I suppose I could do a mix of both? Haha.

Where do you draw the line?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

To the point when you get a headache and a certain disgust for yourself....

......with every decision and every quest there are always YES YES YES and then NO NO NO it is just a matter of doing what you think in the end will reap better results. You will never have a sure mind about any huge decision you make in life...(or if you're like me you'll bitch and whine and contemplate even about buying a bagel - the pros and cons of it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)...the only thing you can do is trust your judgement and hope it works out.

But what really interests me is that some people who scoff at the idea of Hope, fate and religion all together what do they believe in when times get tough....when they come to a fork in the road who do they talk to inside their heads? do they fear their judgement and cling to hope when it gets to daunting to not believe?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fredx Banned Banned

nice question seargentlard.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

yesemina... man, I think I can relate to exactly where you're coming from. I've been stuck in my head most of my life examining my own version of infinite answeres to infinite questions. I find it incredibly stimulating, but of course there is always opportunity cost. To be a way, you cannot be all other ways.

I'd say it's a matter of prioritizing your head. Sure there are a million different ways you can pick your nose, but why put the mental (or physical, ICK) effort into determining the feasibility of the first 23832 ways you can think of? What's the payoff? There's your answer.

Consider the reward for your efforts. If you are going to be thinking all the time, don't waste your time with stupid shit (unless of course it suits your fancy at the time)... go to the hardcore issues (this is a good one I think).. issues that really matter to you.. explore them. Exercise the discipline when it comes to stupid shit, but when things matter to you.. let your mind really go wild with it.

Well, the deal is there is no right answer. You'll do what you need to do to learn what you think you need to learn. I was just trying to offer a tidbit from what I think I've learned.

OH, and to stay sane: Never take life too seriously and never stay where you're not appreciated.

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

what everyone said. I call it the "usefull scope" of the problem and the solution. You could look at every single possibility, but alot of the possible outcomes are not likely enough to make thinking about them worth the energy. Simply noting "Yeah, I guess that's possible," and then pushing it aside is enough, IMO. This saves time and resources for the more likely outcomes.

9. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, this is very good advice.

10. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Haha, yes, I agree, I think that's very good advice. Advice taken.

Anyway, I had to get out my confusion because it was kind of like which path do I choose with this guy - debate stuff that I feel is meaningless because even when you analyze all the different possibilities of the situation and grasp onto one or the other, it's still within the scope of your own mind and over something that really doesn't need to be analyzed. It would be just as good if you held no opinion (probably even better to avoid error in perception) than a certain opinion on the subject of debating in this case because it doesn't matter how you decide to look at it unless you're really trying to solve something important. Or, on the other hand, would I choose the path I had been taking the past few months, getting rid of all unnecessary thought processes so that my thinking would not drive me insane, and only thinking over things worth thinking about.

Anyway, I decided to just develop wonderful versatility.

Just play in the ideas, but at the same time don't cling to them. Why didn't I think of that before? I think I was afraid that my newly developed way of looking at things (called "the big picture") would crumble and I would start looking at things with a (relatively) limited focus again. Haha. I dunno. It is kind of like he is lost looking at one side of the mountain searching for answers while I'm seeing the aerial view. Speaking of which, I really like this quote: "To focus on a single cloud is to forget the sky."

Whoo, this is like a daily journal. Anyway, thanks guys.

Liz

11. kmguru Staff Member

To quote Rajagopals:

All perception is inferential; all inference uncertain; all theory, a combination of perception and inference, is there for educated guessing.

So, guess away...after learning, analyzing, infering...that is the best one can do under the circumstances....

Let the universe unfold as it should...around you....

12. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

I've been in many a wierd situation, and for me... I just don't make a decision, I don't draw a line. What I am, what I think... it's just in flux.

13. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Hmm... sounds good.

14. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Life is a balancing act. sometimes it's better for you to be more thoughtful, sometimes more clear-headed. Pay attention to yourself, only you know what you need, and it changes all the time. There is no "one" answer.

15. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

The measure of consciousness fashions the world

Perfection is through the veil of delusion

Overcoming delusion and by boundless extension innate knowledge is achieved

Walking is the second ray (of consciousness)

The Self is the actor

The inner Self is the stage

The senses are the spectators

The pure state is achieved by the power of the intellect

Freedom (creativity) is achieved

As here so elsewhere

(All rights reserved)

16. river-wind Valued Senior Member

very good points, all