Whinging

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by DaveC426913, Aug 9, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Did You Know?
    Whinge isn't just a spelling variant of "whine." "Whinge" and "whine" are actually entirely different words with separate histories. "Whine" traces to an Old English verb, "hwinan," which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When "hwinan" became "whinen" in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; "whine" didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. "Whinge," on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, "hwinsian," which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." "Whinge" retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

I have seen/heard it only on the internet & I believe only the last few years.

<>

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat Valued Senior Member

Those sound exactly the same.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

They do, don't they?

But I guess an electric motor can literally whine, but it only metaphorically whinge. The difference being that a motor can experience (mechanical) distress but not (millennial) discontent.

iceaura likes this.
  8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I like "grizzle" the way English babies do when teething, or adolescents when forced to do house-chores.
    They don't turn grey; they just " cry continuously but not very loudly, or complain all the time"

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

10. Baldeee Registered Senior Member

Whinge is a word you'd see or hear quite often in ol' Blighty.
    We're very good at it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That and queueing.