Where is the next gravity wave detection?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Ultron, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Ultron Registered Senior Member

I wonder where is the next gravity detection in aLIGO. What I know the first detection was during test run of aLIGO in september 2015 and it was published in february 2016. Everybody was excited about the new possibilities of exploring universe by analysing gravity waves.

Since then there is surprising quietness, no further detection, no rumors about any new detection.
    Seems like it was very lucky coincidence that the first detection was done even before the official start of aLIGO and then 8 month later it seems that nothing happens, like they have lost their luck.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Well try to remain patient and be thankful they have at least one observation to date.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

It was lucky. It is just a matter of time before the next event.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

The detectors are 'off line' for a while.
    https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/WA/news/ligo20160112

Ultron likes this.
  8. Ultron Registered Senior Member

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Info that was and is well known to anyone really and truly interested in the aLIGO experiment, and not just to try and fabricate some conspiracy nonsense.

10. Ultron Registered Senior Member

Your life must be truly miserable, because it seems that the best you can do it is to troll around all day here.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not at all my friend! Quite the opposite in fact!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And again, I stand by my claim that if you were truly interested in science, rather than finding some fabricated nonsense or reason to question it, you would have known that it was down.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nothing btw wrong in critically questioning science, the problem arises when people with agendas claim or suggest that experiments such as GP-B and aLIGO were fraudulent.
    That is real 9/11, Faked Moon landing conspiracy type nonsense...or do you question those too?

13. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Why am I not surprised that these kinds of accusations are being fired at a new member which just asked a simple question and then said thank you to the response? Implications clearly have no real basis in these forums!

14. The God Valued Senior Member

On OP...

Ideally switch on the aLIGO, and probability is that you shd get it on every on....

Switch on, take a walk for a cig and come back...lo you will have a recording of GW...

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

We have already had one troll claim that both were fraudulent in no uncertain terms: As usual with trolls, no evidence, nothing other then a religious driven agenda to try and invalidate cosmology.
    The OP also seems to infer the same.
    So all I can say is that as usual, "cranks of a feather, line up together"

Let me again reiterate....
    Nothing btw wrong in critically questioning science, the problem arises when people with agendas claim or suggest that experiments such as GP-B and aLIGO were fraudulent.
    That is real 9/11, Faked Moon landing conspiracy type nonsense...or do you question those too?

16. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Do you still believe that gravitational waves were detected by BICEP2 at the south pole?

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I think that has been already done with the Planck Satellite showing probably dust contamination...So? You have heard of the aLIGO confirmation I take it?
    And from what I hear there's even more data still being considered while it is down for overhaul.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So your questions been answered. So why ask that out of the blue?
    Are you insinuating that science got it wrong? Yep, they certainly did get it wrong in this case, and it was their peers within mainstream science [the Planck contingent] that showed they were wrong..........Certainly not any half baked amateur/lat person on a remote science forum.
    [Although we certainly had a couple of actors immediatley claiming "I told you so"

]

19. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

You seem pretty confident about finding scientific truth out of one single experiment. In the scientific process, it takes multiple runs of an experiment to verify if the results are actually valid, so from a purely scientific point of view, no one should take this single result as undeniable truth. I think there is justification for skepticism when they had so recently failed to verify an experiment which tried to prove the exact same thing, but I don't think that is the main reason why Ultron does not trust the results of the experiment. He doesn't trust the results, because he doesn't believe in the curvature of spacetime. He believes that massless particles traveling the speed of light have relativistic mass, and the bending of light in the presence of gravity can partly be due to the photons gravitational influence. Then I doubt he will ever answer your question, and I don't think that is an admittance to guilt. Some people just don't believe that they should have to defend themselves when there is no justification or basis of something that appears to just be insulting. Just like I almost ignored your half baked amateur remark, because I have gotten so accustomed to your flaming. It is only a symptom of receiving repeated verbal abuse, so you would never be able to find any reliable information from using it.

20. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

21. Ultron Registered Senior Member

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

There were a number of results and they were kept "secret"to research the data properly and reduce any possibility of mistakes after the BICEP2 experiment was shown to be faulty.